Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
DruMunkey
Human being with feelings

Default Constant disk access to c:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG

I'm on Win10 64, running 64bit Reaper, current version.

When I run reaper, I'm getting constant disk thrashing. I've verfied in Resource monitor that it's writing to c:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG or .LOG2

It happens as soon as I open Reaper, with no project open, etc. so it's not a VST or something. It's also odd that it's writing in system32 folder.

From Googling, it appears that these .LOG files are actually used by windows registry.

I'm positive it's Reaper because on a fresh re-boot, I don't see any activity to these log files UNTIL I open Reaper.

Anybody have any ideas?
DruMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

OTOH, it's very unlikely that REAPER is causing it, because it does not use the registry in any way (only the installer writes to it on first install, and reads the install path from there when you run the installer again). I'm not clear what the purpose of the file is but I've read that Windows is using it for a backup of the registry software hive. Are you getting any problems from this activity?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
DruMunkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
OTOH, it's very unlikely that REAPER is causing it, because it does not use the registry in any way (only the installer writes to it on first install, and reads the install path from there when you run the installer again). I'm not clear what the purpose of the file is but I've read that Windows is using it for a backup of the registry software hive. Are you getting any problems from this activity?
The only "problem" is constant disk spinning. And it is 100% verified that it has to be Reaper.

Reboot
No constant disk activity
Start Reaper
Constant disk activity, even with empty project
Quit Reaper
Disk Activity stops
Start Reaper
Quit Reaper
Disk Activity stops
Start Reaper
Quit Reaper
Disk Activity stops
Start Reaper
Quit Reaper
Disk Activity stops

Literally just did the above. It's something in Reaper, or something reaper is accessing, or something.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
karbomusic

That is a transaction log for the SOFTWARE hive of the registry. It's actually very important. If you know what transaction logs are basically, temporary storage for data that needs committing. In this case if the OS were in the middle of writing to the SOFTWARE hive and say the power was lost, it will use the transaction log to replay the missing data.

Thusly, high activity to SOFTWARE.LOG hints at high activity to the registry. A tool such as Process Monitor would tell you what is doing/causing all the reads/writes to that registry hive. Just so you know, don't touch any files in that /config directory, that's the registry. It likely won't let you but just letting you know that mucking with those contents will lead to an unbootable system.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMunkey View Post
The only "problem" is constant disk spinning. And it is 100% verified that it has to be Reaper.
Make sure you launch Reaper with zero plugins of any type. Possibly, a fresh portable install as a test because it is entirely possible a VST could be initializing and doing this and not be Reaper at all. Procmon as mentioned above is going to show Reaper (based on your previous post) but with Reaper being a host to plugins, it doesn't actually 'have' to be the culprit at all.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
DruMunkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That is a transaction log for the SOFTWARE hive of the registry. It's actually very important. If you know what transaction logs are basically, temporary storage for data that needs committing. In this case if the OS were in the middle of writing to the SOFTWARE hive and say the power was lost, it will use the transaction log to replay the missing data.

Thusly, high activity to SOFTWARE.LOG hints at high activity to the registry. A tool such as Process Monitor would tell you what is doing/causing all the reads/writes to that registry hive. Just so you know, don't touch any files in that /config directory, that's the registry. It likely won't let you but just letting you know that mucking with those contents will lead to an unbootable system.
Yea, I kinda knew that stuff, and it was using Process Monitor that helped me realize what was causing the HD to spin so much. I've beed through Resource Monitor, Process Monitor, sysinternals stuff, etc. and I can't figure out what Reaper, or what may be "connected" to Reaper is doing that's causing my drive to spaz out...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
DruMunkey

Quote:
Make sure you launch Reaper with zero plugins of any type. Possibly, a fresh portable install as a test because it is entirely possible a VST could be initializing and doing this and not be Reaper at all. Procmon as mentioned above is going to show Reaper (based on your previous post) but with Reaper being a host to plugins, it doesn't actually 'have' to be the culprit at all.
Is there a magic key combo to launch Reaper in a "clean" way that won't jack up my install?

Also, I'm not savy on how VST's work in this regards, but if I don't have ANY VST's on any tracks or in a master slot, are they still "active"?

