Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Default Stop recording project when switching to different project tab ?

Hi ,

Is it possible to pause recording when switching away to a different project tab ?
I need this in a live band situation, where some songs are using backing tracks, and we are also recording to the same project of where those tracks are. Other songs are using VSTi instruments, and i'd like to record the rest of the setlist there.

So imagine I am on the 'VST' project, I hit record..the band life instruments are recorded.
Then the second songs has backing tracks, so i switch to that project tab. Reaper should pause recording the first project, until I switch back to it, when it should resume

Is that possible ?

Thanks

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Hi ,

Is it possible to pause recording when switching away to a different project tab ?
I need this in a live band situation, where some songs are using backing tracks, and we are also recording to the same project of where those tracks are. Other songs are using VSTi instruments, and i'd like to record the rest of the setlist there.

So imagine I am on the 'VST' project, I hit record..the band life instruments are recorded.
Then the second songs has backing tracks, so i switch to that project tab. Reaper should pause recording the first project, until I switch back to it, when it should resume

Is that possible ?

Thanks

Yves
Anyone ?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Well you could do it with a couple custom actions: pause and switch next/prev tab, or a cycle action to better control toglle direction. You'd need to remember not to use the mouse for switching tabs. Script would be best.

Personally, I would run 2 instances of Reaper and route tracks from one to the other via ReaRoute. Then everything is always recorded into one project in the second Reaper, while you do all your live stuff and tab switching in the first one.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well you could do it with a couple custom actions: pause and switch next/prev tab, or a cycle action to better control toglle direction. You'd need to remember not to use the mouse for switching tabs. Script would be best.

Personally, I would run 2 instances of Reaper and route tracks from one to the other via ReaRoute. Then everything is always recorded into one project in the second Reaper, while you do all your live stuff and tab switching in the first one.
Do you mean two instances on two separate PC's then ? As I can't seem to run two instances of Reaper on one machine (I'm on a mac)

Yves
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #5
yhertogh

Quote:
Do you mean two instances on two separate PC's then ? As I can't seem to run two instances of Reaper on one machine (I'm on a mac)

Yves
Actually, even if that approach would work, it isn't what I want. I would want my recorded audio to end up in the same project as the backing tracks, for future mixing.

Essentially i want Reaper to STOP recording background projects, which it currently is not doing

Yves
Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
lexaproductions

Well there's an option to NOT run background project. I guess that could be a quick fix
Look for it in the action list window

If not, cycle actions would be my best bet.
lexaproductions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
Well there's an option to NOT run background project. I guess that could be a quick fix
Look for it in the action list window

If not, cycle actions would be my best bet.
Unfortunately that option does not pause the recording on the project you click away from.

Indeed cycle actions is what i ended up implementing, very cool btw!

Thanks all!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Do you mean two instances on two separate PC's then ? As I can't seem to run two instances of Reaper on one machine.
I guess you got sorted, but no I meant the same machine. It's an option under prefs>general>check for multiple instance.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
I guess you got sorted, but no I meant the same machine. It's an option under prefs>general>check for multiple instance.
Aah, thanks fox, I didn't know about that one. I'm not sure if I'll have a need for it anytime soon, but it's good to know.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
ashcat_lt

It's not immediately clear to me why you even need two projects here. Why can't the backing tracks and VSTis live in the same project? Folder some things and toggle mute state if absolutely necessary. I completely do not trust multiple project tabs even in a studio setting and definitely wouldn't mess with them in a live situation. Maybe it's something with my machines, but I've just seen too many crashes going back and forth.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
lexaproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
...I completely do not trust multiple project tabs even in a studio setting and definitely wouldn't mess with them in a live situation. Maybe it's something with my machines, but I've just seen too many crashes going back and forth.
Having all your songs on separate projects are a HUGE plus. Being able to edits projects independently without messing with the others is safer to me. Digital Performer has been doing it for decades and it been a big selling point for them.
I route all my tabs to a main routing tab where I disabled the playhead.
With Clever use of action markers, it's easy to build medleys and the transitions are seemless.

It's been ROCK SOLID on tour. Maybe the most reliable part of my setup
Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
ashcat_lt

Quote:
It's been ROCK SOLID on tour. Maybe the most reliable part of my setup
Well, it IS possible that I'm just paranoid.

But if so, it's a symptom of a sort of PTSD. I've seen (and heard) some horrible shit happen trying to switch between tabs. Oh the horrors I've seen! Maybe it was years ago on a different system, but I still wake up screaming sometimes. (Not actually trying to make light of a truly debilitating disease that impacts far too many people in today's society!)
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
I've seen (and heard) some horrible shit happen trying to switch between tabs. Oh the horrors I've seen!
It's pretty butter smooth nowadays. Devs fixed some stability problems there recently. Even reverb tails smoothly fade out when switching tabs.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
lexaproductions

Quote:
Well, it IS possible that I'm just paranoid.

But if so, it's a symptom of a sort of PTSD. I've seen (and heard) some horrible shit happen trying to switch between tabs. Oh the horrors I've seen! Maybe it was years ago on a different system, but I still wake up screaming sometimes. (Not actually trying to make light of a truly debilitating disease that impacts far too many people in today's society!)
I'm telling you man. I use it on BIG gigs every week. I NEVER even experienced a simple OSX beachball. This will be my setup for a looong while. I've been Switching from one tab to another using action markers, Segways and all.
ROCK SOLID.

Reaper's most hidden gem in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
I've seen (and heard) some horrible shit happen trying to switch between tabs.
Quote:
It's pretty butter smooth nowadays. Devs fixed some stability problems there recently. Even reverb tails smoothly fade out when switching tabs.
Quote:
I use it on BIG gigs every week. I NEVER even experienced a simple OSX beachball.
One of my clients who plays live with Reaper, uses tabs to load up all the songs he needs for a set, and then simply goes through them.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote