Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
soundchaser59
Human being with feelings

Default Friends In The Sky!

NOTE:
Quote:
Check out the new mix and thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....nds+in+the+sky

This is just a fun little jam that turned into a 1-4-5 bluesy thing with an overhyped chorus progression. I had originally intended to create lyrics for this but nothing inspired me, so it is instrumental for now.

A couple of experimental instruments in the flute and harmonica. This uses the new Mustang "PJ" short scale bass and the Ibanez semi-hollow guitar. Keys are from Sampletank and Pianoteq. Superior Drummer II. All done in Reaper.

I played the bass and the guitar solo using a rubber pick, gives a very smooth attack on the strings. Didn't know about rubber picks until I started lurking around at the Talkbass forum.

UPDATED LINK WORKS
http://www.soundchasermusic.com/sc/a...HESKY_m320.mp3

Open to mixing suggestions, something too loud, something not loud enough, etc....I can make a few tweaks before I commit this one to Soundcloud.

Last edited by soundchaser59; 06-23-2018 at 06:32 AM.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
camerondye

I like the groove...it's really catchy. I hope you keep on with this and don't abandon it in it's current form. The keyboard part's tone is a little hokey and I'm sure I can help you get a better tone on that as long as you have the midi track if you want...PM me if you want some help on that. Your guitar tone is good and what you're playing is good. The harmonica is weird when you first start playing in the low register it but once you start playing it's good but is a bit spiky but compression and EQ could fix that. The flute is good, didn't think it would work but it sounded good. I could also help you with SD3 drum sounds because they really upgraded them nicely and they sound a lot more realistic than SD2 IMO.

My main beef with this is the bass tone, it's such an important part of this tune and it gives it a plastic sound to it. Your part is good though, the tone makes it sound like it's a VSTI though which you don't want. I'm a bass player mainly I wasn't going to offer help but I listened and the song kept playing in my head so I figured I should get on and comment and offer some help.

Nice job, the toughest part is writing a catchy song and you got that done but I think I could help get it sounding better with very little effort.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I like the groove...it's really catchy. I hope you keep on with this and don't abandon it in it's current form. The keyboard part's tone is a little hokey and I'm sure I can help you get a better tone on that as long as you have the midi track if you want...PM me if you want some help on that. Your guitar tone is good and what you're playing is good. The harmonica is weird when you first start playing in the low register it but once you start playing it's good but is a bit spiky but compression and EQ could fix that. The flute is good, didn't think it would work but it sounded good. I could also help you with SD3 drum sounds because they really upgraded them nicely and they sound a lot more realistic than SD2 IMO.

My main beef with this is the bass tone, it's such an important part of this tune and it gives it a plastic sound to it. Your part is good though, the tone makes it sound like it's a VSTI though which you don't want. I'm a bass player mainly I wasn't going to offer help but I listened and the song kept playing in my head so I figured I should get on and comment and offer some help.

Nice job, the toughest part is writing a catchy song and you got that done but I think I could help get it sounding better with very little effort.
I'd be interested in hearing what kind of bass tone you can come up with. I could send you the mix with the bass left out....?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
barrymk

Hi Gary
Once again you manage to pack a lot of sound into a tune but keep great separation between the instruments. On the distaff side I'm not sold on the bass tone either, it sounds rather synthy and mechanical to my ears - almost too tight to the beat and unusually for me as a bassist I think it's a tad too loud in the mix too. (Never thought I'd ever say that!). Clever stuff as always. Cheers BK
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Hi Gary
Once again you manage to pack a lot of sound into a tune but keep great separation between the instruments. On the distaff side I'm not sold on the bass tone either, it sounds rather synthy and mechanical to my ears - almost too tight to the beat and unusually for me as a bassist I think it's a tad too loud in the mix too. (Never thought I'd ever say that!). Clever stuff as always. Cheers BK
Thanks. I have a tendency to undersell the bass, so I tried to keep it louder in this mix. This bass track was done with the new Mustang bass "as is" out of the box, before I had any setup done, etc. I can hear the out of tune intonation on the high notes, and the round wound strings are always too bright sounding for me. Plus using a pick makes the notes jump more I think.

