Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
Walt_43
Human being with feelings

Default Live compression

Hi all, sorry if this has been answered a billion times before, but I'm recording voiceover into Reaper using one mic (mono) and I want to use ReaComp for live compression. Is there any way to do this because when I add the plugin as an insert, it doesn't seem to be affecting the signal at all. I've even used extreme threshold and ratio values just to make sure I was driving the compressor and although the meter in ReapComp is responding (you can see the amount of gain reduction, etc.), the actual recorded audio waveform is exactly the same as if I'd used no compression. I'm sure I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here, so any help would be much appreciated.
Walt_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. when you say "as an insert" are you applying the effect as Kenny outlines here?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSDZYGq3u8
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Walt_43

Marti, you're a genius! That's exactly what I was looking for. All the years I'm using Reaper and I didn't know you could do this. Thanks a million to you and Kenny!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
martifingers

Cool! But I am no genius. Kenny on the other hand...
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Walt_43

Well I supppose genius is relative. :-)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Why do you think you need this? It partly defeats the non-destructive nature of Reaper's processing. You won't be able to adjust the compressor after recording, and you definitely won't be able to do the "proper" thing of volume leveling before the compression. You're basically just boxing yourself in.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Walt_43

Yeah, I think you're probably right, Ashcat. It was a momentary idea I had that turned into a campaign to find out how to do this in Reaper. I'm glad I found out how to do it. At the time of my post, I was getting occasional peaks and I just wanted to use gentle compression on the input to deal with them, but in the end, I just pulled the input down to give me more headroom.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Walt_43-1 of the greater things reaper can do-is multi tracked recordings -
eg: you can set up say 3 (or as many you like) tracks,each with different [input fx] + different post recording [track fx] +not only that,reaper will also record multi formats! eg: 1 wav rec,or,1mp3 rec,or,1flac rec--lots of options to choose from! <all at the same time..
which means... upto your computing powers> sky has no limits! for both input fx+output fx templating=niiice (*_*)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt_43 View Post
At the time of my post, I was getting occasional peaks and I just wanted to use gentle compression on the input to deal with them...
See that's what I was afraid of. ReaComp can't do anything about clipping at the input of your interface. Even in InputFX, it's still after your mic pre and ADC. If it's clipping there, it's still clipped going into ReaComp, and then it's just clipped AND compressed. Turning down the input is definitely a better option in most cases. Dynamic control of the performance itself is even betterer.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
See that's what I was afraid of. ReaComp can't do anything about clipping at the input of your interface.

^yes-- problem with using 16 or 24 bit interfacing is this clipping thing ...pre_daw inputs need tobe contained to levels less than 0 db --
when your using itb plugins and set to record @ 32bit-- this is no problemo at all!
there are 32bit interfacings available...not actually tested any though tbh.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

32 bits is just smaller slices of the same pizza. The whole thing can only be as big as the oven in which it's cooked.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt_43 View Post
the actual recorded audio waveform is exactly the same as if I'd used no compression.
probably worth mentioning that your waveform doesn't change when you add insert fx (unless you render it)
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Walt_43

Yep, this was my problem domzy, but Marti then showed me how to add it at the input.

However, Ashcat, I get what you're saying. I hadn't thought of it that way. Headroom has been king up to now so I should have known better. Thanks for clarifying the issue with the signal path.