Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 AM   #81
cubic13
Human being with feelings

@krahosk
Thanks ! let me know how things will go...

@hopi
It's normal that you can't redimension the extended area as the theme is built with the set mcp.extmixer.mode [1] statement, which means that the panels containing all the controls have a fixed vertical size, this to preserve the dimensions of all the graphic stuff in them. About the separators, I kept their overall look similar to the regular strip ones to keep a unified view of the mixer, but yes, I could add full blank ones also, now. This brings me to the subject of your mail. I have tested PNGGauntlet on all the AbbeyRoad graphic files and got this :

Compressed 410/410 files. Saved 336.05 KB total in 1:49.

The .ReaperThemeZip file obtained after the process being 1846 kb instead of 2124 and is perfectly functional. The results is not the same as yours (maybe there is an option for a more in depth treatment) but it's surely worth using it. Actually, I am wondering why this tool isn't more well known, as it is also very easy to use. The only problem that I see is that its installation doesn't take into account of eventual multiple Windows profiles, from which, we have to use it with the administrator one. Overall, thanks for having led me to this one !

Now, about the meters, why not ? And you know where to send them...

Last edited by cubic13; 01-06-2018 at 01:23 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #82
hopi

OK... so I just sent the version with blue meters via email...

Let's talk about pngauntlet a litte...

first, YES... it is to me a wonderful tool and it is free and even though there are other png compression tools out there, my testing has shown me that pngauntlet actually not only does the best job but it way easier to use than anything else I've tried.
I don't have the problem you mentioned about administrator rights since I am the only 'user' on my PC and I have full admin rights. I'm on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

OK...that said, here is what I have seen with pngauntlet:

First, how I use it...

I just drag and drop the entire folder of png files onto the blank UI of the program and then hit the Optomise button at the top. I have it set to overwrite the existing files with the new compressed pngs...
In the case of AbbeyRoad, it can take about 3-4 minutes to totally finish..
Seems like there are about 4-5 files that it really slows down for at the end... so you have to watch the file count down at the bottom left... when it shows that it has completed them all you are good to go.

OK... I know you don't use Photoshop, but this should be mentioned as it might affect you in some way. In PS, the color mode is normally RGB color, but PS allows for other color modes, ... after pngauntlet does its work, the png files show up in PS as index color mode... which simply means that if I want to work further on them I have to first just change them back to RGB color mode.... no big deal, just a mouse clk.

So anytime I do more work on them, as a final step, I drag and drop the whole folder onto pngauntlet again.... and this is curious, in that it might get even better compression the second time around... Try it... see what you get.

Anyway, the overall point is that by running all the png's through it, you should get your themes down to a file size that will fit on the stash with room to spare... which in turn means you might have room to add layouts that you otherwise could not. Nice IMHO!

OK I'm going to send you another email with the settings I use for the pngauntlet options..

EDIT: I also just sent another email with an even smaller theme file size... got it down to 1,508 kb
so lots of room for more layouts!

Last edited by hopi; 01-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #83
cubic13

Got your mails, hopi, thanks !

- Seeing your PNGGauntlet settings, I now understand why our results were different : when I made my test, I didn't even bother to look at all this. So, further tests are in my 'to do' list...

- I also tested your blue meters : they fit nicely in CLogic, but I'm less enthusiastic in AbbeyRoad. OTOH, I'll probably have to do something about the meters of the latter, as it is a subject of comments, maybe by reducing the transparency of the meters strips, as a first step...

Thanks again !
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #84
hopi

yeah... I can certainly understand that for Abbey you might want the meters to be more subtle....

hummm here's a 'trick' I sometimes use in PS... take the png
and make another layer for just those strips [the blue] and make that
a white or gradient of light gray to white...
then set that to some degree of transparency so that it cut the color down
this can be done a for a few layers of that white... and may get you to the degree of 'faded' meters you like...

of course there really is nothing wrong with gray meters as they are..
I just like to see the meters in a very pronounced way, but that is just me.

Anyway ...good on pngauntlet settings.... and again, it is really curious that I can just keep running the whole folder a few times until the report at the bottom shows there has been zero amount of compression... then I know it is as small as it can get...
Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #85
krahosk

I now use the grey mod, it's easy on the eyes as Hopi mentions. A really great theme. Again, thank you.

Last edited by krahosk; 01-11-2018 at 02:10 PM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #86
Jimmy James

I accidentally clicked on the older theme the other day. I thought "Oh these meters look good".
But the newest theme looks the best. And I do like the meters. A little color couldn't hurt or a option for the older meters as well.
I still think this is theme of the year!

I hope this spawns tg12345 or more EMI themes. Or I hope it spawn Kramer Konsole (Helios). Or some other COOL vintage layouts.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #87
Jimmy James

I'm starting to get use to using a empty channel as a blank channel. When I am full screen I have gotten spoiled on having a blank channel to break up my mixer.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #88
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I'm starting to get use to using a empty channel as a blank channel. When I am full screen I have gotten spoiled on having a blank channel to break up my mixer.
do you not have a version with separators?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #89
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
do you not have a version with separators?
On dang, I don't. And I just seen his post talking about them on page 2. I must have missed a update.
I am going to record in a few hours. I will have to check for the newest ONE! Excited
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #90
Jimmy James

GARRRR!!!! Where is this dang Menuset folder at? I can't find it at all!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #91
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
GARRRR!!!! Where is this dang Menuset folder at? I can't find it at all!
send me a PM with your email addy..

for that folder, go to the resources folder... or if you have a portable install it will be in there

or maybe you could try to customize any menu... like just a separator and then save it and see where it wants to save it...
Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #92
Jimmy James

Yes, I have a portable install. I will check out resources.

It is so dang nice to have a DIVIDER! Breaking up my mixer looks so smooth now. I like the biggest one of course. And I even put 2 of them side by side on a couple of mixes. Very cool.
I am trying out the new Grey mod I think it's called. It looks good. I am digging it. I will keep that one for a week or two and see how it goes.

Brilliant work.... best theme of 2017
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #93
hopi

JJ you likely know this so you can tell me to just shut up ...

but... load up the separators you want... in both the tcp and mcp

select just that track and save it as a track template...

then you can even make an action to load that with one clk, via the SWS actions.... i.e., in the screensets, layouts window... you put that template into one of the slots... then it will show up in the action list and can added to any context menu and\or toolbar

Of course then you can do the same for other combination of tcp and mcp layouts... as templates, and into other slots

If you need more slots you just edit the line for Max_slot=xx in the Track Templates area of the sws.ini in reaper's resources folder....[just a simple text editor task]
Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #94
cubic13

Thanks JJ... ... and thanks to you, hopi, for the help...
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #95
db9091

I use to think White Tie was the bomb, but I didn't find it as easy to use as simpler ones.

When I found this Abbey Road one, I was blown away at the perfect balance of simple use of features and amazing realism.

Thanks so much for doing this hard work. I'm blown away by this skin and it makes using Reaper as my preferred DAW all the more special!

Last edited by db9091; 03-17-2019 at 06:23 AM.
db9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #96
sightlessness

cubic123 (I know, it's cubic13, but come on, should've been 123, right? RIGHT!? lol), could you make a version with an imperial transport bar please?
This one looks like Mario Paint (part where you can make music) and makes
me feel like I want to kill myself (no kidding). And your theme is gorgeous,
but that transport honest to god is not my cup of tea (I hope I am not
making you feel bad or upsetting you, I really think the MPC and TCP are gorgeous, specially the MPC).

Ok, thanks.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #97
cubic13

@db9091
Thanks for this, with too much delay, I admit, as your post went out of my radar...

@sightlessness
Well... The default transport bar layout is the same as the original RE[a]DD theme and I used what was existing in the initial project, as it was more or less following what was on the Studer J37 tape machine in these days, even if it is far from perfect. So, I pushed the thing a little further, adding a Studer J37 layout for the transport bar : did you test this one and, if so, what about it ?

So yes, I could make a more or less Imperial looking like transport bar but, IMO, there are already enough of 'Imperial' clones in the stash and I'm not sure that it would nicely fit in a theme that has been designed to reproduce this (very) old REDD/Studer working frame. Will see what I can do about this, though...

