Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #41
Coachz
Human being with feelings

No kidding ! They get spun up on the oddest things. Devs, please add this pref.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #42
bitterkitten

It is strange. But if there's not as many hardcore users of Reaper as we think there are, it may be that people don't need it as much as we do. (Or, they're not nearly as paranoid about losing work iterations as we are : ) Still, even if I didn't use Reaper very often, i'm the kind of guy who just likes that kind of tidiness.

And oh yeah. Vote for the FR by clicking on "autosave maximum" link, below in sig, if you haven't already.

Last edited by bitterkitten; 02-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
bitterkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #43
daxliniere

Bumpety-bump
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #44
Coachz

Coachz Repo
Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
ADDIKTION

Default More than a feature

+999999 for this!
I mean, this number is still small compared to the number of KB of useless backup files I deleted today.

I have always been wondering why Reaper had not this, but today I realised that it was taking really a crazy amount of disk space.

The backup feature is powerful, but definitely needs to be limited to be perfect. Maybe an option to send to trash or 'hard delete' the backups could be even more flexible.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #46
nofish

bump !
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #47
Coachz

no chance, we're all spun upon crossfade atm. this is not shiny enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #48
bitterkitten

I was kinda hoping that if I periodically introduced a couple of 'obvious' fr's instead of 'shiny', they'd be, uh... considered more vital? Likewise the metronome improvements fr. : )
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #49
Sound asleep

it has quite a few votes for though. is there a way to see FRs in order of popularity?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #50
Coachz

too logical, i would have though so too but shiny things tend to overwhelm all senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkitten View Post
I was kinda hoping that if I periodically introduced a couple of 'obvious' fr's instead of 'shiny', they'd be, uh... considered more vital? Likewise the metronome improvements fr. : )
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #51
bitterkitten

any word on this peeps? Haven't been around for a while... I don't think I've seen it in my most recent Reap update. : )
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #52
Sound asleep

Quote:
any word on this peeps? Haven't been around for a while... I don't think I've seen it in my most recent Reap update. : )
I don't think they got around to it this time, which i'm not too pissed about, it's been a while since last update, and i think that's because they did so much on midi this time around.

Hopefully, this will get dealt with soon. It seems like a fairly logical sort of thing, maybe they haven't done it yet, because it's more complex of a procedure than it would seem to the layman.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
Coachz

Now would be a great time to give us this very wanted feature please.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #54
chucky5p

+1000 Add this FR..please devs!

FWIW I just cleaned for the xxxxth time my Autosaved backup folder filled with 1k+ files
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #55
ivan.lt

We should also be able to limit the backups not only by the number of files but by the age of the oldest files kept (i.e. within xx days).
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #56
Coachz

makes total sense
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #57
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
We should also be able to limit the backups not only by the number of files but by the age of the oldest files kept (i.e. within xx days).
I'm not sure i'd want that. like, what do you mean? if i don't use a project for a while my backups will disappear?

You don't want your computer doing too much background stuff. If reaper is making a backup, then deleting the oldest file, and writing a new one, if there are already x backups, is not too much extra.

querying on time, would be much more.

I don't find it that much of an advantage too.

Everytime you ask the devs for something you are taking them away from something else.

For me, as long as I only have say, max of 5 backups at any time, then there's not too much clutter, and that's acceptable.

for me, with improvements to reaper, it is most important, what is necessary, and anything that is just cool luxury i can do without.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #58
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
For me, as long as I only have say, max of 5 backups at any time, then there's not too much clutter, and that's acceptable.
Well, press Ctrl-S five times and there goes your backup... Querying and comparing file creation times is such a tiny extra, it's not even worth mentioning as regards performance. I always thought Reaper's idea was maximum customizability so that everyone can have the workflow he/she needs.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #59
Sound asleep

Quote:
Well, press Ctrl-S five times and there goes your backup... Querying and comparing file creation times is such a tiny extra, it's not even worth mentioning as regards performance. I always thought Reaper's idea was maximum customizability so that everyone can have the workflow he/she needs.
Ctrl+S rewrites over existing filename. So, saving it once or 5 times successively makes no difference.

I do frequently make new saves with different names. I number them, and put a little info next to the filename to know what i did at that point.

That way i can scrap stuff, remove clutter in my project, and if i want it again, i can retrieve it.

The point of autobackups, is that i can't trust myself to save all the time.

Sometimes i get caught up in something and don't save for a while, then your computer crashes, or the power goes out, or what have you.

Generally, while i work my mind is on the task at hand. that might sometimes take a while, then when i finish a big step i make a save.

The auto backups, are for when you don't get a chance to save.

