Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Default IK deal time again

Yup, IK (T-Racks, Amplitube, etc.) is doing their group buy X for 1 sale again. It's up to 5 for 1, will almost certainly max out at 7 for 1. So there's that. Get a bunch of stuff for "free"! Or don't! I don't care! I'm just sayin' it's out there!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Nice, thanks! Anyone know if using Jam Points on the initial purchase lowers the "lesser or equal value" amount?

I.e. if I pay less than $99 upfront due to JamPoints can I still get $99 items free? The site says we can use them, but I wonder...
Old 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Greg Savage

Never heard of this... How does it work?

Nm, just found some info.

Last edited by Greg Savage; 08-09-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Not_Here

How and where on IK site is this group buy?
Old 08-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
How and where on IK site is this group buy?
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/pickandmix/

Seems it will easily hit 1000 by end of month, considering it's already doubled since this morning.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Nice, thanks! Anyone know if using Jam Points on the initial purchase lowers the "lesser or equal value" amount?

I.e. if I pay less than $99 upfront due to JamPoints can I still get $99 items free? The site says we can use them, but I wonder...
I intend to use jam points, bonus gear credits, and discounted purchased gear credits lol . Which all will result in me purchasing and registering a qualifying product, which as far as I can tell entitles me to all the "free" stuff. Damn well better. If not I will complain! Bitterly!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
ivansc

IKMM`s policies and support are so crap I have given them all the money they are ever going to get from me.
I occasionally still use a couple of their TRacks plugs, but am gradually weaning myself off everything but Amplitube. And even that I am using less and less.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
IKMM`s policies and support are so crap
How so?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
I intend to use jam points, bonus gear credits, and discounted purchased gear credits lol . Which all will result in me purchasing and registering a qualifying product, which as far as I can tell entitles me to all the "free" stuff. Damn well better. If not I will complain! Bitterly!
OOOooh, apparently I can't use gear credits! Sick burn on me! I hereby complain! Bitterly!
Old 08-10-2019, 02:23 AM   #10
ivansc

Quote:
OOOooh, apparently I can't use gear credits! Sick burn on me! I hereby complain! Bitterly!
Well there`s your first answer.
Second is that despite BUYING their stuff, if you somehow lose your original download and go to re-download a year later they demand payment again
Third is that if you ever have the misfortune to contact their "support", they will spend more time trying to prove that your problem was either caused by your own actions or somethign relating to a third party program, like Reaper to give one example.
Fourth, when you finally manage to convince them that the problem stems from something wrong with their software, they then have a tendency to come up with a fix like "well you have to run our plugin in administrator mode for them to work on YOUR machine with YOUR DAW and YOUR interface."
I waited for them to fix one particular issue for several years before giving up on it. I believe they did finally sort that one out eventually, but that and their habit of letting loose one of their staff members on innumerable forum sites to act as apologists and blame-shifters rather than spending the money on actually fixing their bugs.
Incidentally, Steven Slate is rather like this but far less obnoxious about it..
Old 08-10-2019, 03:31 AM   #11
fred garvin

Quote:
Second is that despite BUYING their stuff, if you somehow lose your original download and go to re-download a year later they demand payment again
Third is that if you ever have the misfortune to contact their "support", they will spend more time trying to prove that your problem was either caused by your own actions or somethign relating to a third party program, like Reaper to give one example.
Fourth, when you finally manage to convince them that the problem stems from something wrong with their software, they then have a tendency to come up with a fix like "well you have to run our plugin in administrator mode for them to work on YOUR machine with YOUR DAW and YOUR interface."
I waited for them to fix one particular issue for several years before giving up on it. I believe they did finally sort that one out eventually, but that and their habit of letting loose one of their staff members on innumerable forum sites to act as apologists and blame-shifters rather than spending the money on actually fixing their bugs.
Incidentally, Steven Slate is rather like this but far less obnoxious about it..
Yah, that does bug me, I thought their credits were like cash. They sell them as if they were. But to be fair, a lot of discount offers don't allow double discounts, and they do allow that with points, but not credits. AFAIK. YMMV. As to the rest, hasn't been my experience as their stuff has at least worked OK for me, but that sucks. Thanks! Caveat emptor!

As for Slate, ugh. I have Slate stuff I never use, I just don't like ilok. Part of why I'm even interested in this is it looks like I can replace the Slate VTMs. What's your take on Slate?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
foxAsteria

The Leslie 122 has become my go-to amp sim, so I'm excited to try out the whole collection.

What are you guys looking to pick up during this promotion? I hear the Stealth Limiter and White 2A are really good as well.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
Not_Here

Quote:
The Leslie 122 has become my go-to amp sim, so I'm excited to try out the whole collection.

