Human being with feelings

Default v6.44+dev0108 - January 8 2022

v6.44+dev0108 - January 8 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: render internals simplification/cleanup
  • * Includes feature branch: user-defined action overhaul
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer toolbar
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + JSFX/ReaScript: improve gfx_blit() documentation/implementation internals [t=261610]
  • # Actions: fix OSC bindings to 32-bit IDs (scripts)
  • # FX instance oversampling: fix MIDI issues
  • # FX instance oversampling: show in chain CPU status
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
v6.44+dev0108 - January 8 2022
  • + JSFX/ReaScript: improve gfx_blit() documentation/implementation internals [t=261610]
Thnx

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
daniellumertz

idk if this report got lost in the threads but ripple edit affects y position in lanes

And a more messy version
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
[*]# FX instance oversampling: fix MIDI issues
Can confirm this is working now. Thanks!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
PitchSlap

Quote:
[*]# FX instance oversampling: fix MIDI issues[*]# FX instance oversampling: show in chain CPU status
Really appreciate the FX oversampling.

Similar to Parkinson's Law, my projects tend to expand to the available CPU power (even with 16-cores), so it would be really helpful to have a separate option for offline OS to save RT CPU while maximizing the final quality (without manually changing every plugin setting each time).

Lots of developers have this (Voxengo, TBPro Audio, Melda, Cytomic, Xfer etc). Voxengo also has a handy Auto mode which allows setting a default offline OS value.

Just a thought.

Does anyone else regularly use these options?
Old 01-09-2022, 12:34 AM   #6
daniellumertz

Quote:
[*]# Actions: fix OSC bindings to 32-bit IDs (scripts)
Working here, thanks !
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #7
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Really appreciate the FX oversampling.

Similar to Parkinson's Law, my projects tend to expand to the available CPU power (even with 16-cores), so it would be really helpful to have a separate option for offline OS to save RT CPU while maximizing the final quality (without manually changing every plugin setting each time).

Lots of developers have this (Voxengo, TBPro Audio, Melda, Cytomic, Xfer etc). Voxengo also has a handy Auto mode which allows setting a default offline OS value.

Just a thought.

I respect that people like and want this option, but personally, no, never. I can't really fathom it. OS changes the sound. I mix based on what I hear. Offline OS will result in a render that sounds different from what I hear in my DAW. I would never want that. I have no issue with other people wanting that though, so as long as it is an optional feature if it is added, that's cool. As far as I'm concerned though, oversampling plugins at render time is more or less the same thing as throwing in random saturation, unwanted EQ curves or new compressor attack and release settings at render time .
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:12 AM   #8
Phazma

One could audition how an effect sounds through oversampling, then turn it to render-only mode to save cpu.

I agree it definitely should be optional and not default, but it would be an appreciated option.

Especially if we can (de)activate it via mcp fxlist context menu. It would allow us to quickly switch it on/off without opening any GUI to hear just what it does to a particular effect and then keep working without the cpu stutters or glitches.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:36 AM   #9
bFooz

Quote:
[# FX instance oversampling
Wouldn't it be better to place the OS button inside the top strip of plugins? I imagine it can generally become the second or the third most used feature (bypass being the first one).

In here:

And in the process, the strip and menus can be tidied up a bit. E.g.:
How many people do use the UI button often? IMO it could go into the menu.
The delta-solo funcion is hidden. Can get a button.
The tiny checkmark for the bypass as the most used funcion can get e.g. a clickable (+colored?) text "ENABLED" that would enlarge the click area.
The bypass without clicks can be implemented.
The dry/wet knob could get a numerical readout.
The minimum width of the strip could be limiter so the preset dropdown is never too short, even with very narrow plugin UIs.
The "Preset" menu can be shortened by moving import/export preset into a submenu.
The Param button can be physically shortened by using an icon or a shorter text. Or it can be moved into the submenu merging the two dropdown menus into one.
Instead of the plus sign, use ≡ or ☰ as a menu icon.
Or any other thing. Consult your designer.

Last edited by bFooz; 01-09-2022 at 06:31 AM.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:03 AM   #10
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
<...>
Agreed!
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

Just a thought.

This is a little different though because some plugins will react very differently at different sample rates compared to their own, well tested, internal oversampling methods. The DAW doing it simply results in significantly different sounding audio with a lot of plugins in just my very limited testing. It's not just "the same but with less aliasing" as you'd hope; frequently the output is way different sounding or louder or just craps out entirely.

I think because this is so different than plugin managed oversampling, it is best as an 'always on' FX with no "on render" option.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #12
Loulou92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Wouldn't it be better to place the OS button inside the top strip of plugins? I imagine it can generally become the second or the third most used feature (bypass being the first one).

In here:

How many people do use the UI button often? IMO it could go into the menu.
The delta-solo funcion is hidden. Can get a button.
The tiny checkmark for the bypass as the most used funcion can get e.g. a clickable (+colored?) text "ENABLED" that would enlarge the click area.
The bypass without clicks can be implemented.
The dry/wet knob could get a numerical readout.
The minimum width of the strip could be limiter so the preset dropdown is never too short, even with very narrow plugin UIs.
The "Preset" menu can be shortened by moving import/export preset into a submenu.
The Param button can be physically shortened by using an icon or a shorter text. Or it can be moved into the submenu merging the two dropdown menus into one.
Instead of the plus sign, use ≡ or ☰ as a menu icon.
Or any other thing. Consult your designer.
cool ideas
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
One could audition how an effect sounds through oversampling, then turn it to render-only mode to save cpu.
yes.....
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
jrengmusic

I don't get the notion of auditioning oversampling, turning it off, and on for render.

Probably the worst mindset is thinking aliasing is a disease that make your audio sounds bad, and oversampling is the magic cure. You can turn it on for audition and render only, and yet there's still a possibility the rendered result sounds worse than what you hear in real time with oversampling turned off.

Oversampling is just calculation and processing method that could reduce aliasing but it's not always sounds (preferably) better. Meaning it's a commitment to use it or not at all.

Because we always aim for the (subjectively) best sound we like, we should always hear its effect. If your machine could not afford the resources to do oversampling in real time, you can always commit and freeze it otherwise it's not worth the hassle to get that free aliasing accurate digital samples.

Anyhow it's just a tool, a nice feature to have built-in inside REAPER which might open a lot of possibilities in signal processing.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #15
BPBaker

(from 6.44+dev107)
Quote:
Media items: add actions to normalize items to common gain, or separately, using most recent settings
I appreciate the additions for these actions but FYI they don't seem to function at all in +dev108.
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post
(from 6.44+dev107)

I appreciate the additions for these actions but FYI they don't seem to function at all in +dev108.
You are correct, but they do work in +dev0109!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #17
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You are correct, but they do work in +dev0109!
Lol, amazing. I should make sure to refresh the site before posting. ;-) Thanks again!
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #18
kindafishy

In a 48 kHz project, when turning on OS either per fx or full chain, Nebula seems to still think that the sample rate is 48 kHz and this can be seen in the display where it shows 96 -> 48.

If I recall correctly, the problem is probably with Nebula in that it doesn't recognize SR changes after it has been loaded. Justin, Schwa, do you think there could be a solution to this that works both when adding the fx or when reloading a project where the plugin can be maybe re-initialized whenever there is a sample rate change or something - basically somehow 'tricking' the plugin into thinking it is being loaded for the first time and getting it to interpret the higher SR as the project rate?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote