BUG - notation itself is stretched horizontally and even changes zoom level

EXPECTED - only the window is stretched, revealing/concealing its content

Current Reaper:

Compare it with how e.g. Sonar does this:

More issues described by another user in a further post in this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=11

Related:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....69#post2442869

Last edited by bFooz; 01-26-2023 at 06:23 AM.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
ivansc
Human being with feelings

That is normal behaviour.

Try using the zoom arrows to set how big or small you want the bars displayed, then use the Reaper scroll button in the same way you are trying to use the windows handle.
The problem here is that you are trying to use a windows-specific action to affect a Reaper-specific function.

Think of it as working in exactly the same way that scrolling works in all the other MIDI editors & it will all become clear.

P.S. As far as I am aware, this is exactly how all other DAWs do it. Certainly Cakewalk Sonar, Studio One and Logic do it that way.
So not a Reaper bug as such.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:55 AM   #3
bFooz

I have not used any other DAW for notation, but this looks unintuitive. The MIDI editor in Reaper does not stretch anyhting, it reveals, so I think notation editor should behave the same.

Plus there is this thing with zooming, X and Y zoom axis are not independent: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209877 . Which again I think they should behave like zooming in MIDI editor or arrange.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #4
ivansc

I have used notation editors in other programs since the 1990s.
The only real difference is that under AmigaOS separate windows were instantiated by the program being used & not using the OS windowing as is the case in your example.

You appear to be confusing the two states.

Within Reaper`s actual MIDI editing system, you can achieve the result you expect by using the provided tools, including Reapers own built in controls.
And if you use them, you DO have control over the X& Y axes independently.

Maybe time to check out the User Guide in detail as to how the editor controls work in general, because they are identical for all MIDI editing windows, which of course is what the notation editor is under the surface.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
ivansc

A quick PS: since the majority of things you have queried in your other posts ARE bugs, thanks from the rest of us for your efforts.
Wish I was as good at spotting stuff like the bugs you HAVE found.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 AM   #6
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Certainly Cakewalk Sonar, Studio One and Logic do it that way.
There must be some misunderstanding, because Sonar (Cakewalk by Bandlab) does not stretch, it reveals.

If this Reaper's stretching was useful to you, how then?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
ivansc

Cant see all of the window you are moving but from what I see here it looks like you are moving the actual window position in an dout, not the locastion of the window on the track itself. So fdrustrating when we are not sitting side by side at the same computer!

I will go re-check in Sonar.

O.K. MY cakewalk by Bandlab windows look and act nothing like yours.

It looks like you are instantiating OS windows with the notation editor in them & then moving the whole window left or right.

Headscratch moment here.
MY notation editor is already in a separate Cakewalk window & can indeed be scrolled along by using the gadget at the bottom of the window. Exactly as I can do in Reaper.
I will figure out doing a screen shot if I can.

O.K. I just opened the same project in Cakewalk and Reaper. In Notation view, BOTH programs operate in the same way.

At the bottom of the notation view, there is a scrolling handle that enables you to scroll left or right through the track.
I can`t see the bottom of your notation window in your first screenshot, but if you look, you will see a scroll tool or handle that enables you to grab it and scroll back and forth through the track.
As I said in the beginning, the mistake you are making is trying to use the parent OS window to scroll, not the actual program.
You appear to be doing the same in Cakewalk, FWIW.

Might be worth revisiting some of Kenny Gioia`s free videos to actually watch someone editing notation. Hard to explain in words & like I said I havent ever done a screen shot "movie".

Last edited by ivansc; 09-19-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #8
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Cant see all of the window you are moving but from what I see here it looks like you are moving the actual window position in an dout, not the locastion of the window on the track itself. So fdrustrating when we are not sitting side by side at the same computer!

I will go re-check in Sonar.

O.K. MY cakewalk by Bandlab windows look and act nothing like yours.

It looks like you are instantiating OS windows with the notation editor in them & then moving the whole window left or right.

Headscratch moment here.
MY notation editor is already in a separate Cakewalk window & can indeed be scrolled along by using the gadget at the bottom of the window. Exactly as I can do in Reaper.
I will figure out doing a screen shot if I can.

O.K. I just opened the same project in Cakewalk and Reaper. In Notation view, BOTH programs operate in the same way.

At the bottom of the notation view, there is a scrolling handle that enables you to scroll left or right through the track.
I can`t see the bottom of your notation window in your first screenshot, but if you look, you will see a scroll tool or handle that enables you to grab it and scroll back and forth through the track.
As I said in the beginning, the mistake you are making is trying to use the parent OS window to scroll, not the actual program.
You appear to be doing the same in Cakewalk, FWIW.

Might be worth revisiting some of Kenny Gioia`s free videos to actually watch someone editing notation. Hard to explain in words & like I said I havent ever done a screen shot "movie".

In those gifs of mine, scrolling is not my intention. My intention is to show how the notation is weirdly stretched in Reaper and just normally revealed in Sonar. Scrolling by resizing a window was never the goal of this post, the misunderstanding probably lies there.

Also if you could make some gifs, that would be great. (Here is a tool for that if you happen not to now it https://www.cockos.com/licecap/)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #9
ivansc

Did you actually try doing what I suggested with the scroll handle?
And yes I am beginning to wonder if I am completely mis-interpreting what you want to achieve.
BUT I can do exactly what you are apparently unable to do in Reaper,. just the same way as in Sonar.
Will do a licecap when I have time, which will be a few days as my brother is in the UK visiting from Florida.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #10
ivansc

I don`t know what has happened, but I can no longer see the scroll box and handle at the bottom of the notation view!

My notation view now looks like yours and with no handle at the bottom, you are dead right - no obvious way to scroll through a part using window resize & no obvious other way to do it without some sort of scrolling handles.

This is getting really weird.

Having given it further thought, it looks like there is an issue between the existing behaviour/display in the regular MIDI editors as opposed to the notation editor.
My take on this is that it has something to do with the way the notation is displayed in blocks rather than a single line as with the other MIDI edit windows.

Wondering what I had selected that allowed me to scroll a single midi track in linear mode using handles in a scroll window that won`t show now.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #11
azslow3

There are several issues, I start with "off topic" for this thread
I. with continuous view option off:
I.1 vertical scroll is shown if MIDI item in question does not fit into one visible line and in case only one line can be visible (change zoom level with mouse/keyboard to test)
I.2 horizontal scroll is shown when only one line is visible

II. with continuous view option on (only one line all the time):
II.1 vertical scroll is shown if the line does not fit (vertically)
II.2 horizontal scroll is shown when edited item does not fit

Changing zoom level/window size produce fancy animation with scrolls appear/disappear.

----

I think original question was about different issue: when window width is changes, the score size (measure width) is also changed. The change is not "proportional", is it "slower" then the change of the width.

I will also expect that there is no "fancy zooming" (I have no other words for current behavior) when the window size is changed. When working on one monitor in the score editor in parallel with some other program (PDF score, lyrics, annotations), this side effect of window size changing is quite annoying.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
bFooz

Bump for 6.28.