Obviously, there is a save button, and a shortcut for it, but auto-saves are very common in all sorts of software, because there are many others like me in this regard.

It is maximum compatibility. But i'm not sure what you described exactly. If it is a purely time thing, then your computer needs to keep checking what time it is, and what age your files are. does it do this only for the project you're in? for all projects?

you were not very specific on that.

To be honest, if reaper kept auto-saving to just one file, i'd be ok with that, I prefer 3, to be super safe, because, why not, but i don't see the advantage of keeping backups for a time period.

to me, 3 backup files is not a big deal, no matter how old they are.

Reaper is for customization, any person can spend however long they want making it as they want it. But there is only one set of developpers, and many users with many workflows. For me, when i hope for changes that i can't make, where i need the devs, I get very frugal with what i want. Use as little of their time as necessary, and prioritize the most important things as much as possible.

I know not everybody is like me, and has the same workflow as me, that's why I would prefer limit what changes i would like to see, as the most necessary, that way, others can do the same, and the most people will be happy, as the devs will have spent the most time doing the most important things for everyone, rather than something that might be a bit cool for a couple people, and completely useless to a bunch of others.

But, if it's something i feel i need, than i'd like to get the attention for the necessities, even if many others won't use that feature, and I would want them to get the same attention for things i would never use, that they feel they really need.

When it becomes just stuff that would be sort of fun to have, that, to me, is when time spent on it, would be wasted.

Obviously, pleasing the most people possible with any given change is a strong factor for making any change also.

It's easy for us to ask for as many features as we can imagine, but programming is long and complicated.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 04-13-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #60
Coachz

If it's an OPTION, you would not have to use it.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #61
ivan.lt

Sound asleep, you may be right. We are only generating ideas here and it's up to the devs to decide which are useful. I wish they hired someone at least for such chores because to be honest Reaper's development is slow.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #62
Coachz

ivan, the development is glacial from where I sit. For me it's tons of tweaks that add zero value. Let Airon run the dev team and you would see Reaper propel ahead of all the rest but he would need 10 devs to keep up.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #63
Sound asleep

Quote:
Sound asleep, you may be right. We are only generating ideas here and it's up to the devs to decide which are useful. I wish they hired someone at least for such chores because to be honest Reaper's development is slow.
Ya, development speed is directly proportionate to how much money is put into it.

But, i think the slowness of late, is because they went crazy with midi improvements.

I have a feeling they had to go in and change something more fundamental, which opened more possibilities to make many midi improvements available, and that's why we went a long time without any updates, and why this update is so huge, and so full of midi.

usually, reaper's updates are quite frequent. through 3.0 they were at least.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #64
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
ivan, the development is glacial from where I sit. For me it's tons of tweaks that add zero value. Let Airon run the dev team and you would see Reaper propel ahead of all the rest but he would need 10 devs to keep up.
Right, it's not just ideas, it's number of developers, and feasibility.

I don't know airon that well, but if i'm not mistaken, he really has no idea how reaper is constructed, and therefore what options are easier than others.

Be sure this is taken into consideration by the developers.

I don't think we can really have an idea about how efficient they are, without having access to details none of us have access to.

It's easy to make a list of hopes and dreams, and prioritize them. what's difficult is getting the most of your budget.

I'm not sure if you meant the backup feature was an option that i wouldn't have to use, or the timeout for backups was, but some options are worth the devs' time, and some i don't think are.

I mean, sure it's an option to us, use it or don't that's fine, from that point of view, and option and who cares whether anyone would use it or not?

But every option takes teh time and effort of developers, so for any option that anyone wouldn't use, it would still influence how their reaper behaves. not that reaper would change in a way that can't be turned off, but that reaper would not be making progress in functionality in a way that they might find useful.

I'm just saying, it's important to be frugal with what you want.

find the key things, the important things, find the easiest ways they can achieve the need you have, and ask for those.

Dreaming up a large number of hopes and dreams i don't find is useful. With reaper, I find you need to have the mentality of getting the most, out of the least effort to the developers.

Start with what you need, and work your way from there.

that's why for me, walter was kind of a disappointment for v4. because i thought it didn't need a graphics overhaul. Granted, i think the default theme did, but i was fine with the theme i was using, functionality was not increased by too much with walter, it was mostly looks.