What are you guys looking to pick up during this promotion? I hear the Stealth Limiter and White 2A are really good as well.

Hmmmmm. I pretty much have every t-rack plug except the 4 or so tape sims and the metering. my go to is the CHF Dimebag for my current guitar noodling.

I was thinking about the AXE I/O, so I'm taking some time sifting through reviews...
Then on group buy I'd be able to pick up most of the remaining sims..
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
SoulOne82

Quote:
IKMM`s policies and support are so crap I have given them all the money they are ever going to get from me.
Same here.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #15
Greg Savage

Quote:
What were you trying to download?

Haven't had any bad experiences with their support. Waves on the other hand... different story
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
fred garvin

Quote:
Really, wow. Don't have that, what's it like?

Quote:
I like the 2A a lot. Sounds real nice on vocals etc., smooth, AFAIK does just what it's supposed to. Although there are a ton of those out there now, some free, some with "improvements".

My plan is to really max this out. Buy the Lurssen mastering console for ~115 after points, which then puts pretty much everything else on the table, of which I'd be looking at T-racks 5, the tape sims, the saturator, and the Fender 2 and maybe Leslie packages. That's a lotta stuff for around a hundo. Packages are the way to go with IK.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
Just a really nice,warm, clean tone, but it sounds awesome when you overdrive the input as well (bit like a fuzz). It's a tad dark so I have to use some hi boost with it, but that and the 57 Deluxe are my faves. I play kinda experimental rock but I like bluesy tones. I demoed most of the options in the "Clean" section and this was the best one I found.

I use NadIR for running speaker sims, but I hear the Leslie cabs are pretty realistic and I defo like that kind of modulation effect over standard tremelo/vibrato fx. Curious to see how they sound.

I'm gonna get the Fender Collection cause there's some goodies in there I don't have, but I have to say the Fender 2 Collection was pretty disappointing. Not one of those amps has made it into a song since buying it last Black Friday.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-10-2019 at 12:28 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Greg Savage

Quote:

I like the 2A a lot. Sounds real nice on vocals etc., smooth, AFAIK does just what it's supposed to. Although there are a ton of those out there now, some free, some with "improvements".

My plan is to really max this out. Buy the Lurssen mastering console for ~115 after points, which then puts pretty much everything else on the table, of which I'd be looking at T-racks 5, the tape sims, the saturator, and the Fender 2 and maybe Leslie packages. That's a lotta stuff for around a hundo. Packages are the way to go with IK.
I really like their Saturator X. Looking forward to the Tape Emulations
Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #19
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
What were you trying to download?

Haven't had any bad experiences with their support. Waves on the other hand... different story
I bought into one of these buy one get a gazillion free offers some time back. Did it in TRacsk and Amplitube AND Sampletank2.
Had some issues with my computer some time later & when I went to re-download my Sampletank content they said I had to pay a sizable fee to download it again.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as you probably figured. FWIW IKMM support is the ONLY manufacturer whose support was BAD. Slate`s tried their best but just werent up to finding the cause of the problem, even after a teamview session with them in California and me in the UK!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
Greg Savage

Quote:
I bought into one of these buy one get a gazillion free offers some time back. Did it in TRacsk and Amplitube AND Sampletank2.
Had some issues with my computer some time later & when I went to re-download my Sampletank content they said I had to pay a sizable fee to download it again.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as you probably figured. FWIW IKMM support is the ONLY manufacturer whose support was BAD. Slate`s tried their best but just werent up to finding the cause of the problem, even after a teamview session with them in California and me in the UK!

That's crazy, how long ago? I've gone back and downloaded stuff I've purchased nearly 10 years ago. Or did you miss the initial download period for the free product? Either way... that's crazy

Last edited by Greg Savage; 08-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #21
fred garvin

Quote:
I'm gonna get the Fender Collection cause there's some goodies in there I don't have, but I have to say the Fender 2 Collection was pretty disappointing. Not one of those amps has made it into a song since buying it last Black Friday.
Oh reeeally? Good to know. See I kinda felt the opposite, what, I get a Fender collection (#1) and it has 2 tweeds and a Twin Reverb, ok fine, but then several weird items like buzzy transistor stuff and a "metal" amp I never heard of and don't think anyone cares about. Spun through 'em in an afternoon and don't think I ever used em again. Was hoping #2 would be magic or something, but think I'll move that towards the bottom of the list. Funny, when I want a Fender type sound, I tend to go back to the old v2 ones they couldn't even call Fenders, just "American Clean" and whatnot.

Quote:
I really like their Saturator X. Looking forward to the Tape Emulations
Good to know about the X. What do you use it on?

