Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
tsever02
Human being with feelings

Default New to Busses. Drum Sample Issues

Hi everyone. I've been scouring the forums for an answer to my problem. I wouldn't post this without searching first, and I really couldn't find a solution so I'm making this post. I hardly ever post.

So I've been playing with Reaper for a while now mostly just using it for guitar (playing, practicing, etc... Great sounds with free VSTs > expensive and loud equipment in an apartment for me).

Anyway, I want to get into tracking drums, but I'm trying to do it with just samples. I did some research on sends and busses and everything, but I'm running into a snag.

I have two tracks right now that are being sent to a bus. One with a snare, and one with a kick sample. Just to keep it simple. I can obviously edit each track by itself with a midi item on each individual track, but that would be super time consuming and difficult to get it right. I would like to just edit one track that has all of my samples on the piano roll. Is there a way to do this just using the samplomatic5000 with several tracks sent to a bus? Or a better way to do this? I really just want to be able to apply different effects to the different pieces of my "kit" but edit the whole drumset together on one track. If there's a thread or documentation that explains it, or a great video, that would be awesome. If one of you could explain, that would also be great.

Thanks in advance!
tsever02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
brainwreck

You can set up multiple instances of Reasamplomatic5000 sampler (rs5k) on the same track and send the audio of each one to it's own track channel and out to it's own track. Having multiple instances of rs5k on the same track will allow you to use MIDI on a single track to trigger each rs5k instance using a different MIDI note for each instance.

This may seem complicated and longwinded at first, but once you understand how everything works, it is pretty simple. Here is what we are doing: Setting up a MIDI track with multiple instances of rs5k. Routing each instance within the MIDI track to it's own audio track.

---- Setting up a MIDI track with multiple sampler instances.

Insert a new track and name it 'MIDI'. Set the track input to: MIDI > Virtual MIDI Keyboard > All Channels. Record arm and enable input monitoring on the track.

Add 3 instances of rs5k to this 'MIDI' track.

Right-click each instance and rename it via the menu 'rename' function, or click on an instance and hit F2. Rename them 'Kick', 'Snare', and 'Hihat', in that order.

In the 'Kick' instance, set the 'note start' and 'note end' to C1. In the 'Snare' instance, set the same to D1. In the 'Hihat' instance, set them to F#1.

Click the 'Browse' button in each instance, and load your respective samples.

---- Setup track channels.

Near the top of the fx window there is a button that reads '2 Out'. Click it and you will see a track channel routing matrix. It can be confusing at first, but working with it should clear up any confusion. There is a little '+' button for adding channels. Click it. You now have 4 track channels, and you will be using 3 of them in this example.

For each instance of rs5k, first click it in the fx list to select it. Then click the '2 Out' button, and make it so that only 'VST Out 1' is routed to it's own track channel. So route the 'Kick' instance so that 'VST Out1' goes to '1'. 'Snare' so that 'VST Out 1' goes to '2'. 'Hihat' so that 'VST Out 1' goes to '3'.

---- Send each track channel to a new audio track.

Insert 3 new tracks and name them 'Kick', 'Snare', and 'Hihat'.

In the 'MIDI' track control panel click the 'Route' button, and it will bring up a window. Add 'Sends' to each of the other 3 tracks which you just setup.

For each 'Send' that you added, set each audio output to the respective mono track channel that you setup for the rs5k instances. So then, the 'Kick' send should read: 1 ---> 1/2. Snare should read: 2 ---> 1/2. Hihat should read 3 ---> 1/2.

Also in in the routing window, uncheck 'Master send'.

--- Try it out.

Bring up the Virtual MIDI Keyboard. You can click 'View' in the menu, or press Alt+B. You should hear your samples being triggered at this point. If not, maybe one of us missed something (hopefully not me).

To use the piano roll, click your MIDI track, click 'Insert' in the menu, and add a new MIDI item. Double-click the MIDI item and the piano roll will come up. If you setup everything according to what was layed out here, you should be able to add notes for C1, D1, and F#1 to get some samples triggering.

You can also right-click each key in the piano roll and name it, such as 'Kick', 'Snare', and 'Hihat'.

Last edited by brainwreck; 09-21-2018 at 12:09 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
brainwreck

A couple of edits made above.