Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Resonant Serpent
Human being with feelings

Default Are we ever going to get a real plug-in management system?

Besides some form of dedicated articulation system, this is my #1 request. I'm aware of everything I can do with folders when it comes to plug-ins, but it's a huge pain and incredibly clunky. I'd pay for the program again just to have a decent system in place.
"A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far darkness of night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world." - Aldo Leopold
Resonant Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
ivansc

What do you consider a "decent system"?

I have experience with several & find Reapers no better and no worse than any of the others.

Studio One`s and Sonar`s I find particularly irritating though.

EDIT: Remember when you posted this?

Justin, and the users of Reaper, I would like for you to accept my apology for anything I said in the past. It was uncalled for, and you guys were right. The program works like a charm, and if something doesn't work correctly, I have no doubt that it would be fixed in a timely manner. Reaper may not have every function of other programs -yet- but I can do what I need to utilizing programs such as Melodyne, and the stability is more important than any feature.

My next purchase is a commercial license.

Thanks for listening,

Resonant Serpent"

But seriously, I for one would like to hear your suggestions as to what constitutes a good plugin workflow.
I am another Sonar refugee from version 8.5.2 or 3, by the way.

Last edited by ivansc; 06-18-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Been a bit nosey....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Reason

I search, I add, I save as FX chain. This works for me.

You are not me, of course. What doesn't work, specifically, for you? What would work for you?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
fetidus

If you have some specific ideas, then create a feature request thread in the FR forum, and let us know. I'm always a fan of workflow improvements, so just describe your ideas. Who knows, the devs might go for it sooner rather than later? But just saying "are we ever going to get a real plugin management system?" is just very vague and unlikely to get any momentum going.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
joelsampson

I LOVE the way plugins work in REAPER. Folders make it very easy to organize. I put symbols in front to sort and make it easier yet, i.e. + or - or =. With a little thought it's easy to customize it to you.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent View Post
Besides some form of dedicated articulation system, this is my #1 request. I'm aware of everything I can do with folders when it comes to plug-ins, but it's a huge pain and incredibly clunky. I'd pay for the program again just to have a decent system in place.

What kind of system do you have in mind? I personally appreciate how 'manual' Reaper is in this (and many other) regard(s). I don't like it when a DAW starts categorising things the way someone else has decided for me.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
Sibben

The plugin system in REAPER is much better than anything else I've ever used. It's crude but very powerful. What do you need it to do?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
ivansc

Seems like either he went on vacation or was just venting a little frustration. We shall see....
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #9
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
.....I don't like it when a DAW starts categorising things the way someone else has decided for me.

Seconded. I just make my own folders. Couldn't be easier!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
squibs

Drag and drop to organise folders would be nice.
squibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
melillo

I find the actual system ok, but I admit that it would be usefull to be able to create subfolders (folders within folders) for fx (not just fx chains).

Marc
melillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
crootnik

I like the plugin placement in Reaper, but continue to have issues with Waves.. Love their plug-ins and sale pricing and they have great support for us now. At least one of their guys can get it going for me.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Doc Brown

The logical way Reaper works and the usual intuitive method for me on most things is counterintuitive in this regard. I was messing around in the browser picking a reverb for a track and I checked the Reaper built reverb folder and it wasn't in there. I figured I could just right click (Valhalla shimmer) and it would give me the option to add it to the reverb folder, nope can't do it. In my mind I should be able to right click any plugin in the browser and add it to whatever folder I want but that's not the case which makes no sense especially considering the folders I want to put them into were not my own custom folders but Reaper's effects folder. No?

**I should clarify I wasn't trying to use the cockos dev folder but the reverb created folder in the FX browser.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
mccrabney

folders are great and everything -- i even started organizing my fx into them -- but ultimately i always just use the search filter. keyboard focus even goes there by default. i don't know what more i could want.

for something even faster, make a custom keyboard action to add your favorite fx to selected track or item. your muscle memory will do it before your mind is even aware that it fired off the request.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
keyboard focus even goes there by default. i don't know what more i could want.
^THIS - Without sounding too much like a grouchy old fart, browsing folders or other structures in general is severely outdated. The best thing is to create a few categorized go to folders for stuff one constantly uses then use the search filter for the rest.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
jonboper

If you have a thousand plugins, though, a search bar isn't helpful unless you already hold the list in your mind to search from. This isn't the case any more (because of the impractical aspect of reinstalling all of those with fresh machines over the years), but I used to be a kvr freebie junkie, and would have so many plugins to scroll through that it was impossible to find that one thing that I downloaded that one time without good structuring to help.

That's just devil's advocacy though, I don't carry that many plugins anymore and don't have a problem with Reaper's system, although I think it does favor searching through by manufacturer, which might not get you the most creative results if you keep filling your bucket from, say, the FabFilter well...fwiw.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
If you have a thousand plugins, though, a search bar isn't helpful unless you already hold the list in your mind to search from.
Having that many and no idea what the one you want is named isn't really a management system problem, it wouldn't matter how they are laid out, the person would still be swimming in plugins they don't need and can't find. I have VSTs with that many presets and no matter how they are managed, too many is just too many.

Quote:
That's just devil's advocacy though
Agreed.