Quote:

Wow. What was the issue?

Yah, they were really working the download thing for a while, I recall quite a bit of pissed-off-ness going around. They did eventually settle down a bit, now you can reactivate all your dls for $10 for 6 months. Which begs the question whether they should charge at all, but jeez, their bandwidth bill must be massive. (@Greg, the restricted downloads are for the really big stuff like sample collections.)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
foxAsteria

Quote:
See I kinda felt the opposite, what, I get a Fender collection (#1)
Ok then maybe I'll skip it, lol. I think the only ones I really need are the Twin and the Super Sonic. I can prolly pick em up with Jam Points later on. I demoed the Slash amp and have to say it's the best Marshall sim I've played. Defo getting that one.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #23
Greg Savage

Quote:
Good to know about the X. What do you use it on?
I use it on pretty much everything

Quote:
Yah, they were really working the download thing for a while, I recall quite a bit of pissed-off-ness going around. They did eventually settle down a bit, now you can reactivate all your dls for $10 for 6 months. Which begs the question whether they should charge at all, but jeez, their bandwidth bill must be massive. (@Greg, the restricted downloads are for the really big stuff like sample collections.)
Ohh I see. That's a bummer.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #24
foxAsteria

Default Tape emulation

Y'all should check out the free ToTape5 from airwindows. Idk how these IK ones sound, because I look no further. I gotta send that guy some money, cos it was a game changing plug for me that's now on every track.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:57 AM   #25
Stella645

Quote:
That's crazy, how long ago? I've gone back and downloaded stuff I've purchased nearly 10 years ago. Or did you miss the initial download period for the free product? Either way... that's crazy
Plugs can be downloaded any time. The big sound libraries need the re-activation payment.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
todd_r

Anyone know if there's any difference between the Amplitude and T-Racks versions of the Leslie Sims?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #27
mixer

Another "does anyone know" question: Is there any overlap of presets between Amplitube 4 and the other amp sim models, i.e., are the presets in Orange, MESA, Slash, etc. totally unique from anything in Amplitube 4?
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #28
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Plugs can be downloaded any time. The big sound libraries need the re-activation payment.
I see. It seems like they give you an option though 'download' or hard drive'
Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #29
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
Another "does anyone know" question: Is there any overlap of presets between Amplitube 4 and the other amp sim models, i.e., are the presets in Orange, MESA, Slash, etc. totally unique from anything in Amplitube 4?
So far as I know all presets are all different across the amp sims. I think they'd have to be, each simulation is AFAIK actually based on the real amp so there's no way to overlay a Mesa preset that uses two separate EQ sections, one of 3 different channel voicings, different "tube" options and settings, etc etc. on an Orange amp that has 4 knobs.

Of course there's going to be similar presets, for instance every sim is going to have clean, rhythm, lead, etc., and similar amps, there's probably 10 different Marshalls, some done more than once. And of course the haters are gonna say they all sound the same.

To me the sims really do have differences and sound reasonably like they're supposed to. For instance they play differently. I love the Soldano sim, but it's kinda a bitch to play, every note I fluff or misfret is fully rendered in hi def, high gain ugliness. Also I love to play it for the sound but have had to swap it out in the mix because it's just too big and won't sit in the mix. But oh my how I love to have that option to reamp from a hundred choices with one click.

What's your concern? Value? Variety? A particular sound?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #30
fred garvin

Quote:
Ok then maybe I'll skip it, lol. I think the only ones I really need are the Twin and the Super Sonic. I can prolly pick em up with Jam Points later on. I demoed the Slash amp and have to say it's the best Marshall sim I've played. Defo getting that one.
Did not love the SS. You've demoed it?

Ooh, I see they upgraded the Slash sim, gonna hafta revisit that one. Love that #34 switch lol. But I thought he did do AFD with #34?

Quote:
ToTape5 from airwindows.
I have trouble getting my head around that guy's stuff, maybe I'll try again. Is that one of the ones that messes up your DC offset?

Last edited by fred garvin; 08-11-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #31
foxAsteria

Quote:
Did not love the SS. You've demoed it?
I think it was actually the Princeton I was thinkin of. I kinda don't want to add a bunch more options if they're not great. Wish someone made a really stellar AC30 plugin...

