Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #41
GermanFafian
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybolic View Post
Great! I'm glad to hear this is working for someone!............
All in all Reaper feels very much like a proper Linux program now
Working quite well so far. I will try to record my guitar tonight after setting up all my Jack stuff.
One question though. Is there a specific place where I should locate all my VST?
I have them in my home folder and they seem to work fine but in Linux standarization should start to take place
Thanks again for this!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #42
Cybolic

GermanFafian, I'm glad it's working for you so far And you're right a standard location for VSTs on Linux should be agreed on. Right now it seems /usr/lib/vst is most widely used, so I'll make sure that the next update configure Reaper to check that dir, and probably $HOME/.vst as well.
This probably won't work unless you remove the old installation, but you can always just add the paths in reaper yourself
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #43
GermanFafian

Quote:
GermanFafian, I'm glad it's working for you so far And you're right a standard location for VSTs on Linux should be agreed on. Right now it seems /usr/lib/vst is most widely used, so I'll make sure that the next update configure Reaper to check that dir, and probably $HOME/.vst as well.
This probably won't work unless you remove the old installation, but you can always just add the paths in reaper yourself
Thanks for the reply.
/usr/lib/vst sounds good and will apply it this afternoon and add the path in Reaper as it will probably be the only audio program I will install as I only use that and FL but FL8 does not work well in Wine yet.
I use Linux for almost everything else even at work and I'm getting tired of windows getting messed up every 6 months or so and the registry going nuts on me :lol:
If I get any issues i'll comment them here.I guess
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #44
Cybolic

Okay, last version had a really stupid bug in it preventing it from even starting, I'm sorry.

Changes:
  • Reaper automatically has /usr/lib/vst and $HOME/.vst in its configuration when you install it (updated installations will remain the same so as to not mess with previous settings).
  • My Documents now points to the user's home instead of Reaper's install path (yes, this works for all users)

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/244834/LinReaper0.62.run

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #45
GermanFafian

Damm!
Somehow I messed up my install
I decided to try and install Ubuntu Studio Desktop thinking that it would run smoother than with a regular Ubuntu and now I can't get Reaper to use the vst (not even the those that come with Reaper) and the real time Kernel refuses to start.
Oh well. Re-install time as I try to remove all changes made and it just does nothing. This has become a sort of personal challenge
Does anybody know of any issues between rt kernel and AMD64 chips?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #46
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanFafian View Post
Damm!
Somehow I messed up my install
I decided to try and install Ubuntu Studio Desktop thinking that it would run smoother than with a regular Ubuntu and now I can't get Reaper to use the vst (not even the those that come with Reaper) and the real time Kernel refuses to start.
Oh well. Re-install time as I try to remove all changes made and it just does nothing. This has become a sort of personal challenge
Does anybody know of any issues between rt kernel and AMD64 chips?
No issue with amd here GF, i'm using a dual core amd 5600+ X2, and linux/reaper/wine/jack/etc.. all work well.

If you've decided to reinstall, then it may be worth starting from scratch, and using ubuntustudio as your main os. You can always add any admin or non audio related apps from synaptic afterwards.

Alex.

Just a quick note here.

The UbuntuStudio RT kernel is not the same as a more generic OM patched RT kernel for other distros. The UB team specifically build an Ubuntu RT kernel, taking into account the 'Ubuntu paradigm' and any specific requirements for Ubuntu compatability. (Which is no bad thing, imho.) Currently, and because of the significant changes that have taken place in the vanilla linux kernel, there are some challenges to build the next Ubuntu RT kernel (version .26 is the sticky one i think), and it's possible that the next release of UbuntuStudio will either be delayed by 6 months, or will be released without the RT kernel, which will be added later. I understand from the UBStudio team that a lot more work needs to be done this time round to get that "RT thang" we so enjoy using.

If you're on UbuntuStudio Hardy 8.0.4, then it may well be worth biding your time, and waiting for a bit.
I'll try and keep everyone up to date as information becomes available.
It's not as if we can't work with the current version.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 10-02-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:37 AM   #47
GermanFafian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
No issue with amd here GF, i'm using a dual core amd 5600+ X2, and linux/reaper/wine/jack/etc.. all work well.

