Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
twoleftfeet
Human being with feelings

Default roland vs 2480 conversion project

howdy reaperites
i am in the middle of changing from my 2480 to a reaper set up with a 2018 mac mini
i am hoping to get the attention of fellow 2480 users that understand the process and my issues....
last night i took a windows 7? 10? not sure, laptop and downloaded the most recent reaper software
i also did the same with the 2018 mac mini that i just got, so far so good.

the windows laptop has that dll file that magically rips open the propietary roland files and turns them into reaper files, no problem there

the problem is my ignorance in thinking that i could take the newly converted reaper files from my windows laptop and be able to open up the same files with the mac mini, which, no can do...

so....there probably is no way to be able to take a reaper file from a windows machine and get it to work on a mac machine, if there is, love to hear about it

if not, wondering if the best thing for me is to just get a windows machine (the one i have may be kinda slow) or if it makes sense to partition the mac mini HD and use it as a windows machine for reaper, hope that makes sense

okay, i've babbled on enough for now
thanks for any thoughts, questions or sarcastic comments

twoleftfeet
twoleftfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
uncleswede

What files does the "magical DLL" create from the 2480?
Reaper can use most audio file formats...

Does this help (or is this the magical DLL)?

https://www.roland.com/us/support/kn...ase/217876943/
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftfeet View Post
howdy reaperites
i am in the middle of changing from my 2480 to a reaper set up with a 2018 mac mini
i am hoping to get the attention of fellow 2480 users that understand the process and my issues....
last night i took a windows 7? 10? not sure, laptop and downloaded the most recent reaper software
i also did the same with the 2018 mac mini that i just got, so far so good.

the windows laptop has that dll file that magically rips open the propietary roland files and turns them into reaper files, no problem there

the problem is my ignorance in thinking that i could take the newly converted reaper files from my windows laptop and be able to open up the same files with the mac mini, which, no can do...

so....there probably is no way to be able to take a reaper file from a windows machine and get it to work on a mac machine, if there is, love to hear about it

if not, wondering if the best thing for me is to just get a windows machine (the one i have may be kinda slow) or if it makes sense to partition the mac mini HD and use it as a windows machine for reaper, hope that makes sense

okay, i've babbled on enough for now
thanks for any thoughts, questions or sarcastic comments

twoleftfeet
surely reaper can export\consolidate the project-tracks,from there tranfer
this to your MAC computer...

martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
twoleftfeet

uncle swede and martmix
thanks for your replies
that roland link is something about getting your song data onto a CD or DVD but still staying within the roland system

the dll file i am referring to was created maybe 10 or more years ago by someone on the roland forum,(Bear maybe?) that broke the roland software and allowed you to migrate your songs to reaper. a big deal back then, and still a very useful tool. martmix you seem to be saying that by changing the file format in reaper i could take reaper files from a windows machine and migrate them to a mac machine, yes? or do you mean something else?
Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftfeet View Post
uncle swede and martmix
thanks for your replies
that roland link is something about getting your song data onto a CD or DVD but still staying within the roland system

the dll file i am referring to was created maybe 10 or more years ago by someone on the roland forum,(Bear maybe?) that broke the roland software and allowed you to migrate your songs to reaper. a big deal back then, and still a very useful tool. martmix you seem to be saying that by changing the file format in reaper i could take reaper files from a windows machine and migrate them to a mac machine, yes? or do you mean something else?
[reaper_vs plugin] created by randygo(on vs-planet)but i dont think it work MAC-pc

i mean you can export(separate-tracks)to a format that MAC recogize the waves-files,i dont know wich on maybe AIFF,(someone can confirm)

cheer
martin

Last edited by martmix; 08-28-2020 at 02:41 PM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
twoleftfeet

Martin
yes, that sounds right, Randygo rings a bell, it was a while back.....
at any rate, if anyone can add more info to help me go from windows to mac in reaper, that would be sweeeet
thanks
Old 08-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #7
Win Conway

martmix already told you, consolidate the tracks, so instead of being in roland proprietary format and being converted by the .dll, it is now a project folder with wav files that will load in anything, not just Reaper.
I use Windows and MacOS interchangeably with Reaper
Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
twoleftfeet

someone in the reaper forums said this"The only condition is that when you initially save or save-as the project, make sure you check the boxes to "Create subdirectory for project" and "Copy all media into project directory" so all of the audio files are included in the project directory."

so last night i pulled a song file from my roland 2480 and plugged the card into my windows machine that has the dll file to open the roland format up..
then i did a save as to another jump drive. there was a similar box that came up when you do the consolidate track thing, regardless it worked and now i can open up and play my songs on my new mac mini machine

today i will mess with the track consolidation thing before saving, to see what difference it has on the files, but at least it works

thank you !!