Old 06-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
spottydog10
Human being with feelings

Default Yep mic test

Looking at the Yep thread, I just tried this:

"Take a favorite CD and play it through your monitoring setup and record it with the most accurate mic you own, placed about where your head would be while mixing. Then take that recording and play it in the car or on the living room system or on headphones or anywhere else that you're familiar with.

Do NOT expect it to sound the same as the original CD-- it's won't. Even with a perfect set of speakers in a perfect room, the very fact of sending the audio out through open air creates new phase relationships, introduces a layer of mechanical resistance that attenuates highs and smooths out dynamics, and all kinds of other stuff. That's normal, and why it's better to mix on speakers than on headphones-- so that you mix based on what the audience is hearing, not based on the signal being sent to the speaker cones."

To that end I recorded direct from the CD of Catfish and the Bottlemen (in mono to match the mic) and then with a Rode Nt1a at the listening position.

I'm being a bit thick here but what do I conclude from this test?
Anybody help me out here?

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/cf-1

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/cfmic
spottydog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Stella645

You should conclude from this test that there is no point running a test you don't understand the point of

Where is this thread?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Where is this thread?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

I think the test is just meant to show you the affects of your listening environment and how the exaggerations you might be used to hearing there will be much more noticeable in another poor listening environment.

I'm not 100% sure though, I didn't check the context and it's been a while since I read that thread.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
spottydog10

Thanks chaps,
I was wondering how to apply the differences in a real world situation
Cheers.
spottydog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
Stella645

Not sure you can really apply anything learnt by this test.

There are various softwares to measure and/or apply "correction" to your monitoring such as Sonarworks which can work pretty well...or people DIY it using REW and an EQ plug. But you should at least use an omni measurement microphone.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
Looking at the Yep thread, I just tried this:

"Take a favorite CD and play it through your monitoring setup and record it with the most accurate mic you own, placed about where your head would be while mixing. Then take that recording and play it in the car or on the living room system or on headphones or anywhere else that you're familiar with.

Do NOT expect it to sound the same as the original CD-- it's won't. Even with a perfect set of speakers in a perfect room, the very fact of sending the audio out through open air creates new phase relationships, introduces a layer of mechanical resistance that attenuates highs and smooths out dynamics, and all kinds of other stuff. That's normal, and why it's better to mix on speakers than on headphones-- so that you mix based on what the audience is hearing, not based on the signal being sent to the speaker cones."

To that end I recorded direct from the CD of Catfish and the Bottlemen (in mono to match the mic) and then with a Rode Nt1a at the listening position.

I'm being a bit thick here but what do I conclude from this test?
Anybody help me out here?

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/cf-1

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/cfmic
I ran a similar test a few weeks ago after putting up my Quad ESL-63's electrostatic loudspeakers as my studio monitors for the first time ever (boy, what an experience that was!!). After listening to my entire music archive for a few days I had the idea of putting a pair of Neumann KM 184's on front of them to find out how close the mic'ed loudspeaker's sound would come to the original media player signal. I was impressed by the small amount of coloration in the recorded sound.

Here's a (fun) video showing the comparison between the original signal and the mic'ed Quads:

Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
cyrano

Thanks for that vid! Makes me regret selling my ESL's years ago even more

I couldn't hear any difference between recorded and direct signals.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Thanks for that vid! Makes me regret selling my ESL's years ago even more

I couldn't hear any difference between recorded and direct signals.
listening on the Quads, I actually do notice slight differences