If you've decided to reinstall, then it may be worth starting from scratch, and using ubuntustudio as your main os. You can always add any admin or non audio related apps from synaptic afterwards.
Thanks a lot for the help.
I will try the live version of 64studio tonight when I get home from work, but will do a fresh install of either 64 or UbuntuStudio (not sure which one just yet)as I really want this to work out. Specially since the big flunk that EXT2 was.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #48
fladd

Well,

now I do not get this error again, however, it stucks when creating the wine setup, or whatever, and then I see this all the time in the terminal window:

igene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/fladd/Eigene Dateien/.wine/dosdevices/z:/usr/share/app-install/desktop/gxine.desktop' contains invalid MIME type 'x-content/video-vcdx-content/video-vcd' that has more than one slash

This gets updated from time to time, but nothing happens for over 10 min.
Something is strange there. It also messed up a Reaper install that was already there.

fladd
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #49
Cybolic

fladd, I'm very sorry to hear that it messed up your original install, it seems all the trouble stems from LinReaper expecting an English setup while yours is... German?

I'll see what I can find out about making Wine run in English so LinReaper can figure out the paths.

Thank you for helping me test it.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #50
GermanFafian

Default RT kernel and Nvidia-AMD mess

Update on my mess up!
I found out that there is an issue with the RT kernel in machines which use both Nvidia propietary drivers AND an AMD 64 chip.
Having either one of them will not cause any harm but having both along with a RT kernel will wreak havoc in your system. It is being looked upon by the Ubuntu studio folks.
One more issue I had this weekend is that I added another 500G disk and my motherboard freaked out on me and it won't recognize one of the installs. It either boots Wins or linux, but won't find Ubuntu's link to Win's boot sector. Weird and has kept me from recording this weekend.
Anyway. I recovered the Wins install and will try a new Linux install later on this week as I have just received the Reamix book and have a couple projects to get started.
I won't give up on having a Linux-only music production machine with Reaper and all my plugs. It will happen if "we all pull together as a team"
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #51
Cybolic

GermanFafian, you can work around the problem with Nvidia drivers and an RT kernel. Take a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=57
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #52
GermanFafian

Quote:
GermanFafian, you can work around the problem with Nvidia drivers and an RT kernel. Take a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=57
Thanks for that
I'll look it up and see if I can get the whole deal sorted out.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #53
Obitheincredible

So I am building a new pc and was looking at Ubuntu or Ubuntu studio. Which should I go with? I have a Vista desktop I was gonna scrap and just have the vista on a separate drive in case I need to go back and forth (like that will ever really need to be done though. My question is, I have reaper running from a usb flash drive. Can I still do this in Ubuntu? Either version? And Should I wait for the 8.10 release at the end of the month? This will be my first Ubuntu build ever and currently have the xandros version that came with my asus and at first hated it but after a few days learned to like it. Now that I can see all of the great benefits I'm all in! Will all my vst's work from Windows also? And how bad is the wine when trying to run all of these other things with it?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #54
Guitar Edman

Funny how we think a like! Been messing around with Puppy Linux and reaper here for a while waiting for the 4.1 version to release before really having a go at it. What I want is a live DVD build that will persist data back to the DVD with reaper installed (eye candy optional) but Compwiz sure is fun! Anyway these packages ( http://www.agitprop666.com/Puppy.html ) were working with the 4.0 Puppy and some early 4.1 betas with reaper (beyond that not sure). These maybe helpful to anyone using puppy or possibly in the great installer you guys are working on here. Please report back any success or suggestions with these. As soon as I find time I definitely plan to create that DVD!

Thanks
Guitar Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #55
Cybolic

Hey Guitar Edman, it's always nice to see someone else helping the Linux community running Reaper

Actually your description on how to install Reaper is exactly what LinReaper does, only LinReaper doesn't put wineasio.dll.so in /usr/lib/wine (that would require root access - which is "bad"), but creates a fake home directory for Wine and a custom library folder where wineasio.dll.so is placed, and the contained Wine uses that file instead of whatever is in /usr/lib/wine.

This way the LinReaper installation of Reaper shouldn't mess with any other Wine programs and installations.

The "problem" with Reaper, and the reason why I didn't just create a deb, rpm or similar package of it, is that its license forbids redistribution in other forms than the exe file.
...hmm, now that I've said that out loud, I guess it would be quite possible to create a package version of LinReaper that simply downloads the latest version of Reaper and installs it in /opt/reaper or /usr/lib/reaper.
How does that sound to the good people of the forum? ...or is LinReaper fine as is?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #56
Guitar Edman

I was under the assumption that it would download the latest and greatest which I would need to replace with my currently installed licensed version. Seems like a good idea to me. But then again how does it currently work? Can't wait to have more time to to try this!

