Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-16-2024, 07:34 PM   #361
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default Huge improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Yes, a very nice gui...
Yes, the new version looks pretty awesome. Very modern, well-thought out.
As excited as I was for a SessionView, Playtime 1 didn't become part of my workflow, but I'm really looking forward to a fresh start with v2.

I apologize in advance is some of this has already been discussed/acknowledged/debated/implemented/planned, but I find my first impression with software is when the most thoughts/ideas come.

Random thoughts/impressions:
-The see through option is helpful, though it would be nice to be able to choose the transparency %. I'm sure there's a perfect setting too allow using PT on my second monitor while watching YT/tutorials in the background.

-Always on top pin. I can easily do this with PowerToys (Win+T) so not a big deal.

-Multi-slot selection can add a lot of power. For example picking slots in different rows to audition, then copy/paste as a new row if we like what we hear. And similar to Reaper, adjust common settings.

-Related to above, a one of the best things about session view are the happy accidents. I'd love anything that facilitates that.

One idea could be naming a row "Random" which will auto-populate the row with a with a random item from each row each time play is pressed. When we like something, just rename the row. A "Chaos" row could be similar but mix audio/midi slots between columns so midi goes through different VSTis, and audio through different FX (maybe some slot settings changed too.)

-Drag&Drop from the Media Explorer is nice, but as I often use pitch shifting for MIDI/audio to match my project, supporting transposition to match (ideally inherit) the ME value is crucial. MIDI transpose should be pretty basic, but if audio is more complicated in many cases having it destructively applied would be better than not having it at all. I suppose I can just add it to Reaper first, glue it, then import.

-A setting that copies any imported media to a ReaLearn subfolder in the project dir would make sure nothing ever gets misplaced and easy to import cells from different sessions. A clean ReaLearn dir function could recycle anything copied there that didn't get used.

-When importing a selected item into a slot, the item name isn't inherited.

-Panning/channel mode settings are item settings I often change between sections so having those options in for slots would be nice to have at some point.

-Slot names can get easily cut off. As column resizing applies to all and we don't always want to enlarge them to accommodate a couple long names, a tooltip can make it simple to always see the full name.

-Coloring slots is great, but it has to be one at a time. Color full rows/columns allows faster more flexible categorization.

-IIRC, the previous version used Reaper's timeline (which I saw above may come back at a later date with enough interest). There are advantages to keeping everything in PT, but a downside is having no visual cues for cell contents. Some way to see what they contain is very useful. Maybe a small item type view in the help area would work?

Another possibility is an option to repurpose the Playtime logo area? It looks really slick, but takes up a lot of prime real estate which could be better utilized if the animated logos could be smaller and in the title bar section (tap tempo can be done in the tempo section, or in Reaper). Or maybe Playtime could be
Play
time

to fit nicely in the top left by the performance/theme options?

-I've got a ton of track templates. The FX button just opening Reaper's FX browser certainly works, but being able to create a PlayTime FXChain subfolder and be able to load those from a simple built in menu and some favorite FX could help keep the workflow PT centric.

-I've also got a lot of track templates with instruments. Being able to load a template, select the tracks in Reaper, press a button in Playtime and have them be set as the Playtime tracks could make it fast to get going.(import selected tracks to existing columns/import selected tracks as new columns)

-The plugin is for both PT/RL so if we save a preset in Reaper's menu will it save the state of both? This wouldn't always be desirable, so a second area that allows independent saving/loading for Playtime presets (similar to ReaLearn) allows separate options for both, and the master Reaper preset for just when we want to save a particular PT/RL combination of settings.

-Years ago I fell in love with the Mobius/FCB1010 foot controller combo (poor man's Echoplex). I'll likely dust off the FCB and try getting it working with RL/PT. I really liked having switches for playback direction and half/double speed (which was also +/- octave). Really simple things, but surprisingly effective when the changes are time synchronized to the next cycle. I've yet to try any MIDI mapping, but I'd love to set up PT for things like that.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-16-2024 at 07:47 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:24 AM   #362
helgoboss

Thanks for the feedback!

I will add a feature voting for users soon, where I present features in a list that I would potentially implement. Each user with license has 3 votes.

It would be great if you could pick the 3 top features from your list that are most important to you. If I think they are good candidates, I will put them on the voting list.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #363
hwhalen

Removed

Last edited by hwhalen; 03-23-2024 at 09:25 AM.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:07 PM   #364
helgoboss

@hwhalen Let's not discuss this here, Playtime 2 is still in closed alpha. Drop me an email, please. Thanks!
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:53 PM   #365
PitchSlap

(tip: if using ABP you can right click on the large images above and choose block element to restore the thread width to normal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Thanks for the feedback!
I will add a feature voting for users soon, where I present features in a list that I would potentially implement. Each user with license has 3 votes.

It would be great if you could pick the 3 top features from your list that are most important to you. If I think they are good candidates, I will put them on the voting list.
That sounds like a great idea.

Since I'm already pretty accustomed to loop recording, duplicating regions mixing sections etc. the most important aspects relate to probability and controlled randomness that can facilitate unique arrangements of existing clips/scenes for composition, or using Reaper for live performances with elements of chance and improvisation.

These are my top 3 requests overall which I know won't change (other's are harder to rank):

1) By far the most important thing is Follow actions (link to manual section) for clips (slots), scenes (rows), and tracks (columns). Aside from experimentation/probability they're also widely used for simplifying the number of clips required for a live performance.

For example, the multiplier sets the number of loops before a follow action is triggered. So if set to 4x and next a 4 bar loop would play for 16 bars until moving to the next clip, or you could have a 1 bar loop with 8x to if you want it to work well in a row with 8 bar loops etc.

Track follow actions act as a global override for all clips in a track, but would also be useful as the default for all clips that haven't been changed. That way you could easily change a whole column to play in reverse order (previous clip), but also have a clip with a random follow action which will jump to a different clip in the track and continue playing in reverse order from there etc. All you need to do is change the track follow back to next and normal order is restored. Without track follow actions every clip in a track would need changing manually to try something simple, then change them all back again (potentially dozens of steps vs. 2)

2) Legato mode is pretty critical so you can launch clips at any time and have them inherit the relative playback position from the previous clip which maintains synchronization.

3) Content preview. After using this in Bitwig, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting no visual cue as to what the contents of the session view are, but in typically Reaper fashion it could be optional.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-23-2024 at 04:29 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:47 AM   #366
Vagelis

Agreed and would love to see the above suggestions, especially follow actions.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:58 AM   #367
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
(tip: if using ABP you can right click on the large images above and choose block element to restore the thread width to normal)
THAT !!! is a relief Thanks !
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:57 AM   #368
hwhalen

Default Font sizing

helgoboss

The font sizing issue I spoke of is due to text sizing option of Windows.
Currently using 125% and it doesn't overrun the area. Higher values it does.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote