Old 04-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
pvbrat1
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Input Levels

Hi,

I have searched but am still confused. How do I set my recording levels? I know how to set the levels of my microphone input on my sound card but I don't seem to have any control past that point inside Reaper. Is controlling the recording input level always done at the sound card outside of Reaper for initial recording of just one track before mixing or saving the project?

Thank you,

Pvbrat1
pvbrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvbrat1 View Post
Is controlling the recording input level always done at the sound card outside of Reaper
Yes.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
MikeF

I've realized that setting your input levels from the outside (interface, mixer, etc.) differs from Reaper's track levels once it reaches the program...sometimes I have to adjust the external settings as well as the input levels in Reaper to get a fair balance..then the levels for playback (monitoring) is a different thing altogether...
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvbrat1 View Post
Hi,

I have searched but am still confused. How do I set my recording levels? I know how to set the levels of my microphone input on my sound card but I don't seem to have any control past that point inside Reaper. Is controlling the recording input level always done at the sound card outside of Reaper for initial recording of just one track before mixing or saving the project?

Thank you,

Pvbrat1
By the time Reaper sees it, it's digital. There is no "level" to set. Your input levels are set at your audio interface.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
MikeF

Default Jerome

Hey!! One thing I've always had a hard time figuring out in Reaper is the volume fader when you're recording or playing back what you've recorded. Is that fader exclusively for monitoring purposes?? Seems when I have it up to high where it goes "red," I get distortion...why would that be if it's only for monitoring?? And if I have it up to that high for monitoring, if I leave it that way and render the project, when I import that rendered file back into Reaper to hear it, it has distortion...Don't understand that if the interface/input levels were OK at the start...So does the fader for monitoring affect the rendered recorded project or not??

Mike
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote