Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
drholz
Human being with feelings

Default Poor man's wah pedal

Hello,
Recorded an audio guitar track with Amplitube 3.
Added a virtual wah pedal after the track was made and worked it with my mouse over the recorded track in playback. Live wah effect and sounds great!
Here's the question, though. Can I record these wah pedal movements with my mouse as some kind of automation after the original audio track has been recorded? I tried several options but can't get those after the fact wah pedal movements recorded. Is this possible, or will I be investing in a wah pedal and using it while I'm recording. (I guess that would be the stealth pedal.)
Thanks
drholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
jmcecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by drholz View Post
Hello,
Recorded an audio guitar track with Amplitube 3.
Added a virtual wah pedal after the track was made and worked it with my mouse over the recorded track in playback. Live wah effect and sounds great!
Here's the question, though. Can I record these wah pedal movements with my mouse as some kind of automation after the original audio track has been recorded? I tried several options but can't get those after the fact wah pedal movements recorded. Is this possible, or will I be investing in a wah pedal and using it while I'm recording. (I guess that would be the stealth pedal.)
Thanks
I'm pretty sure the WAH can be automated. I know it can use MIDI learn and be run by a foot controller.

So, you're saying that if you arm the track for record and arm automation for write it doesn't write the controller out to an automation lane?
jmcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

You need to prepare the wah for automation in Amplitube. Rightclick the pedal and hover along "Assign Automation -> Wah -> and click on one of the 16 parameter slots to assign the pedal to a parameter. It's an amplitube thing, most probably they didn't want to bother you with a giant list of automate-able parameters. Instead they choose to let you do the work .
Now you can switch the track to an automation write mode, start playback and wiggle that thing on Amplitudes gui or you learn that parameter to a foot pedal and control it from there. Don't forget to set the track back to automation trim/read or read mode afterwards.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
drholz

Thanks,
That was the missing link.
Still cutting my teeth on the whole automation concept.
Appreciate the help.
drholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
cricket

Just gotta say to anyone reading, its kind of funny how good the new wahs in Amplitube 3 sound. And yes, youll find yourself using the mouse to rock that wah back n forth to high heaven, it sounds so good.

Best sounding virtual wah Ive heard before.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
kindafishy

Respect for you guys that can rock a wah with your mouse and get it to sound right. I can't get the expressiveness right. I have to do it with my foot using an old fashioned crybaby and live with the take.

I suppose I could look at some sort of midi foot switch thing. Do they have those?

Can the wah fx in amplitube be used on their own either by just loading them, or by bypassing everything else?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
BenK-msx

I use an old expression pedal into either bcf2000 or my homebrew analog to digital USB joystick converter, works a treat.

Also just got ampkit on iPod touch and that has a tilt activated wah based on angle Of the iPod which is cool. Just need to find a way of attaching it to my shoe!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
I use an old expression pedal into either bcf2000 or my homebrew analog to digital USB joystick converter, works a treat.

Also just got ampkit on iPod touch and that has a tilt activated wah based on angle Of the iPod which is cool. Just need to find a way of attaching it to my shoe!
Don't kick the dog...
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
BenK-msx

Walking off with everything still plugged in could Indeed be trip-fall city!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
jmcecil

Hey that reminds me, how do you route MIDI controller input to Amplitude on a Reaper track?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
BenK-msx

prefs > midi devices, set that port etc. to enabled for 'control'

then at top of amplitube fx window, (the reaper stuff) hit 'param' and the learn functions are all in there somewhere.. tweak the wah first and it'll be the 'last touched' param, which is quicker.

then you can arm envelopes and all that jazz (or heavy rock) too.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
jmcecil

Quote:
prefs > midi devices, set that port etc. to enabled for 'control'

then at top of amplitube fx window, (the reaper stuff) hit 'param' and the learn functions are all in there somewhere.. tweak the wah first and it'll be the 'last touched' param, which is quicker.

then you can arm envelopes and all that jazz (or heavy rock) too.
You misunderstand (or I do), I know how to set amp3 for MIDI control automation. But, in Reaper I can either set the input to audio to feed amplitude, or MIDI and control the Wah via external foot controller. I don't see a way to do both at the same time.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
BenK-msx

yeh the track input should def be audio from your guitar.

if the midi is set in prefs to 'control' only, and not 'enabled' for track input, then you go to amp3 fx, tweak the wah gui, then hit the PARAM button > learn and off you go.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
jmcecil

Quote:
yeh the track input should def be audio from your guitar.

if the midi is set in prefs to 'control' only, and not 'enabled' for track input, then you go to amp3 fx, tweak the wah gui, then hit the PARAM button > learn and off you go.
No love. What do you mean by PARAM > learn? There is MIDI learn and assign Automation -> Param 1 -> 16. But no PARAM > LEARN.