On listening again I can understand where that "synthy" comment comes from. It almost sounds like that bass on the tv show Seinfeld. But I'm surprised that it sounds so tight timing wise, I didn't think I was playing it all that well. I guess that's what I get for playing along with drum loops. My timing has improved a lot over the years.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
camerondye

I'm up for giving it a go, just PM me a link to a mix without bass and I will work on it.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
soundchaser59

Quote:
I'm up for giving it a go, just PM me a link to a mix without bass and I will work on it.
I will get you a clip. I am moving my web site so I don't have any place to upload a file right now. But I can get you something either by email or pm or a soundcloud track, etc....

I may have the new web site up and running in a few days.

I really like the bass sound you have in "Let Me Down." That's a great tune.

Last edited by soundchaser59; 04-26-2018 at 11:09 PM.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:26 AM   #8
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
This bass track was done with the new Mustang bass "as is" out of the box, before I had any setup done, etc. I can hear the out of tune intonation on the high notes, and the round wound strings are always too bright sounding for me. Plus using a pick makes the notes jump more I think.
Personally I would never ever use flatwounds, dead, dull and literally flat to my mind but there you go. Re intonation I take it the Mustang is still shortscale so it will never be in tune up the neck whatever you do with it. I once gave away a Gibson EB2 for that reason and never regretted it.
Cheers
Old 04-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #9
camerondye

Thanks for the compliment, I think I did that with my 20th Anniv. Musicman Stingray which is my desert island bass. I also have a an awesome Darryl Jones Lakland Jazz which I use a lot in the studio through an A-Designs Reddi and mix with a fliptop amp. My favorite bass tone I got was in "The Game", you can hear it best at 3:29 during the bridge when it's solo'd essentially.

Flatwounds are great if you are going for a throwback sound, P-Bass with flatwounds is the sound of the 60's and some 70's which is kind of the tone that I would think would work on your tune but I will see once I get the track. I'm currently half looking for a Lakland "Duck Dunn" P-Bass that I will put flatwounds on. I have 2 fretless basses and 1 of them has flatwounds on it also. I think it may help the Mustang get rid of some of the clankyness honestly, just remember it will be a little harder to play because of the flatwounds because you can't bend them as easily.

You can email me the song BTW, I will PM you my email address. BTW, I just listened to the rest of your stuff and I love it all, if you ever want to collab on something I would totally be down.

Last edited by camerondye; 04-27-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Personally I would never ever use flatwounds, dead, dull and literally flat to my mind but there you go. Re intonation I take it the Mustang is still shortscale so it will never be in tune up the neck whatever you do with it.
Yes it's a shortscale. My luthier is pretty good, she'll get it to where I don't notice the imperfection. It's much lighter weight and a far better fit for my tiny fingers than the full scale 62 Jazz was.......compromises we make for the sake of the finished product.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
soundchaser59

Quote:
My favorite bass tone I got was in "The Game", you can hear it best at 3:29 during the bridge when it's solo'd essentially.

Flatwounds are great if you are going for a throwback sound, P-Bass with flatwounds is the sound of the 60's and some 70's which is kind of the tone that I would think would work on your tune......
I really like that bass sound, just enough presence and clarity to be articulate, but not so bright that it sounds like the Seinfeld Synth bass tone that I achieved. The bass tone in that passage reminds me somewhat of Chris Squire. Very nice.

I guess I am a "throwback." I grew up on that sound, so maybe that's why I unwittingly gravitate toward that tone. I suppose if I could only sound like one bass player I would choose to sound like Pete Cetera meets Chris Squire.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
camerondye

Both great pick bass players, very interesting. I would pick James Jamerson to Bootsy (James Brown Bootsy) for your stuff but I also like Peter Cetera and Chris Squire but I tend to gravitate more towards the finger style counterparts of Rocco Prestia and Geddy Lee but all great.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:27 AM   #13
soundchaser59

bump for an updated link that works.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
g4greg

that's a fun song

I really like the harmonica towards the end, it really sounds awesome!

maybe put the snare a touch more forward?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #15
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
that's a fun song

I really like the harmonica towards the end, it really sounds awesome!

maybe put the snare a touch more forward?
And Cameron is helping out with the bass track. Which has inspired me to improve a couple other tracks in this thing.......stay tuned....
Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
camerondye

Check out the new mix and thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....nds+in+the+sky