Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Project Beats & Project Synced...

I'm sorry for putting this in the "Bug" thread, and although it's not a bug per se, by the end of the
day, to me it's a bug.

https://youtu.be/bdakQvOKlaI

If Project Synced did not change the time line and edit cursor location, this post wouldn't be
here.

So there's two way's this can be fixed, either offer Scroll or Not Scoll options for Project Beats, or
simply make it so Project Synced does not change the time line and edit cursor location.

Last edited by Tod; 01-18-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:43 AM   #2
ivansc

Or maybe offer both? I can think of occasions when I would need to use either. Would have to be toggle-able though I suppose.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Or maybe offer both? I can think of occasions when I would need to use either. Would have to be toggle-able though I suppose.
Thanks Ivan, there's something else that I keep running into and as I was working in the Midi Editor yesterday, the idea of being able to lock and unlock the timeline would be a huge advantage.

I decided to put a little video together showing it too.

https://youtu.be/aWLWwj_o9CU

A note to Ollie, if you want to put this post in the FR thread, go ahead, That's kind of what it is right now.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
Allspice

Not to sound contrarian, but I don't know if another toggle setting is the way to solve this issue. I think this touches on a few odd or incongruous design choices in the MIDI editor.

I just did some quick tests on Reaper 5.70 x64 on Windows 10 with the following settings enabled. I wish I could have been a little more thorough, but with my workflow I don't typically have continuous scrolling with playback enabled.

[x] Main window -> Options -> Continuous scrolling
[x] Main window -> Options -> Automatically scroll view during playback
[x] MIDI Editor -> View -> Piano Roll timebase -> Project Beats

Things that I noticed and was/wasn't able to replicate:

1st playback test: The arrange view scrolled smoothly and the MIDI editor scrolled in chunks equal to the current horizontal viewing window of the MIDI Editor.

1st recording test (overdub mode): The arrange view scrolled but the MIDI editor would not (as it was in your video).

2nd recording test (overdub mode): The arrange view scrolled and the MIDI editor scrolled in chunks equal to the current horizontal viewing window of the MIDI Editor. Strangely, I was not able to figure out what changed between the 1st and 2nd test to make this happen.

So essentially, sometimes I could replicate your issue of Project beats timebase not scrolling and sometimes I couldn't. Then I did some quick tests with the following setting changed:

[x] MIDI Editor -> View -> Piano Roll timebase -> Project synced

The issue you brought up about the view jumping around seemed to depend on where in the MIDI Editor the edit cursor was positioned when I pressed record. If it was further left in the window, the view would reposition multiple times as the playback cursor scrolled left to right. If it was further right in the window, this behavior would be smoother and less erratic.

Seems to me like something that could use more testing, if any other users want to help out. Didn't you have a thread before where you had an issue with the MIDI Editor sometimes scrolling and sometimes not scrolling horizontally? After my testing, I wonder if these are somewhat related. I definitely think all these behaviors are odd but I also think they're symptoms of a design issue. I'm not entirely sure adding a checkbox to the already huge list of options will do it this time.

Just for the record, someone sort of brought this up 3 years ago, but I don't think they were super clear with what they were looking for so it didn't really get implemented. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135768
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
G-Sun

Nice video
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Nice video
Thanks G-Sun, I have a hard time with my voice being congested, so I appreciate the kind words.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Tod

Good post Allspice, and thank you for checking this out. I hadn't thought about "overdub mode" making any difference, that's
what I use all the time, although, I'm not sure it matters.

Also I think you're right, there are times it seems to work and times not. Lately though it's been consistent like I show in the video.

You're also right, I complained about this a while back but I don't remember where or when.

Quote:
Just for the record, someone sort of brought this up 3 years ago, but I don't think they were super clear with what they were looking for so it didn't really get implemented. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135768
Yeah and he brings up yet another way. He mentioned having the time line scroll with the play cursor staying in the middle
of the window. There are times that would be a great option too.

I'm really busy at the moment mixing one of my clients songs, but when I get all done with his album, I'm going to take some
dedicated time and put together some ideas that I think makes sense. Then maybe you, I, and others can come up with
something sensible to show the devs.