Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
wolfdogg
Human being with feelings

Default Mix/Master a Piano/Vocal Song?

I'm really enjoying just laying down piano/vox songs but I'm as green as can be to mixing/mastering. I was wondering if someone who is good at this sort of thing would mix/master a song for me and send the Reaper project file so I can learn some things? I'm willing to pay the going rate. Here's my latest effort... and obviously, I have much to learn.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
obviously, I have much to learn.
? Sounds pretty radio friendly to me.Some of the lines sound kind of Billy Joel (well I think I hear that,but I don't scan the airwaves for ballads/singer songwriters)
Really just giving your request a bump (sorry can't help but I am not the guy you need anyway)
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Timothy Lawler

I'm not a mix or mastering engineer but I wanted to say that I liked the performance.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
Gass n Klang

I'm able to do this. You can listen to my last mixing product here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5gSPJY34gttloZq08YnwUN
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
RDBOIS
Banned

Well...

There is no real mixing to be done, as you have done it your self by recording the vocal and piano at the same time.

You also added effects (e.g. reverb) which means they cannot be undone, and therefore we are suck with your decisions.

If you want a "live" song production, then you have it!!! An amateur live song. Nothing wrong with that!

If you want other people to add their skills to your project, and if this is NOT going to be a "live song" dependent on your technology, you will need to consider the following elements:

1) Record the piano DRY on a track
2) Record the vocal DRY on a separate track
3) Maybe record several DRY tracks of the piano and vocals (dub as possible)
4) Are you using a click track? Give us information on the tempo and song arrangement (bars, beats, repetitions, etc).
5) Tell about what you expect; give song examples from artists you like that you think your song should sound like (e.g. Elton John, Billy joel, etc?)

Again, if all you want is to hear yourself sing and play the piano at the same time, in your own home, then you don't need anyone. You need to learn how to use and position the right microphones and record the best tracks. Then you keep everything DRY and ask for help mixing.

If you don't want a live production then record multiple tracks of each (vocal and piano) independently, with a click track, and ask for help (i.e submit the entire project). Heck, if you want, people can even ADD VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS to "enhance" your song, and provide "ear candy".

I think you may need to think a bit more about what you actually want before forking out some cash.

Cheers and have fun
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
cemark

Nice vocals, man!
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Well...

There is no real mixing to be done, as you have done it your self by recording the vocal and piano at the same time.

You also added effects (e.g. reverb) which means they cannot be undone, and therefore we are suck with your decisions.

If you want a "live" song production, then you have it!!! An amateur live song. Nothing wrong with that!

If you want other people to add their skills to your project, and if this is NOT going to be a "live song" dependent on your technology, you will need to consider the following elements:

1) Record the piano DRY on a track
2) Record the vocal DRY on a separate track
3) Maybe record several DRY tracks of the piano and vocals (dub as possible)
4) Are you using a click track? Give us information on the tempo and song arrangement (bars, beats, repetitions, etc).
5) Tell about what you expect; give song examples from artists you like that you think your song should sound like (e.g. Elton John, Billy joel, etc?)

Again, if all you want is to hear yourself sing and play the piano at the same time, in your own home, then you don't need anyone. You need to learn how to use and position the right microphones and record the best tracks. Then you keep everything DRY and ask for help mixing.

If you don't want a live production then record multiple tracks of each (vocal and piano) independently, with a click track, and ask for help (i.e submit the entire project). Heck, if you want, people can even ADD VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS to "enhance" your song, and provide "ear candy".

I think you may need to think a bit more about what you actually want before forking out some cash.

Cheers and have fun
Appreciate the tips. Everything I record is dry and with separate tracks (I thought that might be obvious since I'm using a digital piano). Yes.. it's mixed, with effects, in the video, but the actual Reaper project files are all dry.. which is what I would want mixed. When I listen to really nice piano/vocal recording on youtube, like Marc Martel (and I'm not comparing myself to Marc, but clearly the recording process is well done), I can hear a really professional, polished recording. My goal is just to get better at recording these.. and hearing what someone else with more talent can do, would certainly help me.. if only to use as a reference track. Thanks!

Last edited by wolfdogg; 08-15-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
Nice vocals, man!
Thanks, cemark!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
I'm not a mix or mastering engineer but I wanted to say that I liked the performance.
Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I'm able to do this. You can listen to my last mixing product here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5gSPJY34gttloZq08YnwUN
Sounds great! Definitely along the lines of what I had in mind. Love the style too!
I'll shoot you a pm.