Last edited by cubic13; 03-26-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #98
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post

@sightlessness
Well... The default transport bar layout is the same as the original RE[a]DD theme and I used what was existing in the initial project, as it was more or less following what was on the Studer J37 ...
Just you gracing me with your consideration is great enough I googled Studer j37... ewwwww... lol. You know I am very sincere and straight forward. I suggested the Imperial tranport but it could be a Pro Tools one (the Pro
Tools theme -not the albertxxx one- is very good). Hell, I think I will even take a Cubase tranport, but not the current one (the Studer one).

I know perfectly you don't work for me, but if you could make a version with a different transport, it'd be so neat because the MPC is one of the best (to my eyes and perception).

Ok ok, thanks for your attention.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #99
sightlessness

Ok, I've found some "defects": Gray volume lights (meters), not useful at all. On regular MPC tracks, if a track goes above 0, it goes red, but doesn't display how above it went. Instrument (midi) track like ezdrummer sent to several tracks (multi track) displays a horizontal hard to see volume display too (volume meters, this time thank god not gray), very hard to see, not useful. MPC is just amazing look wise, really makes Reaper not feel like a toy.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #100
cubic13

Hi again, sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Gray volume lights (meters), not useful at all.
I really like these, but it seems that I'm the only one, considering previous posts. So yes, I'll try to find something more consensual for them.

Quote:
On regular MPC tracks, if a track goes above 0, it goes red, but doesn't display how above it went.
Is this really necessary, as I allowed the display of the 'peak' values on all MCP and TCP layouts ?

Quote:
Instrument (midi) track like ezdrummer sent to several tracks (multi track) displays a horizontal hard to see volume display too (volume meters, this time thank god not gray), very hard to see, not useful.
Well, it is horizontal if you choose the 'Horizontal meters' layout for TCP. Otherwise, they all appear as vertical, here, and all the meters in the theme have exactly the same colors : grey for playback, drak red for record armed tracks. There is an issue, though : when using a multichannel VSTi (4 meter bars or more) the highest and lowest bar appear a little truncated vertically, using this layout. So, I'll try to fix this also...

Beside this, I made few visual mockups with different other transport bars and none of them suits fine with the theme and it's normal : again, this one has been designed to reproduce a specific working frame. So, I will not change it or, at least, not in the theme available in the stash. If I have the time, I could eventually make a 'private' version with another transport bar but it will take some time, as the transport bar management that I put in this theme is rather complicated. The other problem is : which one ?

Overall, all eventual changes will have to wait a little, as I'm preparing an update for my Nitrogen pack and this one has the priority...
Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #101
wehpet

Quote:
I really like these, but it seems that I'm the only one, considering previous posts.
Hi cubic13, you're not alone. I really like the grey meters and the transport of a C/J37.
Finally a skin which is not dark and has tiny fonts. This one has personality and is easy to navigate. Very good!

Peter
wehpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #102
cubic13

Thanks for chiming in, Peter...

So, I'm sitting on a fence, here. Grey or not ? As I'm writing this, I feel like keeping the meters as grey but with less transparency, this, to make them more easily readable. Decisions, decisions...

Another thing : I also tempted to get rid of the Reaper v4.x tinting scheme, as using this theme with the Tint track panel backgrounds option activated is simply horrible, in my view. I would like to change this, using the Reaper v5.x tinting scheme while allowing a coloring of the mcp/tcp.labels controls backgrounds, this, with added layouts which would keep their present tinting.

So, users of this theme, don't hesitate to express what you think about these two...
Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #103
sightlessness

cubic123, honest to god I don't want to make you work "extra time". I really don't get why the meters are grey. I open a big project, hit play, and I don't know what track is playing what because I don't see "sht" moving (meters), I have to squint worse than the whole BONES team to notice a track is active, lol.

Speaking of tiny fonts, I am not that fond of the MPC track name font size. But
I don't want to bother you about that because I guess I can customize that myself easily.

I wish Reaper was skinnable as easy as Winamp, lol. You had defined unmovable
areas for different things and you just had to worry about your buttons be on the
right place in your design, then it was just a matter of "replacing" the images
and voilá, you had a new theme (ofc later on very complex stuff was introduced/used but needed extra stuff not just the main program/app).
Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #104
cubic13

Quote:
... I really don't get why the meters are grey.
Speaking of tiny fonts, I am not that fond of the MPC track name font size.
I did them that way because I thought that this kept a neutral look at the mixer, as the original model. I really wouldn't like something too much colored for the meters.