Note: The page linked from my earlier post I can not take credit for. It is just some info I thought might help when looking into this a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Guitar Edman; 10-09-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Note
Guitar Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #57
pantelhs

Default Problem...

Hello everyone,
Does stashbox require login to download the file?
I can only download a .run file which returns with the following error when I run it with sh:
LinReaper0.62.run: line 1: !DOCTYPE: No such file or directory
So is there a .tar package or what I am doing wrong?
pantelhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #58
fladd

Well, switching to English (and also deleting .wine, such that the new structure there is in english, too), I get this:

fladd@fladd-laptop:~$ /tmp/selfgz10016/scripts/run_install.sh
Creating directory mkdir: cannot create directory `': No such file or directory
7zip installed, bypassing installer
Creating Wine directory
Note: wineprefixcreate is deprecated and shouldn't be needed anymore.
WINEPREFIX creation and updates now happen automatically when needed.

Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/home/fladd/.wine' has been updated.
Installing Reaper into it
/tmp/selfgz10016/scripts/run_install.sh: 53: 7z: not found
mv: cannot stat `/home/fladd/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR/*': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/home/fladd/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/fladd/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/*.exe': No such file or directory

And when I check it, then yes, there is no REAPER folder in there.

What to do?

fladd
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #59
eric71

Cybolic,

A quick question regarding upgrade. I've been using an install of 2.51 via your installer. To upgrade to 2.52, should I just download the .exe from Cockos and point it in the right direction, or just run your script again? I'm just afraid that wine and Reaper won't find the .local bottled directory on their own.

Thanks,

Eric
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #60
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Cybolic,

A quick question regarding upgrade. I've been using an install of 2.51 via your installer. To upgrade to 2.52, should I just download the .exe from Cockos and point it in the right direction, or just run your script again? I'm just afraid that wine and Reaper won't find the .local bottled directory on their own.

Thanks,

Eric
You should just run LinReaper again - it checks the webpage for new versions.
It won't find the local bottled directory on it's on, you'll have to point it to it, but it should upgrade like normal Reaper.

pantelhs, it sounds like you've downloaded a webpage of stashbox instead of the actual LinReaper - no, stashbox does not require log in, but you'll need to follow the link, not just downloading it by right clicking.

fladd, I'm sorry LinReaper is giving you such grief. Where are you attempting to install to?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #61
GermanFafian

I'll keep an eye on this and all Linux threads as I am really interested in getting my music job done in linux, but Reaper just gets sooooo slooooow graphically speaking that it becomes almost unusable.

Now. If we could have a miracle and we could run our VSTis in GNU/Linux without wine having to work in the middle. I justhave way too much money invested in Windoze soft to let go of it. Addiction is a bad thing

And to top it all. Now it has finally happened. I was messing with my set up and suddenly all my NTFS files dissapeared and my Windows disk showed up as corrupted. So I have spent a nice looooong weekend of file recovery and have decided to install Wins only as the main use I have for my PC is for music making and I am lagging behind on a project for a friend.

I'm thinking on setting up another pc (when I can afford it) for Linux only and leave this one for Music porduction only.
Oh well. Enough ranting and sobbing for now
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #62
fladd

I am trying to install to .local

fladd
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #63
fladd

Well, on a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid:

fladd@fladd-laptop:~/Desktop$ ./LinReaper0.62.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing LinReaper 0.62 - Reaper Installer for Linux.....................
Downloading Reaper
Running command: /tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/get_reaper.sh
Create Wine setup and run the installer
Running command: /tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/run_install.sh
Install directory already exists.
Creating Wine directory

fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7d1b99f8, overlapped 0x7d1b99dc): stub
fixme:shellllCanUnloadNow stub
wine: configuration in '/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine' has been updated.
/tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/run_install.sh: 53: 7z: not found
mv: cannot stat `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR/*': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/*.exe': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/fladd/.local/share/mime/packages/reaper.xml': No such file or directory
update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on /home/fladd/.local/share/mime.
Try rerunning me as root.

Setup installation
Running command: /tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/setup_config.sh
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/reaper': File exists
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/ColorThemes': File exists
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/Data': File exists
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/Effects': File exists
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/KeyMaps': File exists
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/Plugins': FileAdd options
Running command: /tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/setup_shortcuts.sh
Running command: /tmp/selfgz5839/scripts/setup_wineasio.sh
Successfully registered DLL /home/fladd/.local/reaper/.winelib/wineasio.dll.so
fladd@fladd-laptop:~/Desktop$

So, I guess this script just doesn't work. At least not for me.

fladd
Old 10-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #64
Cybolic

Sorry for the delay, Real Life(tm) got in the way.

fladd, it seems LinReaper wrongly detected that you had 7Zip installed and tried to unpack the installer itself. I've changed the checking routine now to something that should be more fail safe.

