Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
caleb
Human being with feelings

Default The FX Chain window

One thing that annoys me about the FX Chain window is that alot of screen real estate is taken up with seeing the actual chain (browser at left).

I understand you can double-click on an item in the chain to open it in an individual window, but that's a two step process I'd rather avoid in some cases.

It's understandible in a way because it's a chain and how is REAPER going to know which one in the chain you want opened separately.

However, I was wondering (especially in cases where there is only one fx in the chain) whether you can open it immediately in a separate window without going through the default window first.

I hope this question makes some sense.

Regards
Caleb
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Plugins prefs > Autofloat new fx windows.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Plugins prefs > Autofloat new fx windows.
That's for new fx, I think he's talking about old fx, already in the chain.

This has always been one of my biggest hang ups with reaper, I think I read awhile back that J was going to rework the fx chain window for 2.0.......or maybe I dreamt it..

--
Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
caleb

Correct - I meant items already added.

I wonder how the FX Chain is going to be changed. I like the concept of the chain for the purposes of being able to save them as "presets", I also like the way you can organise an individual chain with items before VSTi and after for example. It makes sense in a way. There's something Traktion-like about it to.

But I just have a problem with the hassle of accessing items within the chain itself.

Sure you can dock certain items, but that's not really practical all the time - especially for large plug-ins (like EnergyXT) unless you have a second monitor.

I think at the moment this is an area where I'm feeling bogged down in REAPER.

Regards
Caleb
Old 03-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

I have to say that a second monitor is one of life's little necessities with any such program. Though having what would have been in the second monitor in the undocked docker and a better key than alt/d mapped to bring it up (or more often, down) and the FX set to open only one window therein, comes close.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

(If the size of the undocked docker could be locked, though, it would be good! - or is there a way already??)
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
caleb

A second monitor would definitely have advantages - you are right.

You know what would be nice, if you could minimise the the docked window so that only the tabs are showing and being able to configure the size of each docked item individually.

Therefore, when you click Mixer it automatically takes up a certain amount of the screen, but if you hit on the EnergyXT docket (for me) it automatically takes up the "full screen".

But still have the tabs showing at the bottom so you can click from a "full screen" to another docked item.

And then have a short-cut to minimise again at any time giving the arranger the full screen.

Aside from that it might be nice to be able to pick a default FX item in each FX chain and this one will be the one that displays when you click the FX icon.

Oh well - that's just what sprang to mind.

It sounds a bit like I'm trying to squeeze some of EnergyXT's docking/tab functionality into REAPER in a way. But maybe Justin has a better idea on how to handle all this.

Regards
Caleb
Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

Hmm, interesting idea (configurable height per tab item) - which should apply no matter how you arrive at the window (eg the FX window would be preconfigured to be a certain size when you press the FX key to show it in the docker).
Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #9
caleb

Also - I think you should be able to dock an effect as well as or instead of an effect chain.

At the moment, you can only float an effect separately from the chain. It would be nice if you could dock it as well.

And (here's another), it would good to be able to name the docking tabs what you want to name them. If I dock EnergyXT for example I get something like: 'FX chain for track 1 "EnergyXT"'. I think I'd much rather name it 'EnergyXT' and take up far less space. Having the option would be good.

Regards
Caleb
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
caleb

I think I may start a thread on this one if the feature requests forum.

Regards
Caleb
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
env

+1 for Caleb ideas
env is offline   Reply With Quote