But, as I'm not stubborn I made some tests and changed few things for their display that I could put in the next update : I kept the grey tone but added a slight blueish tint as well as increasing the opacity of all the strips. While I was at it, I also increased the size of the mcp.label font (not the master.mcp.label one to allow the comparison). The result is below :

Let me know what you think about these...

EDIT : found something better, I think, with all strips in red if there is a clipping. So, I just updated the screenshot...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-04-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 AM   #105
ivansc

Well I like it....
Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #106
sightlessness

I wanna! (read with a sexy voice) :P
Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #107
ReaperMadness

Quote:
I wanna! (read with a sexy voice) :P
Metoometoometoo

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #108
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Metoometoometoo
I hope this reply implies I wasn't alone in some of my concerns about this theme,
mainly because this theme is a gem (that I would hope a significant number of people use).

Cheeeers.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #109
sostenuto

Quote:
mcp.label[/I] one to allow the comparison). The result is below :

Let me know what you think about these...

EDIT : found something better, I think, with all strips in red if there is a clipping. So, I just updated the screenshot...
Oh YEAH !!! To Stash soon PLZ !
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #110
peter5992

Beautiful theme, fantastic!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #111
cubic13

Noted !

I'll put these in the next update, then... Thanks for the reactions !
Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #112
SwampDonkey

Best theme bar none. Can you email me the menuset etc? theoctavist@gmail.com
SwampDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #113
cubic13

Default v 1.50 is in the stash...

A new update, with several changes. Both AbbeyRoad and AbbeyRoad_Grey themes are concerned. So, in this one, I...

1) Changed the coloring rules for the Reaper 5 standard : for this, layouts have been added to allow the tint of the track labels in the mixer and a narrow vertical strip on the right of the tcp panels.
2) Changed all the buttons appearance, reducing their width.
3) Optimized tcp panels behavior accordingly, including the master track.
4) Redimensioned (a little...) the mixer panels, hoping that it will more or less fit with a 1080 vertical resolution monitor.
5) Added 'bus' layouts without any controls related to recording.
6) Made a graphical distinction between 'Dual' and 'Stereo' pan modes.
7) Changed a little the meters colors for (I hope...) a more readable view of them.
8) Added a bright border for selected items.
9) Fixed an issue concerning the Record button in the transport bar which solves the incorrect display of its options texts for the Studer J37 layout.
10) Fixed an issue related to the meters : now, all the strips should fully appear with the same width, especially for the horizontal meters layouts.
11) Made few other adjustments : mcp and tcp monitor buttons, folder buttons in the mixer...

@users of previous versions : only the .ReaperThemeZip file needs an update.

Hope this one will be useful for some...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-17-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #114
D Rocks

Nice job done man. Are you also the one who made a replica of Cubase?? I thought that one was also very well done.

Currently im learning how to customize the Session Mixer in default 5.0 and I know how much work it is haha so good job!!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #115
sightlessness

Just passing by to say thank you very much. What else can I say? Hugs?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #116
cubic13

Thanks to you both !

@D Rocks
If you are talking about the CubicPack themes, yes, it's me...

@sightlessness
No hugs needed, actually. Just let me know what could still be misbehaving.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #117
Jimmy James

DOPE! I will download this soon and check it out. I think you won 2017! Nice to see you are still working on man I g this as nice as possible.
You take criticisms and feedback well. You work very hard on details. You have done a fantastic job.
Great work. Your hard work shines in this. I can smell the vintage oozing out of my monitor
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #118
ReaperMadness

This is beautiful, of course. But, the older versions took color changes and these do not?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #119
cubic13

@Jimmy James

Thanks again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
This is beautiful, of course. But, the older versions took color changes and these do not?
Yes, they do, but in the Reaper 5 way, which means that only parts of the panels are colored, not the whole of them.

In this update, I allowed the coloring of the track labels in the MCP panels and a narrow strip on the right of the TCP ones.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 AM   #120
ReaperMadness

"In the Reaper 5 way???

Hmmm... in the last version I had, the entire thing takes color. I wish the new one did, but that's your creative decision, or maybe the general consensus here. Either way, it's still an amazing piece of work and I thank you for your hard work and for sharing this with all of us. A most excellent job.