Also, are you sure it was a clean install you tried on? LinReaper's output says that .local/reaper already exists? Not that it should make any difference in this case, just so were on the same page.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/276092/LinReaper0.63.run
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #65
fladd

It still assumes that 7zip is installed.

fladd
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #66
fladd

I now installed 7zip and I get:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing LinReaper 0.63 - Reaper Installer for Linux........................................
Downloading Reaper
Running command: /tmp/selfgz29214/scripts/get_reaper.sh
--2008-10-28 17:10:59-- http://reaper.fm/files/2.x/reaper253-install.exe
Resolving reaper.fm... 204.11.104.229
Connecting to reaper.fm|204.11.104.229|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3599129 (3.4M) [application/x-msdownload]
Saving to: `/tmp/reaper253-install.exe'

100%[======================================>] 3,599,129 199K/s in 18s

2008-10-28 17:Create Wine setup and run the installer
Running command: /tmp/selfgz29214/scripts/run_install.sh
Creating directory /home/fladd/.local/reaper.
/tmp/selfgz29214/scripts/run_install.sh: 53: 7za: not found
Creating Wine directory

fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7cf169f8, overlapped 0x7cf169dc): stub
fixme:shellllCanUnloadNow stub
wine: configuration in '/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine' has been updated.
/tmp/selfgz29214/scripts/run_install.sh: 53: 7z: not found
mv: cannot stat `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR/*': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/$SYSDIR': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/fladd/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/*.exe': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/fladd/.local/share/mime/packages/reaper.xml': No such file or directory
update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on /home/fladd/.local/share/mime.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #67
Cybolic

Yeah, I figured out the error. It seems sh and bash don't compare tests the same way, so it would always think that 7zip was installed, sorry.

Actually, just so you know, just the 7zip package isn't sufficient to unpack the installer, the 7zip-full package has to be installed to do that.

Here's a new version that should work with or without 7zip-full or 7zip installed:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/276380/LinReaper0.64.run

Thanks a lot for your patience fladd.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #68
fladd

Well, after installing the full package of 7zip, running the installer as root and choising a global install, I get this:

Everything is Ok

Files: 444
Size: 12270055
Compressed: 3599129
cp: cannot create regular file `/root/.local/share/mime/packages/reaper.xml': No such file or directory
update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on /root/.local/share/mime.

Setup installation
Running command: /tmp/selfgz30664/scripts/setup_config.sh
Add options
Running command: /tmp/selfgz30664/scripts/setup_shortcuts.sh
Running command: /tmp/selfgz30664/scripts/setup_wineasio.sh
Successfully registered DLL /usr/local/reaper/.winelib/wineasio.dll.so
root@fladd-laptop:/home/fladd/Desktop# reaper
-bash: reaper: command not found

However, I can only run it as root by typing /usr/local/reape/reaper.sh.
Is this supposed to be like this? There is no menu entry and just typing reaper is also not possible. Also, I want to run it as a user if possible.

fladd
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #69
fladd

Just tried it again as a local installation and not as root, with the newest version and it worked!

Is there any way now to make the graphics work more accurate? Like it is at the moment it is not really usable. Scrolling results in heavy smearing and is delayed a lot.

But thanks anyway.

Regards,
fladd
Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #70
Cybolic

The "try rerunning me as root" message is not from LinReaper but from update-mime-database, and is poor advice - running as root isn't supported yet by LinReaper.

Glad to hear that it finally worked!

If you haven't already turned off compiz, that should help a lot, also you can try to set Reaper to unbuffered drawing mode, that works better on some systems.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #71
tweed

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #72
fladd

Mmh,
turning off compiz does not help.
Not using a buffer helps a bit.

fladd
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #73
Cybolic

tweed, thank you! You're welcome

fladd, the slow graphics are something the Wine team are working on, but it'll probably take a little time before we can see the results.
More info here.
I get reasonable speeds on my ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 running Linux Mint, but if that's the graphics card or my processor I don't know.
The only glitch I get is that dragging clips don't register mouse movement until after the popup goes away, causing a small delay - but I'm fairly certain this is something that could be fixed on Reaper's side.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #74
vocalfons

Default double click doesnt work

Cybolic...

this might sound pretty stupid....when I double click a downloaded .run file, nothing happens...