Quote:
I have trouble getting my head around that guy's stuff, maybe I'll try again. Is that one of the ones that messes up your DC offset?
Yea he marches to a different tune, heheh, but I haven't had any issue with this one. It's just a really good, simple tool for adding vintage tone and beefing up tracks. The snake oil guy on youtube got me to give it a second look.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-11-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #32
fred garvin

Quote:
stellar AC30 plugin...
Dunno if they're stellar, but the old v2 selection has 2 that I both like... picky chimey stuff is reasonably picky and chimey and Daytripper sounds like Daytripper lol... also one cool thing about those v2 models is you can customize them. Marshall pre with Fender EQ and Vox power? Yes please! Also Mesa's Transatlantic is worth a try, it's their take on the AC30, but also with a Fender channel and their usual multitude of options. You can get a reasonable AC (IMO) and many variations.

Quote:
snake oil guy on youtube got me to give it a second look.
Hmm. Is that the one about oversampling? Lol searching "snake oil guy" sure returns a lot of weird stuff.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #33
ivansc

Quote:
Nonetheless, last time I tried to re-download sample sets for Soundtank, that is exactly what happened to me.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #34
foxAsteria

Quote:
Hmm. Is that the one about oversampling? Lol searching "snake oil guy" sure returns a lot of weird stuff.
This guy:

Which amp sounds like Daytripper?

I always associate the Mesa stuff with metal, so I never checked out a lot of it. I do really like the Triple Rectifier for heavy tones, even if Emissary kinda blew it out of the water..

It's annoying that some of the amps are exclusive to the Max Bundle. I really don't wanna overspend and bloat out my collection just for a few goodies like the Jet City amps.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #35
fred garvin

Quote:
This guy:
Thanks!
Quote:
Which amp sounds like Daytripper?
Well that was fun! My 3 fav daytrippers:
AT British Copper 30 - Little finicky, wants to be fed a certain way, but does nicely once dialed in. Huh. This used to be included with AT3, I see it's not any more in AT4. I'd not go out of my way to purchase this over the other options.
Mesa Transatlantic - Just what you'd expect, a modern take on a Vox-ish sound. Sounds great, tons of options, not the most "authentic".
Orange AD30 - Good fun! Kinda in between the other two, more Vox-y than the Mesa, more flexible and easy to use than the AT. Super easy to dial in, real nice 3 band EQ and a little extra gain if you like.
Hard to pick a winner, horses for courses I suppose, the Orange might be hardest to go wrong with.

Quote:
Emissary kinda blew it out of the water..
Heard sooo much about Emissary, couldn't make it sound good. Super buzzy to me. Any tips?
Quote:
It's annoying that some of the amps are exclusive to the Max Bundle. I really don't wanna overspend and bloat out my collection just for a few goodies like the Jet City amps.
Yah, hmm, I respect your opinion and think the exact opposite lol.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #36
foxAsteria

Quote:
Thanks!
Heard sooo much about Emissary, couldn't make it sound good. Super buzzy to me. Any tips?
Did you feed it into a cabinet? It doesn't have one built in. I use it with these and it sounds awesome: http://www.richardcookson.co.uk/Tattva/ I settled on a combo of puppets/sad but true for metal stuff, but they all sound pretty decent, even if you don't like Metallica.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #37
foxAsteria

I do have the British Copper 30 but I don't think it sounds anything like a Vox. There's none of that interaction I expect from the bass and treble knobs. This Transatlantic OTOH is doing a lot of cool stuff I'd expect from a Vox. Nice!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #38
Greg Savage

Quote:
Nonetheless, last time I tried to re-download sample sets for Soundtank, that is exactly what happened to me.
I getcha. I thought maybe they only offered downloads. I think I'd charge people too especially if i offered the boxed version.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #39
fred garvin

Quote:
Did you feed it into a cabinet? It doesn't have one built in. I use it with these and it sounds awesome: http://www.richardcookson.co.uk/Tattva/ I settled on a combo of puppets/sad but true for metal stuff, but they all sound pretty decent, even if you don't like Metallica.
Yah, just whatever comes w Nadir, which still should be OK, right? I'll need to try again harder I guess, I was just so disappointed I didn't bother much.

Glad the Mesa's working for ya, you sound like way more of a Vox expert than me (which is not at all TBH lol). It is a unique kinda sound that's nice to have.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #40
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yah, just whatever comes w Nadir, which still should be OK, right?
Well I hated all amp sims until I found some IR files I liked. Waaaay more crucial to realistic tone IMO. If you have only basic ones, definitely consider this: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/inde...roducts_id=403 Pretty much covers all the bases.

But there's some great free ones out there. Trouble is, it takes a lot of time to find combinations that work really well for your style. But once you do, you can save the presets and I find I only need maybe ten good options for cabinets. A few always sound good with a given amp. Buying a pack will save you some time tho cos there's a vast sea of options out there.

It also gives you a more even comparison of amp sims when you have some go-to speaker sims.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-13-2019 at 05:22 PM.