Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
voidWentFlash
Human being with feelings

Default UAD Apollo ASIO drivers incompatible with Reaper (FIXED)

Hello all. Long time Reaper user, long time Reaper forum lurker, first time poster.

I have been using Reaper with a 1st generation UAD2 Apollo 8 interface for a couple years now. In the latest update to UAD software, my Apollo can now run properly with Thunderbolt in my Windows 10 environment with the new Consol 2.0, which is fantastic and all except for one pretty big issue: The ASIO drivers are not recognized by Reaper.

UA lists this as a known issue in the latest software release notes so I contacted their tech support about the issue and got the following (excerpted) reply:

Quote:
The issue with the Apollo Thunderbolt ASIO driver and Reaper is that Reaper places a character limit on the names of the ASIO drivers that can be used within the application. Reaper only accepts ASIO drivers that are 32 characters or less, and the name of our Apollo Thunderbolt ASIO driver just barely exceeds that limit.

We do plan on shortening the driver name in a future software release to comply with the character limits in these DAWs, however for the time being there is no known workaround. Note that this issue does not exist in any of our tested DAWs such as Pro Tools, Ableton Live, and Cubase. You may want to check with Cockos to see if they know of any way to bypass Reaper's character limit on driver names.
Is anyone else having this issue? And does anyone have any suggestions on how Reaper can either accomodate a longer ASIO driver name or how one could modify an ASIO driver to be less than 32 characters? UA is great but I imagine this issue isn't super high priority. In the mean time, I can only use Reaper with WDM which is not ideal.

I'd appreciate any insight into fixing this issue. Thanks!
(also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section on the forum. I used my best judgement)
voidWentFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for the report. We should be able to correct this for the next REAPER release.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
voidWentFlash

excellent! thanks Schwa. looking forward to it.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

The prerelease build is available with this fix. It would be great if you could test it!

5.29pre7 with the fix is here. If you do test and have any positive or negative feedback, please post in that thread, not this one.

General information about prerelease builds is here.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
voidWentFlash

i finally got a moment to give this a try. It works - I can use the new Apollo ASIO drivers with Reaper! Thanks for getting this into a pre-release build so quickly.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Great! Would you mind responding to whoever you have been communicating with at UAD to let them know the issue will be fixed in REAPER 5.29, which will probably be officially released in about a week?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
voidWentFlash

of course. i just updated my ticket with that information. now back to making rainy day music. thank you again!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
joe2

(I fear it might be time to re-open this thread!)

REAPER is crashing "pretty consistently" for me with the following setup:

- Universal Audio Apollo 8 Thunderbolt (latest firmware & software).

- StarTech[0] (or Apple) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt (2) adapter.

- USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port on Dell XPS 9560 laptop running Win10 (fully up-to-date).

By "pretty consistently", I mean this:

- My usual REAPER setup will crash as soon as it opens, when the Apollo TB ASIO driver is selected.

- A fresh, portable install of REAPER will open and play back some audio, but opening most projects results in a crash (*after* all/most? plugins have finished loading).

I've had a bit of a test with things like removing plugins, scripts, extensions, etc., but haven't been able to pinpoint anything specific yet. More testing is probably required.

If it helps, Windows Event Log includes this:

Code:
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\universal audio\powered plugins\drivers\audio\pcie\x64\uadasio.dll
FWIW, I haven't had any problems with my usual setup (RME Fireface UCX or Fireface 802 via USB).

It might be worth pointing out that these DAWs seem to run fine: Ableton Live 9, BitWig Studio 2.1 (demo), FL Studio 12, PreSonus Studio One 3 x64 (demo), and Reason 9.5 (demo). (My simple, first-pass test was to load a heavy-looking demo project in to each and just play it. I admit this isn't a good enough test, because of all the other things that might be involved, e.g. plugins.)

Any help would be much appreciated. (schwa, Justin?) Let me know if I can provide any more info that would be useful. Many thanks!

-----

[0] UA recommend the StarTech over the Apple, but I seem to have the same results with both. And the Apple one feels slightly better made, though I probably shouldn't be surprised about that.
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
joe2

Ah, to be clear (re my post above):

I have no problem seeing and selecting the appropriate Apollo ASIO driver in REAPER (at least so far as the Preferences -> Audio -> Device bit goes).

(It's called "Universal Audio Apollo TB". There are also options for "...Apollo FireWire" and "...Apollo Twin USB". I'm assuming this is just because UA's installer supplies all the drivers in one go regardless of the specific hardware, but I'm not sure, and this probably doesn't matter.)

After I click "OK" to save and dismiss the Prefs dialog, REAPER crashes. (And when I close it/restart, it'll crash immediately upon opening with my "usual" setup.)

