Old 02-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
halfshavedyaks
Human being with feelings

Default Motu 828ES and reaper glitch

I just got a Motu 828ES.

It works great with Reaper except for one weird glitch.

Every time I open Reaper it sets the sample rate to 96khz - even if the project that is opened is at 88khz or some other rate. It does this even when the 828ES is already set to 88khz and I'm opening a 88khz project!

To get it to set the sample rate correctly for the session I have to open the project settings window and close it again, then try to start playing, then click once in the track window, and then it resets the interface.

By comparison on my fireface 800 it is also possible to end up with a session playing with the interface at the wrong rate, but it didn't do it when opening reaper for the first time, only when switching between sessions in tabs.

In general it seems to me that some work needs to be done on making sure that the interface is always set to the rate specified in the project settings.

Could I be doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere that will avoid this? It isn't really a big deal, but it's an extra annoying little task every time I open Reaper.
halfshavedyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:33 PM   #2
Stella645

Do you have Request Sample Rate ticked in prefs?
How about allow projects to override device sample rate?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:19 PM   #3
halfshavedyaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Do you have Request Sample Rate ticked in prefs?
How about allow projects to override device sample rate?

I don't have "request sample rate" set as I want the project to set it rather than a global pref.

I do have "allow projects to override device sample rate" set as I want the project to set it.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:21 AM   #4
Stella645

Then I have no idea....if it's only the MOTU it could be owrth trying different usb sockets etc.....I have had some odd sample rate switching issue with MOTU in the past that disappeared when I changed hardware.

Just seems odd that the motu is receiving a 96k request from somewhere when you open Reaper if nothing in Reaper is set to 96k....have you checked your windows settings in case it's windows setting it and then Reaper can't unlock it.....that would be similar to the issues I was having.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:17 PM   #5
halfshavedyaks

I should have said - I'm on MacOS 12.7.3, and connecting to the Motu via Thunderbolt.

However I think that there is effectively a secret setting in reaper. If you set the project rate to be the default for new projects, then reaper sends that rate to the interface on every boot, and is slow/ineffective at overriding it when an actual project at a different rate loads.

What the default is set to isn't displayed anywhere.

I had my default set to 96k, but most of my projects were at 88k.

I'm not 100% sure of this yet, I need to test more.

Seems to me that it's a reaper bug - reaper should only use the default project setting when creating a new project, or opening one that doesn't have a rate set in project settings. When reaper opens a project that has a rate set in project settings it should use that.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:54 AM   #6
Zeno

Hmm... Everything works fine here with my Motu 828es.

Is your device up to date? firmware? drivers?

Have you tried whether this problem also occurs with a freshly installed reaper portable to rule out the possibility that it is caused by a setting you have made?
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote