Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
GuitarKeyes
Human being with feelings

Default Delay using reapitch in realtime

Does anybody have this problem? I want to monitor the effects of reapitch in realtime while im recording so that I can play my guitar as a bass but i am getting an unacceptable latency that makes it hard to play. And its not my soundcard cause I can play other plugs in realtime while im recording and there is not an unacceptable delay. Is this a bug with reapitch?
GuitarKeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Xenakios

Not a bug probably as such, but a limitation. If it can work in really low latency mode or not depends a lot on the underlying code libraries (elastique etc) and their respective limitations.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
GuitarKeyes

Is there a way around this? Or is it not possible to record in realtime with some plugins?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarKeyes View Post
Is there a way around this? Or is it not possible to record in realtime with some plugins?
If the processing in the plugin has inherent delay, there's just no way. Sometimes that inherent delay just has to be there for things to work properly. Maybe it could be possible to make a lower latency mode for ReaPitch which compromises some other aspects of the processing, I don't know, maybe the Cockos guys can chime in on that.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
GuitarKeyes

Is it bad to record with plugins on? Would the pdc still compensate for playing through the plugin in real time. I know that sir2 convulution reverb has zero latency processing which would make it good for recording. how come they can do that and other plugins still have processing latency?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Baer

Any plugin performing pitch recognition in its processing will involve some latency. Determining pitch requires analysis of a small sampling of data, and lower frequencies requires longer samples. For example, a 100hz tone takes 10 msec for just one cycle, and a 10 msec delay is noticable when performing in realtime.

Even in hardware devices specifically designed for the purpose, this delay is noticable. I own a TC Helicon VoiceWorks Plus which is a capable and useful unit, but it exhibits a short delay in its pitch-based processing which limits its usefulness. But you have to expect it, because you can't do instantaneous pitch recognition.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
airon

The fastest pitchers are still dedicated hardware units. Grab an H3000 second hand if you can. Eventide used to have the fastest pitching ten years ago, and probably still does.

Other than that you'd be more flexible with doing it in higher quality later on anyway. The flexibility of picking algorithms per-item is too good to pass up.

You can of course record both an unprocessed and a processed version, but you'll want to make sure the processed version is in sync with the unprocessed one later on.

What do you need it for ?

The only live pitching I could perform with for voice and fx work was the Eventide H3000. The others were just too slow. If that's what you need it for, take a look around for a used unit. The very new H8000 FW is at least $5000 though. The old one may be had for way less than $1000.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
GuitarKeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The fastest pitchers are still dedicated hardware units. Grab an H3000 second hand if you can. Eventide used to have the fastest pitching ten years ago, and probably still does.

Other than that you'd be more flexible with doing it in higher quality later on anyway. The flexibility of picking algorithms per-item is too good to pass up.

You can of course record both an unprocessed and a processed version, but you'll want to make sure the processed version is in sync with the unprocessed one later on.

What do you need it for ?

The only live pitching I could perform with for voice and fx work was the Eventide H3000. The others were just too slow. If that's what you need it for, take a look around for a used unit. The very new H8000 FW is at least $5000 though. The old one may be had for way less than $1000.
Wow that's a lot of money. Way beyond my budget. The reason i need it is because I want to play my guitar like a bass. I thought that maybe I could use a pitch shifter to accomplish this but if there's a delay I don't really see how it's possible while recording. I guess I could just record the guitar dry and add the pitch shifter later but I wanted to monitor the bass sound while recording so that I could react better to the music.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Lokasenna

Funny enough, I just finished recording a fake bass track with my baritone. I find that it works quite well for filling in the low end, though it's best to stay away from anything too fancy in the bass part or it'll start to stick out.

Anyway, for recording you just have to disable the pitch-shifter while you're playing to get rid of any delay, and then turn it back on afterward.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 02-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
GuitarKeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Funny enough, I just finished recording a fake bass track with my baritone. I find that it works quite well for filling in the low end, though it's best to stay away from anything too fancy in the bass part or it'll start to stick out.

Anyway, for recording you just have to disable the pitch-shifter while you're playing to get rid of any delay, and then turn it back on afterward.
Alright, thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
tsever02

This is a dead thread (10 years ago)but it came up first on google when I searched this very topic, so I figured I'd contribute in case anyone came across it. I used Pitchproof by Aegaen Music from VST4Free on reaper, and I'm emulating that bass tone with no latency. Anyway, probably old news but helpful I hope.
tsever02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
JohnnyMusic

Default Similar issue here

This is an odd issue. I had an electric piano vsti on a track in a folder (using a midi keyboard to play it) and routed it to another track outside that folder to use as a reverb bus. On that reverb bus, I placed reapitch as I wanted to detune the reverb a bit: gives a bit of a chorus affect for more depth.
Oddly enough, having reapitch on the aux track introduced latency to the vsti track! Even with the channel fader on the reverb aux all the way down. Muting the aux track eliminated the latency on the vsti track. Odd.
Anyway, I then found the js pitchshifter 2 and that seemed to work without intoducing the latency.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote