Old 09-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
splant
Human being with feelings

Default Freezing After an Hour

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why reaper keeps freezing when I'm trying to record bands live. At first I thought it was a Windows 10 issue, because it started after I switched to Windows 10, but I really don't know any more and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before I start buying new hardware.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and I've had the same problem with multiple Windows computers, in many different rooms. Reaper will freeze, momentarily and sometimes permanently, when rendering.

I've run it with nothing but Reaper and task manager going - no Windows Defender, nothing else. No plugins. Same result.

My latest theory was that bass frequencies were causing a problem in my interface, so i put it on a bunch of sweaters, because why the hell not.

I rendered 8 tracks of audio for half an hour from a synth, then half an hour of a live band. It finally started freezing and skipping again after about an hour. It was a particularly bass heavy song that did it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If that's the case, I'll buy a new interface. Hopefully I'm doing something stupid and obvious that I shouldn't be that this forum can help me with. thanks a bunch
splant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
ivansc

Completely out of left field, but you DID check that Windows isnt starting up one of their annoying background tasks because it thinks you arent actually doing anything? (e.g. no keyboard input for 30 mins)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
splant

last night it started freezing about 1:30 after pressing ctrl+r, after recording fine for a long time.

I disabled windows defender, which scans files as they're being created/rendered. but there may still be be something in windows 10 i haven't discovered yet. i ran reaper alongside task manager, making sure they were they only things running, about a week ago when the same problem was happening. have not updated since then. CPU use was not notable enough for me to remember.
splant is offline   Reply With Quote