In other words, with no active VST's, are they still doing something in the background?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Is there a magic key combo to launch Reaper in a "clean" way that won't jack up my install?
A portable install for testing is the absolute cleanest without having to change any current settings.

Assuming you are seeing this behavior after Reaper has fully loaded and is idle with just a blank project sitting there; the only thing left is touching VSTs while launching which it can/will do. I'm not sure it would initialize them though, it should be just checking for new ones. That could cause registry 'reads' but shouldn't be a problem unless you had VST directories with lots and lots of files such as presets etc. That usually has the symptom of a very long launch then it stops after Reaper has fully loaded.

Are you running Reaper with standard or elevated privileges? AKA normal or "As Administrator".

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
DruMunkey

Quote:
Are you running Reaper with standard or elevated privileges? AKA normal or "As Administrator".
Normal. Should that make any difference?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
karbomusic

Normal is fine, just a sanity check.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
DruMunkey

Quote:
Normal is fine, just a sanity check.
Do you know of a tool that would let me "see" what is actually writing to these .LOG files? Nothing I have used so far will tell me what's initiating it.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
And it is 100% verified that it has to be Reaper.
Obviously "something" detects, that Reaper is running... But What might be the one ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Nothing I have used so far will tell me what's initiating it.
My first reply has a link.

However....

Quote:
I've verfied in Resource monitor that it's writing to c:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG or .LOG2
Does resource monitor show reaper.exe as the process doing the writing under "Disk"?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #14
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

If I understood that right only the registry can access that file, in which case the correct question would be what's accessing the registry when you start REAPER.

- Some AV software/3rd-party firewall etc. could be causing this.

- Even if you start REAPER empty, there could still be a plug-in in the (global) 'Monitoring FX' chain.

- Go Preferences->Plug-ins->Rewire/DX and uncheck all checkboxes in the "Direct-X (DX)" section.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
If I understood that right only the registry can access that file
Correct.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
DruMunkey

Quote:
My first reply has a link.

However....

Does resource monitor show reaper.exe as the process doing the writing under "Disk"?
Yea, I've tried PM, but as you allude to in your second point, the process is
"system"... But like I said, I'm 1000% positive that it's Reaper... Maybe Reaper is hitting something in the system THEN it's hitting this log/reg thing...

Ugh... Fucking time to ditch PC and start using hardware!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
DruMunkey

Quote:
If I understood that right only the registry can access that file, in which case the correct question would be what's accessing the registry when you start REAPER.

- Some AV software/3rd-party firewall etc. could be causing this.

- Even if you start REAPER empty, there could still be a plug-in in the (global) 'Monitoring FX' chain.

- Go Preferences->Plug-ins->Rewire/DX and uncheck all checkboxes in the "Direct-X (DX)" section.
OK, I unchecked all those... No joy...

I'm gonna have to just go through and just get rid of all plugins I'm not using, or are 32 bit and see if that helps.

I've got nothing in global monitoring path either.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Yea, I've tried PM, but as you allude to in your second point, the process is
"system"... But like I said, I'm 1000% positive that it's Reaper... Maybe Reaper is hitting something in the system THEN it's hitting this log/reg thing...

Ugh... Fucking time to ditch PC and start using hardware!
It's really easy to install a portable version of Reaper to a folder and see if it does the same thing. That would retain all current settings of your default install while also allowing you to see if a vanilla install with no VSTs (aka the portable) still has the same behavior.

I expected PM to show Reaper.exe, are we sure there isn't some AV or similar being invoked when it sees Reaper running or similar?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
DruMunkey

Quote:
It's really easy to install a portable version of Reaper to a folder and see if it does the same thing. That would retain all current settings of your default install while also allowing you to see if a vanilla install with no VSTs (aka the portable) still has the same behavior.

I expected PM to show Reaper.exe, are we sure there isn't some AV or similar being invoked when it sees Reaper running or similar?
AV=AntiVirus or Audio/Video?

I think I may have solved it... I uninstalled a bunch of stuff, including NVidea's Geforce Experience... The point about DX stuff got me wondering if there are some UI elements in Reaper that are calling video drivers or something. Rebooted, loaded Reaper, loaded project, and while software.log will pop up here and there, it's not the 400,000 to 600,000 B/sec write situation i was seeing earlier... Yea, it was that nuts...