Old 05-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
andrew grove
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody got a SB Live!

Hi, just got a Sound Blaster Live! sound card (just the card) and was wondering what piece of software changes the Soundfonts for MIDI? (the whole 256 of them) I used to be able to change the type of instrument sound (base and organs etc.) in Digital Orc. Plus from Tutle Beach and was wondering if the same thing can be done with this card by hardware and Thanks
PS: don't worry I'm not going to ask you for the software, this is just a question. (there's got to be a third party who made one)

Last edited by andrew grove; 05-13-2007 at 11:14 AM.
andrew grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Rann

Andrew,
There is a program called awave studio that did this type of thing but I'm not sure if it will handle the formats you mentioned. I am certain that the 7.3 version and possibly the 8.0 version will handle soundbank conversions though.

If you can't find 7.3 or 8.0 let me know. I still have a copy of the shareware. (I'm a packrat, what can I say)

peace,
rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
teej813

Andrew,
Not sure i get what you're asking. If you're looking for software to replace the stock SF with another, try the KX Project driver set for the Live. Along with the driver (which is smaller and less intrusive than the Creative drivers), it has a SF loader. Works fine for emptying the stock and loading any SF directly into the card's EPROM.

tj
Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
stodge

I thought there was an SF player mentioned on these forums (SFZ?). Or something like that. It works for me so far.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Caithleann

Default kx drivers

Next time please include an URL for those kx drivers.

http://www.kxproject.com

I find the kx driver impossibly hard to understand, especially the DSP using nonsensical names like Prolog and Epilogue for audio blocks. The scheme is hard enough to follow without using such cryptic meaningless words. This program makes Reaktor Kore a breeze in comparison.

Another program that you might consider for your Soundblaster Live! card is called Vienna 2.4. It is a sound editor for soundfonts and it should be available at

Try http://soundblaster.com/soundfont/downloads.asp
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Toni W.

The Problem with the KX-Driver and to use it to have a "Hardware" sampleplayer is that they eats up the transients.

If you use it with a drumkit you will notice that the first samples (the kick of the Base)
are gone.

I have find out, with a short handdrawed spike, that (ca.) the first 177 samples from a wave/sample (44.1Khz) are not played back, and thats bad.
This bug exist in the old and the newest driver i have tested,(it also can have to do with the revision of my card!) so i can stay on with the old 3536 i only use to have an ASIO driver and have some Compressor if i watch a Movie.

For playback some Pad´s that it is not so problematic but for drum samples...

Toni W.

(sorry for my dradfull eng.)

Edit: The KX-Driver are like the EMU-APS driver under Win98 you can mix the Soundfonts with some EQ and Effects, but you have to learn to settup the DSP, but dont think it is hard to understood, thats not, if you have ever work with some "modular" stuff. it is possible to build a "little" DSP-Settup and mix your Soundfonts with only the Card.
But today i think we have the VSTi things and dont need to deal with the limmitations and runout of the DSP-Ram or the numbers of possible DSP Instructions...

But i work on a Editor (NRPN) for "Live" tweaking the parameters of the sounds, you can insert it as a VST Plugin that sends the parameter change to the midi out of the track.

Have some strange problems, hope someday it will work it should and i can released it. (freeware)

The Editor-Plugin should be for Cards that run with the SB-Live, EMU-APS, and KX driver.

--Edited--

Last edited by Toni W.; 06-10-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Toni W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
cerendir

andrew grove: I'm not exactly sure what you're asking either, but I interpret your question as you want to know how to change soundfonts and patches from within REAPER, right? What you need to do, IIRC, is to load the soundfonts you want in the Live!'s synths (A & B) via the driver's control panel applet, and then select the synths as outputs in REAPER. At least that's how I assume it's done, I haven't used the Creative drivers in ages. As for selecting individual patches I have no idea how to do that in REAPER, you might have to do it with good old Program Change messages.

Me, I'm running a Live! Value with the kX drivers and I'm very happy with this setup. kX has native ASIO support and the card works great for both audio recording and softsynths. As for soundfonts, I never use the hardware SF synth because aside from the issues with attack described above, the Live! has a limit of 32MB of sample data. I.e. you can load larger soundfonts, but it can't play back more than 32MB of the loaded sounds at once. Which makes the hardware SF synth pretty much useless in this day and age. Instead I use the excellent sfz player from rgc:audio. If you're going to work with soundfonts in REAPER, I highly recommend it. And don't let its modest interface fool you, it's a really powerful little plugin.

edit:

and if you're going to use your Live! for music making, you should definitely get the kX drivers too. The Creative drivers are worthless. Yes, kX looks kind of complex but you really don't need to mess with the DSP/routing bit to just use the driver. Look into it if/when you feel a need for that stuff, otherwise, just use the ASIO support and mixer like any other soundcard.

Last edited by cerendir; 06-14-2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
Toni W.

Ups..sorry, yes i forgotten the 32Mb limit.

About the SFZ Sample Player:

http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm

I like it for fire up some of my presets,drumkits etc., but you only can tweak the cutoff with a cc but not the resonance and thats bad. And i dont find a way to change the mod-env (for filter,pitch).

But for playback some soundfonts it is really the best i know, and it is free too.

Toni

Last edited by Toni W.; 06-14-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni W. View Post
but you only can tweak the cutoff with a cc but not the resonance and thats bad. And i dont find a way to change the mod-env (for filter,pitch).
Nope, you can't do much of that in sfz AFAIK. That's why they released the commercial version... I've been checking out the sfz+ demo lately and it's kinda cool but I'm very hesitant about actually buing it. It doesn't load szf files (which is totally crazy) and since rgc:audio was aquired by Cakewalk it's been dead silent about sfz+. Which leads me to believe that sfz+ is, or soon will be, a discontinued product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni W. View Post
But for playback some soundfonts it is really the best i know, and it is free too.
Yep, it's really great. It's basically a one-trick pony but considering that there's quite a bit of useable free soundfonts out there, sfz is the most usable one-trick pony you'll ever find. I also load it for drumkits, percussion, basses, one-off samples etc. I couldn't do without it.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
Toni W.

It doesn't load szf, yes thats absolut crazy !! And this is the only "no go" point for me.

There a an editor i have use alot for the SFZ format to make some patches sfZed087, but if i have read all the stuff it is possible but not tweakable my interrest on it are gone. (not forever i hope)

I dont have found some "really" good examples, like a complet rebuild of/like the SF2 architektur, so i have start to make my own templates, but i had have understood to integreat the cc to tweak all the parameter from the outside, mean build something like my VST-SFEditor.

Are there any nifty templates outther ?

Toni

Edit: I like the "draft" mode, its my best friend, he,he..

Last edited by Toni W.; 06-14-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
RokkD

Here's a handy plugin to use with sfz

http://asseca-pt.net/nicfit/sfz_buddy.html

--
Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD View Post
Here's a handy plugin to use with sfz

http://asseca-pt.net/nicfit/sfz_buddy.html

--
Unfortuanetly, sfz Buddy does not give you access to anything you can't do with midi CC#.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
Toni W.

This URL should work...

http://www.asseca.com/nicfit/sfz_buddy.html

Hmm.. in the past, i remind, there where a site that describ the SFZ format with all what is possible.

Will do some search.. be back if i found it.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
Toni W.

found it:

http://www.drealm.org.uk/sfz/plj-sfz.html

So we can talk about what we need (switches,cc). And i will hope that i can build (the second time) some "interface" with Synthedit that we have an Editor for the SFZ.

I will study the document but and i hope we can make a simple thing like this:

Amp ENV
DCF ENV (with -Amount)

cuttoff (is in there)
resonance (tweakable)
switchabel Lfo (to pich ,DCF,AMP)

but i first must find out how i can "link" a cc to the parameters. It would be really nice if someone will help.

Better start another thread for that ?

Last edited by Toni W.; 06-15-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
Toni W.

I know now why i give up with the SFZ format in the past...

It is not possible to asign individual cc to "all" the parameters.
We can only use the one they "give" us the SFZ format thats all.