That's all i'm saying. I mean we ask for things, like it's nothing and whine and complain, but programming things that seem simple are generally much more complicated than they seem.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #65
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Let Airon run the dev team and you would see Reaper propel ahead of all the rest but he would need 10 devs to keep up.
Where do I vote? no offense to Justin I hope, just kidding. Airon's constructive approach certainly deserves praise.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #66
Sound asleep

Quote:
Where do I vote? no offense to Justin I hope, just kidding. Airon's constructive approach certainly deserves praise.
ya, until you see the price tag the software with all those changes costs you.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
Sound asleep

In the project I'm doing now, I have 5.86 Gb of .rpp-bak files saved.

I could really use this.

EDIT: That's 3,035 files for those of you counting.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-01-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #68
Coachz

without a threshold on the number of backups, autosave is a problem for sure
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #69
daxliniere

Quote:
I have 5.86 Gb of .rpp-bak files saved.

I deleted 13.8Gb yesterday.. for one song. :/
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #70
nofish

And I deleted a fantastillion GB just for one bar.

See devs, this feature could be put to good use.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #71
daxliniere

Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #72
nofish

Just in case it came across wrong, I also support this FR.
(Was just a bit in a joking mood yesterday )

Last edited by nofish; 10-02-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #73
EpicSounds

Quote:
In the project I'm doing now, I have 5.86 Gb of .rpp-bak files saved.

I could really use this.

EDIT: That's 3,035 files for those of you counting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post

on my system (osx) I have reaper save peak files and autobackups to a temporary folder on my desktop. I use an Automator script to check my temp folder for files older than 7 days, then moves those to the trash. I used Cronnix app to run the script daily around midnight. You can also use iCal to run the script/app. Totally automatic, it's nice to not have to worry about this stuff.

Surely there is a simple way for PC users also. Please suggest equivalents so I can share with other users.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #74
Sound asleep

Quote:

Ho-ly shit.

At some point I think I'm gonna clean out all my rpp-bak files. I'm wondering now how much of my hard drive is backup files.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #75
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
on my system (osx) I have reaper save peak files and autobackups to a temporary folder on my desktop. I use an Automator script to check my temp folder for files older than 7 days, then moves those to the trash. I used Cronnix app to run the script daily around midnight. You can also use iCal to run the script/app. Totally automatic, it's nice to not have to worry about this stuff.

Surely there is a simple way for PC users also. Please suggest equivalents so I can share with other users.
that's cool, but you shouldn't have to write or setup, 3rd party scripting to clean out the garbage from another one of your programs.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #76
dimbow

Quote:
It is strange. But if there's not as many hardcore users of Reaper as we think there are, it may be that people don't need it as much as we do. (Or, they're not nearly as paranoid about losing work iterations as we are : ) Still, even if I didn't use Reaper very often, i'm the kind of guy who just likes that kind of tidiness.

And oh yeah. Vote for the FR by clicking on "autosave maximum" link, below in sig, if you haven't already.

I personally wouldn't use this feature. I think it's a good example of something that would be appreciated by some but not an essential. I have no problem deleting things in a way I choose and prefer to work that way as there are no unpleasant surprises. Obviously a box in prefs that remained unticked by default would be ok by me though.
I agree with this point about hardcore users though, from a slightly different angle. I feel that there aren't that many "professionals" using it in the same way as logic, pro tools, even cubase. (Cue those that do giving me a round of fucks).
I don't think it's because it isn't good enough to be used by all, clearly it is, but i feel it already has too many (for me) unhelpful default settings for new users who are used to other DAW's or digital mixers.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #77
Coachz

This does not have to be a "default" setting so no skin off your nose.

I eat cubase for breakfast. pffffff toys for kids.... I run Reaper !!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #78
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Just in case it came across wrong, I also support this FR.
(Was just a bit in a joking mood yesterday )
All good!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #79
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimbow View Post
I feel that there aren't that many "professionals" using it in the same way as logic, pro tools, even cubase.
Hey Dimbow,

I'm a producer, mix engineer, Churchill Fellow and I write a column on mixing in-the-box for AudioTechnology Magazine. If you have a moment, please head to my studio website and you can hear some of my work with REAPER.

All the best!
Dax.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #80
dimbow

Quote:
Hey Dimbow,

I'm a producer, mix engineer, Churchill Fellow and I write a column on mixing in-the-box for AudioTechnology Magazine. If you have a moment, please head to my studio website and you can hear some of my work with REAPER.

All the best!
Dax.
Great stuff Dax. Good to know. As i said, my impression was that there aren't that many people using Reaper compared to the other big DAW's due to some unhelpful and off-putting defaults. I of course, didn't say there aren't any at all!
Out of interest, I would welcome your opinion on my Feature Request, linked in my signature, if you have the time to glance it over.

Last edited by dimbow; 10-03-2013 at 05:32 PM.
dimbow is offline   Reply With Quote