Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default Playback/Record Glitch Auto-Markers

I print a lot audio from one track, through analog gear, and capture back on a new track. While I always do critical listening/quality control to the captured audio, it would be nice to have a safety net too for some situations.

Anytime REAPER struggles to play or record audio, like when the transport flashes RED (on Mac anyway), it would be nice to see a setting for REAPER to drop a marker in this location so we can triple check that area any glitches.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
mlprod

There is a script for this now, called Project underrun monitor by cfillion.

/M
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
There is a script for this now, called Project underrun monitor by cfillion.

/M
Thanks, I'll try this out.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
mlprod

Put it as startup action and youre good to go! I also have another way to get even deeper in the life line department with RX.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
MRMJP

Quote:
Put it as startup action and youre good to go! I also have another way to get even deeper in the life line department with RX.
Thanks. I've never done a startup action so I'll have to research it, or maybe you have some advice.

Also, what do you mean by "get even deeper in the life line department with RX"?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
mlprod

Check the SWS extensions menu.

As for RX I have a custom action that searches all analog prints for faults (RX De-click) after they are recorded, just in case I missed something. Thanks to the new ability to asign FX chains to the action list.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
MRMJP

Quote:

As for RX I have a custom action that searches all analog prints for faults (RX De-click) after they are recorded, just in case I missed something.
Ah, brillant. I will search for it.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
MRMJP

Quote:

As for RX I have a custom action that searches all analog prints for faults (RX De-click) after they are recorded, just in case I missed something. Thanks to the new ability to asign FX chains to the action list.
I seem to have the Project underrun monitor set as a global startup action.

Do I have to do anything with the values in this attached screen shot? Do I have to keep this window open or can it be closed/hidden?

How do I find your custom action? A quick search didn't show me anything.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
mlprod

That looks good to me!
As for my custom action, it is very specific for my workflow. But basically its a stop marker after print that also renders an RX FX chain to the reocrded item (output clicks only) so that I can double check if there is anything wied that happened...so far nothing has happened. Do some tests and figure out what settings work best for you and then save it as an FX chain so you can call it up with the action list.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
MRMJP

Quote:
That looks good to me!
As for my custom action, it is very specific for my workflow. But basically its a stop marker after print that also renders an RX FX chain to the reocrded item (output clicks only) so that I can double check if there is anything wied that happened...so far nothing has happened. Do some tests and figure out what settings work best for you and then save it as an FX chain so you can call it up with the action list.
Thanks. I'll see if I can do something like that. I already have a very busy action marker at the end so I may have to do it more manually but I like the idea. I do listen each capture with headphones and clean up any pre-existing clicks and pops with RX as REAPER's external editor (a great feature)/

However, I recently got burned because I didn't listen to the 3 additional versions of a song (TV mix, instrumental, clean) and one of the alternate versions had a dropout, the only one I've ever seen from REAPER in over two years using it for this.

I'm still not clear on the startup action. Can I fully close that window after REAPER starts or does it need to stay open?

With those settings, will REAPER drop a marker during record if there is an issue? I was trying to stress test it and couldn't produce an error
Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Thanks. I'll see if I can do something like that. I already have a very busy action marker at the end so I may have to do it more manually but I like the idea. I do listen each capture with headphones and clean up any pre-existing clicks and pops with RX as REAPER's external editor (a great feature)/

However, I recently got burned because I didn't listen to the 3 additional versions of a song (TV mix, instrumental, clean) and one of the alternate versions had a dropout, the only one I've ever seen from REAPER in over two years using it for this.

I'm still not clear on the startup action. Can I fully close that window after REAPER starts or does it need to stay open?

With those settings, will REAPER drop a marker during record if there is an issue? I was trying to stress test it and couldn't produce an error
Not sure about closing the window still runs the script, I have it open.
And I would probably not rely on the script either, more of a compliment IMHO.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 AM   #12
MRMJP

Quote:
Not sure about closing the window still runs the script, I have it open.
And I would probably not rely on the script either, more of a compliment IMHO.
Thanks. I'll guess I'll try to stress test that underun action with the window closed to see if I can keep it closed.

I agree that your script is just a bonus check. I scan all my prints in real-time using nice headphones to remove all unwanted noises. 99.9999999999999% of the time the noises are already present in the mix and just become more clear after mastering. Things like mouth click, bad edit clicks, and other anomalies can really creep out after mastering raises the average loudness so much.

I guess I get a little obsessive about removing them but nobody has ever asked me to put a noise back in .

With RX set as REAPER's primary external editor it's very fast/easy to send little item copies over to RX standalone, fix the issue, and move on.

I hope my glitch from last week that inspired this post was a random thing. It's the only one in 2 years of using REAPER for play/capture which I suppose is pretty good.