Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default Developers I need your advice

Next year I'm going to graduate with a bachelor degree in computer science. After graduating I would like to get a master degree to possibly work as an audio programmer (or at least as a programmer active in the development of audio softwares).
My university offers a very good master in Software and Data Engineering, which I'm very keen to.
So here's my question to programmers here on the forum that work in the same field I want to work in... should I look for a more targeted study or the master in SDE could be a good choice nonetheless? It wouldn't be like a compromise because I'm really interested in it, but I'm scared of having zero knowledge about audio programming after getting the master degree (I can always learn on my own but I guess it's not the same thing as being taught by professionals).

I'm especially interested in hearing from Justin but please feel free to leave your advices!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
pandabot

Usually companies want to see what you can do, so links to github/bitbucket repos that do interesting things with audio engineering will go a lot further than the MS letters and a list of courses you took.

Structured learning is fun though, you can explore on auto-pilot with tangible progress markers that feel like accomplishment so you might want to do it anyway. But if your goal is a job then your time and money is better spent by creating or contributing to software projects that have real applications.

Maybe you can make a vst using JUCE, that would be cool
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
JamesPeters

You might be surprised to learn that Justin didn't stay in college very long; he was there about a year. He briefly mentions his learning of programming in the podcast/interview linked in the first post of the thread (in the first few minutes of it):

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226733
Old 11-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
mschnell

In fact, most of audio programming is a section of realtime and embedded programming, destinct form Desktop / Web-oriented / Database / ... programming.

As I did realtime / embedded programming for a living since many years, I had not much problems understanding the specifics of audio (DAW) programming that I am doing (mostly as a hobby). Here Reaper is very helpful as with JSFX and (associated) Reaper scripting (in EEL), it's easy and efficient to get started with such projects, providing an instant benefit to musicians and similar software users.
I feel, nowadays - with everybody using the GUI of some complex combination of software products 80 % of the day, not being encouraged to deal with what is going on in the background - the public interest in doing realtime / embedded programming is a lot lower than it was when I started programming. This results as in some ignorance with the students and with the schools not offering realtime / embedded themes for them.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
Usually companies want to see what you can do, so links to github/bitbucket repos that do interesting things with audio engineering will go a lot further than the MS letters and a list of courses you took.

Structured learning is fun though, you can explore on auto-pilot with tangible progress markers that feel like accomplishment so you might want to do it anyway. But if your goal is a job then your time and money is better spent by creating or contributing to software projects that have real applications.
I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
Maybe you can make a vst using JUCE, that would be cool
Yep, that's a work in progress
Old 11-07-2019, 02:54 AM   #6
DarkStar

Why not contact those companies that you might like to work for and ask them about the best way to proceed / relevant courses of study etc? That could give you some useful pointers and also get you on their radar. Some companies may offer internships, too.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:55 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Why not contact those companies that you might like to work for and ask them about the best way to proceed / relevant courses of study etc? That could give you some useful pointers and also get you on their radar. Some companies may offer internships, too.
That's a really good point I hadn't thought about!