Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Nos402
Human being with feelings

Default RMS Normalization and Compression

I'm recording my 3rd audiobook project and with each one my workflow and quality gets better and better.

My question is this:

The specifications require (among several other factors) your RMS for all your files be between -18 and -23 dBs.

I had the hardest time getting everything tweaked early on to accomplish this and then someone here turned me on to the SWS add on for reaper which has a "Normalize to a specific RMS level" function so I just normalize everything to -20dBs and that has been great.

So is there really any reason to use a compressor on the audio as many audiobook narrators/engineers do? Isn't this accomplishing the same thing?
Nos402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Normalize just figures out what the overall RMS adds up to and then either adds gain or attenuation to make that whatever the target is. It does nothing at all about the actual dynamic range of the material. That's what compression is for. You might end up at -20 overall, but like half of it is -30 and the other half is -10. I expect most audiobooks want to be more consistent than that. Compression can help get the consistency so that the whole thing is closer to your target.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Nos402

Interesting point! Mine all seem to come out fine and are accepted by the company and upon listening sound pretty even, so I guess maybe my raw recordings and other settings/factors just work well enough without any compressors. Always experimenting and improving!
Nos402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

It really is a matter of style. If you've got talent that's capable of decent performance with decent mic technique...well, you're pretty lucky to begin with, but it also really shouldn't take much to get a nice natural sounding final product. A little volume automation here and there, maybe. If you want "larger than life" or like "hyper natural", that's probably where you'd start reaching for a compressor.

I've not actually done a lot of "naked" spoken word, but I think my first instinct probably would be to hit with my "lookahead leveler" ReaComp preset which is basically long, slow RMS compression.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I've not actually done a lot of "naked" spoken word, but I think my first instinct probably would be to hit with my "lookahead leveler" ReaComp preset which is basically long, slow RMS compression.
OK, not actually seeing this "lookahead leveler" preset?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
OK, not actually seeing this "lookahead leveler" preset?
No, sorry. This is a preset I made myself. Just turn pre-comp all the way up (250ms), and set RMS to 500ms (double the pre-comp), bring the threshold down to about the highest point the meter hits, then set the knee to something between 6 and 12db (or to taste, sometimes much more is better) and then set the ratio based on how much you want to squish it. For more vocals over music I sometimes will end up even as high as 4:1, but for program material it's often just as low as it goes (1.1:1). Auto gain compensation is usually a good thing here, too. If you like it, save it.

Edit - the reply below reminded me that the attack and release for this should both be 0.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos402 View Post
So is there really any reason to use a compressor on the audio as many audiobook narrators/engineers do? Isn't this accomplishing the same thing?
ashcat_lt is exactly right, both that RMS normalization and compression do different things and also that even if other narrators need compression and limiting it doesn't mean that your performance does also. I do a lot of narrative audio, both sending off unmastered files and mastered files, and I would add that if it sounds good and they've been accepting it without any compression that's terrific. But it would be good to experiment with a small amount of it to see if you find it improves it even more, especially since, yeah, there's pretty much always a compressor and limiter in the chain on a narrator : )

Of course it totally depends on the material. Fiction with characters making loud exclamations every once in a while is much different than a non fiction talking about Health Care. The former has a wider dynamic range while the latter, since it's not varying from a narrative tone, has a narrower dynamic range. The this, which is sort of what I usually have in there: have the compressor as suggested by ashcat_lt followed by a limiter, which could even be the same ReaComp set as a limiter, and don't have either set so that either is reducing by much by themselves. Have the first ReaComp with a low ratio (2:1 or 3:1) with a moderate attack and slowish release. Then have the second set at a higher ratio, 10:1 or 20:1, and a faster attack and release. Not super fast but say 20mill attack and 100 release. See if you can set their thresholds so that both are just licking the transients down by, say, 2 db usually, 3 db tops. One fancy pants difference you can add is to have a soft knee on the first and a hard knee on the second, as that's more limiter-like.

The idea is that the first will do it gently and barely, so that transients will get through, and then the second will knock down those transients but won't kick in except for those peaky transients. Then use the RMS Normalizer to put the RMS level exactly where you want it. It works better, or at least more subtly, than having a single dynamics processor take the peaks down 4 db, if that was the goal.

If it's a clean recording and the room ambience is negligible gating is probably not necessary. But bringing the peaks down by 4db has the same noise floor as the noise floor being raised by 4 db, so adding a gate so that it only lowers down 4 db less (never completely to silence,which is what many people think of when they hear the word "gate") and only to drop when you're not speaking at all, is another common narration tool to get the noise floor back where it was before processing. You won't hear at all if it's very subtle. Same as the compressor and limiter. You can make them so you don't know they're in at all. Or maybe you like the sound of one of them hitting a little harder than that. If a narrator has a wide dynamic range and theres a lot of whispering and screaming I'll have both hitting pretty hard at the loudest in order to keep it together (or even add another). If the program does not have that aspect, and it sounds like yours doesn't, you could still use the same chain just have the thresholds set more conservatively.

Reaper is awesome here because the included plugins are truly good enough to use. And with offline rendering you can do a small patch and listen back on another device very quickly and easily.

Have fun!