MIDI LEARN does not respond. Unless I set the track input to MIDI.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
jmcecil

LOL, found it. Thanks. YOu meant in the FX window, not in amp3
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
You need to prepare the wah for automation in Amplitube. Rightclick the pedal and hover along "Assign Automation -> Wah -> and click on one of the 16 parameter slots to assign the pedal to a parameter. It's an amplitube thing, most probably they didn't want to bother you with a giant list of automate-able parameters. Instead they choose to let you do the work .
Now you can switch the track to an automation write mode, start playback and wiggle that thing on Amplitudes gui or you learn that parameter to a foot pedal and control it from there. Don't forget to set the track back to automation trim/read or read mode afterwards.

BINGO!

I just assigned the wah to a fader thanks to you!

Hope I dont balls up my fader getting freaky with the wah wah.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Can the wah fx in amplitube be used on their own either by just loading them, or by bypassing everything else?
Yes, just disable the other stages (Amp, Cab, Rack should all have bypasses) and you should be able to use just the stomp section IIRC.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
danfuerth

Best thing to do is buy a couple of USB numeric pads ( the ones with the just the numbers for laptops) and go nuts buddy. Now you can have several control pedals, i use one to control the transport part of reaper, another is for effects switching inside reaper . These cost about $4 each and you have many buttons to choose.

Hack a day.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Best thing to do is buy a couple of USB numeric pads ( the ones with the just the numbers for laptops) and go nuts buddy. Now you can have several control pedals, i use one to control the transport part of reaper, another is for effects switching inside reaper . These cost about $4 each and you have many buttons to choose.

Hack a day.
Dan..it must have been you who tipped me off to that..its a great idea..I havent looked back since I set up a second keyboard.

Handy!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
danfuerth

Great idea? Do you know how much they charge for foot switch controllers? LMFAO might as well sell your right leg, it's kind of pathetic.

This is why I am telling everyone "if you put your mind into it, you can accomplish anything, like DOC said"

Yea I have been using those little ones for little controllers,
I also bought some cheap USB full sized keyboards and made a full controller for Amplitube 3.

Works nice, just pulled some keys I did not need and added risers to the keys that are needed.

Thanks.

Hack a day.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
ObiK

Wow thats so cool! I'd love to see pics of that set up!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Bristol Posse

You could also go on eBay and buy an actual Wah pedal for $9 and then record the guitar with wah and run through an amp sim or reamp to a real amp and record

Occam's razor

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 04-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #23
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
You could also go on eBay and buy an actual Wah pedal for $9 and then record the guitar with wah and run through an amp sim or reamp to a real amp and record

Occam's razor
HOLY SHITE!

I never thought of that..and I'm sitting here looking at my wah wah pedal!

Thanks you Bristol Posse!I'm gonna make a Bristol style Junglist tune with wahwah guitar in you honour!

I've almost given up on using my real amps...

Edit..hang about..theres a Bristol in California too?!MENTAL!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #24
Cosmic

Scratchy pot.Balls
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Gaz Le Rock View Post
Edit..hang about..theres a Bristol in California too?!MENTAL!
Nope, at least as far as I know there's no Bristol in California, I moved here from Bristol UK about sixteen years ago
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post

Occam's razor
I agree. I alway track with either my Vox wah or the classic CryBaby. There are some very expensive wah pedals these days, but those 2 are very affordable and easy to find good used ones. There is something so expressive about playing a wah pedal while playing the guitar that is very hard to recreate after the playing is done, even with a foot controlled pedal. I actually put a wah pedal into the chain in a studio while reamping, and while it sounded believable, it just was not the same.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #27
ewenflint1

Default MIDI controllers

Kindafishy asked back in January about controllers. I have a Line 6 Express pedal board that comes with MIDI drivers, and can control just abobut anything. Got it on ebay for £50.
ewenflint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
JHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Just gotta say to anyone reading, its kind of funny how good the new wahs in Amplitube 3 sound. And yes, youll find yourself using the mouse to rock that wah back n forth to high heaven, it sounds so good.

Best sounding virtual wah Ive heard before.
Clips?
JHA is offline   Reply With Quote