Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
arp_analog
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Auto-Save?

Last night I made a chorus to a song which I absolutely loved, it came from nowhere and, to me at least, it was beautiful. Soon after this my computer froze bringing up a 'reaper is not responding' box, and to my horror when I reloaded the project I was taken to a pre-awesome chorus version of my song. I stayed up all night trying to recreate its former glory but I failed.

This has happened to me before and I just wanted to find out if there is any way around it. I know I could save the project every 2-3 minutes or after every new riff I create, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen, and it would be a massive creativity killer.

Is there an auto save option in reaper? If not I'd be tempted to post it as a suggestion, although I'm sure there would be issues with it making the song stutter.

Any personal techniques to not losing work would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
arp_analog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Tod

Yes arp_analog, there is, go to "Option/Preferences/Projects" and you can setup Autosave in a number of ways.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Mr. Data

Yes, you can find these settings at "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project saving". Additionally there are settings in "Options -> Preferences -> General" in the frame "Undo settings". These settings allow you to undo things you did in previous Reaper-sessions.

HTH

Tod, you were faster. What else to expect from an old man like me?

-Data
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
arp_analog

Thanks guys!
arp_analog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Tod, you were faster. What else to expect from an old man like me?

-Data
Heh heh, well I guess that makes us both a couple of old farts.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp_analog View Post
I stayed up all night trying to recreate its former glory but I failed.
I know the feeling, but I've also learned that it's not really true... It's like with women (or relations in general), the only perfect ones are the ones that's lost...
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
sjantonelli

Just what I needed. Thanks Reaper folks...
sjantonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
jakechec

Default does auto save work

I have had this turned on for a while - save each 3 minutes, and a recent crash loaded a file from 45 min ago??!! WTF!!
jakechec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
SynthMusic

Default Coming in late here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakechec View Post
I have had this turned on for a while - save each 3 minutes, and a recent crash loaded a file from 45 min ago??!! WTF!!
Is it possible that every time the program tried to save you were recording or playing your mix? I am just asking to gain some knowledge for myself on how to work with the program to make sure it's autosave is working.
SynthMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakechec View Post
Have you actually checked your save folder for any later bak files?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
pepe44

Hello, reactivating this post!
Reaper 5.62 Here and i need to setup backup files on a dedicated project folder, like:

Project folder structure

Audio Files -> All my audio Files
Backup Files -> All Backups rpp files

Seems easy, cant find in general or project settings that option, only a default folder setup for all projects backups... I would prefer to keep backup files on a dedicated folder for each son not a main backup folder filled with lots of backups from different sessions!

Last edited by pepe44; 12-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
vitalker

@pepe44, go to Preferences->Project and on the bottom you'll see a box where you should type in /undo (or whatever you want).

vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
pepe44

Ok, ill try that, back short with results!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
pepe44

Ok, It worked , Thanks!

My confusion was that if i set a folder there it would be the only folder for all backup files for all my songs! with the "/" it creates it per project, i got it!

Thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
somewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Yes, you can find these settings at "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project saving". Additionally there are settings in "Options -> Preferences -> General" in the frame "Undo settings". These settings allow you to undo things you did in previous Reaper-sessions.
-Data
To test this, I set every 1 minutes when not recording. I added a new track, titled it, and imported media into the track, and just let Reaper sit in the background. I did this 5 minutes ago, and the timestamp on the project file has not changed, nor are there any new backup files. What am I missing?

Edit: It helps to select the action associated with the auto-save lol...eg "Saved to time stamped file in project directory"

That is with Reaper v6.06 on win10 x64...

Last edited by somewan; 03-29-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarifying build and env
somewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #16
dsealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp_analog View Post
Last night I made a chorus to a song which I absolutely loved, it came from nowhere and, to me at least, it was beautiful. Soon after this my computer froze bringing up a 'reaper is not responding' box, and to my horror when I reloaded the project I was taken to a pre-awesome chorus version of my song. I stayed up all night trying to recreate its former glory but I failed.

This has happened to me before and I just wanted to find out if there is any way around it. I know I could save the project every 2-3 minutes or after every new riff I create, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen, and it would be a massive creativity killer.

Is there an auto save option in reaper? If not I'd be tempted to post it as a suggestion, although I'm sure there would be issues with it making the song stutter.

Any personal techniques to not losing work would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
You shouldn't underestimate yourself. You can do it again and possibly better than the first time. I always tell myself if I did it once i can do it again. We have to understand, or at least I must, that I don't operate a top line, professional studio. I don't have engineers and producers to put everything in place and organize things. It's me and me, and sometimes one of us makes a mistake. So we start over.