So I know I might be confusing this thread a bit by heading off into an issue that's not exactly what was discussed and resolved above, but the thread title was too tempting to ignore. If necessary, I'll repost this in a new thread/different forum (or just link to this thread).

Cheers!
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
gloom

I have the exact same issue with the same setup (and UAD recommended adapter). Everything works in regular Windows operation, and Reaper works (though with some lag and just a plain stereo output) in other modes than ASIO, but once I switch to ASIO, it crashes. Cleaning out the reaper.ini for the audio setup allows me to enter Reaper again, but once again: once I select the Apollo TB interface under ASIO settings, it crashes.

Happens on Reaper 5.60 (64 bit).
gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
gloom

Okay, I fixed it. In case anyone else finds this thread and have the exact same problem as me and joe2, here’s what I did:

- Deleted the entire Reaper folder from AppData roaming profile
- Uninstalled Reaper using the official uninstaller
- Rebooted
- Installed a fresh version of Reaper

I could now set up the ASIO (Universal audio apollo TB) as expected, with no crashes and no lag.
gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Dhekke

I'm also having crashed with the UA ASIO drivers, but they usually happen after I alt-tab back into Reaper. Problems started after 5.61.

Following the steps suggested by gloom above did not fix the problem. I'm going to try installing a previous version of Reaper later today, likely 5.60, and see if I can make it stop.
Dhekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
MisterTrent

Default Error opening Audio Hardware

Hi guys, I think I'm one step behind you. Running Apollo 16 on Windows 10. I can launch Apollo console no problem. In Reaper however (v5.62, 64 bit) , no bueno: in Audio Device Settings I can see "Universal Audio Apollo Firewire" in the Device list but no inputs nor outputs available. (For my Focusrite Unit I can see everything.) Is there some glaring thing I am missing in the UAD Console setup which explains why I can see it in the list of devices but can't get it to work, thanks!
MisterTrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
JuniusRecCo

MisterTrent - you may want to change the selected device from "Apollo Firewire" to the one you probably actually have, "Apollo Thunderbolt." I had the same glitch when setting up my hardware for the first time.

Dhekke - I've been experiencing the same thing and think I have found a temporary solution. In preferences, turn off the "Close audio device when stopped and inactive" box. Before making that change, nearly any release of focus away from REAPER (even to its own dialog boxes, sometimes) would crash the program when you click or tab back.

REAPER version 5.70
UA Apollo Twin
Startech thunderbolt adapter
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming-7 motherboard
JuniusRecCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #15
Faderjockey

Ok my turn.. I just built new DAW and have Apollo 16MkII with all the same trouble above at different times..

I'm in the middle of 3 projects and I can not afford to be down more..
I got mine now to a point running from thumb drive portable using both 5.70 and 5.61 I think I have 5.62 on there too.. But now that's it's off my main drive I can minimize and maximize Reaper window (before would crash) I can open sessions (before it would crash if I had sessions with plugs I was missing or didn't install yet)

Now I get past all that and once in a great while it will crash opening a session saying can't find an impulse for Slate Verb..But if I quit and try again then it can find it.

But it does crash every time after I render a mix or file.. when it says it's done if I close the window for the render Reaper quits.. and the log says same thing about UAD ASIO driver .dll

I just dumped over 4grand in this upgrade and clients are starting to get annoyed..
not sure what to do..
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #16
ivansc

A thought: Have any of you guys tried using the current UAD drivers with a different DAW? Plenty of free/trial versions out there if you don`t actually own a second DAW & of course it removes one more variable.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
Faderjockey

I thought about it.. I love Reaper and really hate to switch to like Studio One in the middle of 3 band projects right now. I own PT11 use to be a Pro Tools years more then 10yrs ago.. When I first built this DAW before I even got this Apollo I put PT11 on just for some client sessions I needed to move to Reaper. But when I installed Apollo16 PT11 acted weird.. But wasn't a fair test I was more interested in it with Reaper.. I then reformatted the drive to get rid of old RME drivers and other stuff and hoped that would help.. And Since haven't tried PT11 again.. I just hate that it liters so much Avid crap all over the PC and I never use that program anymore..
At least Reaper can be tested on jump drive..
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
JuniusRecCo

“But it does crash every time after I render a mix or file.. when it says it's done if I close the window for the render Reaper quits.. and the log says same thing about UAD ASIO driver .dll”

Exact same situation here - including the $4k “upgrade.”
JuniusRecCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusRecCo View Post
“But it does crash every time after I render a mix or file.. when it says it's done if I close the window for the render Reaper quits.. and the log says same thing about UAD ASIO driver .dll”