I on ubuntu studio 8.04 on my desktop PC and on eeebuntu 8.10 on my acer aspire one laptop.

would love to try your installer though
vocalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #75
Cybolic

vocalfons, you may need to right click on the installer, select "Properties", then select the "Permissions" tab in the window that pops up, and make sure that "Allow executing file as a program" is checked.

Also, if you haven't already I recommend installing p7zip-full, either through Synaptic, or from a terminal by typing "sudo apt-get install p7zip-full" and giving your password when asked.
This doesn't change anything really, other than making installing Reaper faster.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #76
vocalfons

Default done!

Dear Cybolic,

thanks a lot for your installer. Everything went smoothly here, so now reaper is installed on my acer aspire one. I got what I wanted, a micro studio on the road. Still some work to be done though, like looking for a decent linux supported USB audio interface, since my onboard soundchip makes so much noise it wakes up the neighbours.

another thing is, that i am running intrepid, which doesn't have an RT kernel yet. I guess I would have to be patient about that?

I heard the suggestion to make a linux reaper using hybrid programming: running the program itself in a bottle of wine, and doing the interface in linux. Would that be a viable option? This would still make using VST plugins possible, while getting rid of the sluggish window behavior. What do the Reaper guys think of that? And would it be something you could help them with?

Maybe I am just too critical, but after 10 years of cubase I got rid of it in favor of reaper. And right after that, I switched to linux. In my ideal world it's reaper native in linux, or at least the hybrid version.

By the way, if you'd like me to localize your installer to Dutch, I would be more than glad to do so. Just send me the text.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #77
GermanFafian

Well. I am back with a vengeance
Got it installed and runing in my daughter's Ubuntu machine and it recognizes and uses most of my win plug ins
My next step is to try and get it up in speed in my Mepis machine. I just don't accept an error for an answer and cleaned up my pc. re-installed Mepis and now that I have a clean set up again. I'm going for Lin/Reaper with a mind set on success.
Ooops! that sounded like an add :lol:
I'll keep you posted on this new KDE-Mepis adventure.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #78
vocalfons

Default no more acer....: (

Cybolic:

my acer aspire one microstudio is dead and gone...the screen went black and it wasn't bootable anymore. I returned it for a refund. They offered me a new one, but it is my second Acer computer dying on me within one year, so I rather took the money.

What is left is my desktop on Ubuntu 8.04. A warning to everyone: keep track of your harddisk. When it's too full, it screws up your reaper install. I fixed it installing linreaper locally, and first i was very happy with the lower latency. And, no more crackles. But after a few days, these crackles returned.

so what's up with that? When I don't use plugins, it's ok. I have a latency of 6 ms. but with 10 ms it's no better. is my PCi RME hammerfall sharing interrupts, which it shouldn't (and how can I check or change that?) or is my processor not coping (P4 3.2ghz, with hyperthreading)?

Still i use reaper every day doing my job as a vocal trainer. I wouldnt mind investing in it to make it run smoothly. But I would have to know if that would be possible at all.

Thanks for listening,

vocalfons

oh and I almost forgot: where should I install my VST plugins? Right now it's impossible to make them work. Even when I point reaper to the right location, they aren't loaded.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #79
synth

Looks like we finally have a suitable OS for running REAPER:

An experimental build of Puppy Linux with the latest 2.6.27.x kernel and SMP support:

ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/testing/p...410-2.6.27.iso

Note: This is an unofficial,experimental build of Puppy.Use at your own risk!
Instructions: Burn the iso (LiveCD),install the needed packages (Wine,Jack+QJackCtl,Qt4,Reaper,WineASIO) and test

FYI,the latest official version of Puppy is 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16 kernel,no SMP). Puppy 4.1.x is amazing,but still not optimized for audio and multicore CPUs.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 11-15-2008 at 10:08 AM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #80
Cybolic

Vocalfons, first off, Linux generally doesn't respond well to a full filesystem, you might end up with missing or corrupt files if you're not careful.
As to why you suddenly get crackling, my guess is that something on your system has changed, maybe some new hardware or an update to a package, so that's what you should look for.
The LinReaper installer will automatically point Reaper to $HOME/.vst, so the easiest thing would probably be to just create a symlink to that dir:
Code:
ln -s "/path/to/your/vsts" "~/.vst"
Why it doesn't load your plugins, I have no idea, but maybe this'll help.

Synth, great to see progress on this! Just a note, it's not necessary to install WineAsio, as LinReaper will always use it's own included version.