Exact same situation here - including the $4k “upgrade.”
Not sure how long it will last.. but after crashes happening after every render i got it to stop when i clicked in preferences Ingnore ASIO reset (good for buggy divers)

Need to test more.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #20
ivansc

Can I now say "why the F$*&& didnt you just stick with RME?" I am totally partisan. Went through a ton of difdferent interfaces till finally breaking down and spending the money. Never regretted it. Rock solid, decent sound, what`s not to like.
And you can finally forget all about driver issues.
But there again I can see the attraction of the Appollo. I have a couple of old UAD1 cards and their plugs do still get regular use.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #21
Faderjockey

Well if you read my post.. I had to build new PC.. The RME wasn't as solid on WIN10 with that machine as it was with Win7 but it was still good. I used the PCI to Digiface since about 2005 when I moved from my large-ish Pro Tools TDM rig.

I ended up buying another Digiface with PCIe just to get the PCIe card..(So I'm not using their converters I trashed my RME ADI-8pros long ago thank god they were so cloudy sounding back then.)
Because I knew going to a new build it's hard to find PCI slots PCIe much easier.

So I had a SSL Alpha Link AX hooked Adat to that Digiface.
the SSL died..They want me to send them the unit plus $1200 to get not a new unit but a refurbished one.. So yes I could have kept the Digiface and got other converters..
But I'm in the middle of 3 projects and one of them I'm doing at 32bit 96K First one I've done that way.. I started it at another studio with and 32ch API 1608 and we all wanted to do it at 96K.. That would half my 24 converters to 12 on the SSL which is fine for all the over dubs.. But I have another project tracking at my place at that will be 96K as well and 12 inputs isn't enough.

So jump to I bought a Apollo faster then I wanted to..Thanks to the SSL death.. But my ex drummer and close friend got me a really good deal on the Apollo and I got it in time to also get the free Octo satellite.. and I already have the Quad and Duo PCIe.. So there's my story..

Would you like to buy my RME's I have 2 Digifaces and 1 PCI and 1 PCIe cards
Oh.. and a SSL Alpha Link Madi AX I'll sell dirt cheap and you can send it back to them plus $1200 and get another one that works..
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 AM   #22
ivansc

(grin) Yeah - it all gets very different when you are working for clients and there is a serious time constraint!
I am pretty happy with my 2 RME setups, one of which is a little travelling laptop rig with a Babyface. I must have gone though about a dozen different USB interfaces befoer I finally broke down and bought it.
Surprised SSL are asking you almost the price of a new unit for a refurb! How far out of warranty were you?
I am strictly personal/hobby use these days, so not really interested in expanding what I have.
Thanks for the offer, though.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #23
Faderjockey

I bought that unit in 2008 I got it at cost at least from a dealer who hooked me up because they deal our products (guitar pedals).. I surprised it stopped working.. Left my studio once to go to another studio stayed in the same rack under my Dangerous Dbox for all those years.. it still locked to Adat but the analog I/0 just stopped. But I think the clocking got weird to on it.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #24
ivansc

Shame when something you really like goes bad.
I beta'd for SSL when they went native with Duende and the BEST thing they ever did was to get rid of the CmStick security system. Spent more time debugging that than the plugins!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #25
vekkth

For anyone still having problems similar to this, I had exectly the same - exchanged my USB Apollo for a TB version and Reaper started to crash on open any driver initiation. What helped me:

1. clean reinstall of Repaer with removing appdata folder
2. even after that it was still crashing, but for some odd reason what really helped is if launched with "open audio setup" option it would let me choose the config without crushing, so at some point i checked "ignore ASIO driver reset error box and it worked from that.

Interesting thing is that after everything started working i tried to uncheck that option and it still worked.
Have no idea why. Now its all fine, thanks God. Thanks everyone who posted their solutions to this, really helped.
vekkth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #26
thebo

[QUOTE=vekkth;2001267]For anyone still having problems similar to this, I had exectly the same - exchanged my USB Apollo

Could you explain why you switched from the usb to TB version? I am considering purchasing the usb Apollo.

Thanks,
Greg
thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 03:13 PM   #27
RedStone

I have been having weird audio stuttering issues with Ozone 10 and thought it was Ozone. I followed every conceivable direction I could find online to try to optimize my PC and solve the issue, but nothing worked.

Then I decided to change the audio driver in reaper ... it worked. No more stuttering! So the ASIO driver for UAD is the root of the problem. The WMD driver works fine.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:45 PM   #28
RedStone

After a TON more testing, it turns out it's a hardware issue. The HDMI on my machine is bad. when a second monitor is attached, it has greatly reduced capacity for audio processing for some reason.

I read that using a VGA second monitor solves this issue. It may solve other audio stuttering issues as well, esp if using integrated graphics from AMD with HDMI ports.