Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default Tranzistow synth for JACK, by Hrastprogrammer

This was a new synth discovery for me that I’ve never seen mentioned here, even though it is not a new synth. Apparently, it is designed not as a clone or emulation, but is designed “in the spirit of” the hardware Solaris synth. It sounds really nice! The gui is functional over form, but it supports Linux (as a JACK application).

Here’s what it sounds like:

https://youtu.be/397SW6SJOwA

Here’s where to get it:

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwerk/tranzistow.htm

Best,

Sean

Last edited by audiojunkie; 08-31-2021 at 12:29 PM.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
audiojunkie

Weird. I didn't expect to be the only one that found this to be a very cool sounding instrument.....
Old 08-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
PMan

I couldn't get it to run, I keep getting alsa errors...

I does look interesting, though.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I couldn't get it to run, I keep getting alsa errors...

I does look interesting, though.
Is that through trying to run it as a standalone instrument or as a plugin?
Old 08-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
PMan

Standalone. How do you run it as a plugin? doesn't it need a .so file?
Old 08-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
audiojunkie

Quote:
Standalone. How do you run it as a plugin? doesn't it need a .so file?
I just went back and checked. I misinterpreted the webpage. I thought there were VST versions for Linux as well as for Windows. It appears that the Linux version uses JACK for its connection, rather than being an LV2 or VST. You'll need to have JACK installed, and then you should be able to run it as a plugin by first loading the CARLA plugin, and then loading Tranzistow into Carla.

The majority of the Linux details are in the PDF document on the web site. Here are some brief details, but the rest can be found in the PDF document:

Tranzistow is available on Linux in the form of 32-bit and 64-bit standalone audio applications (no Hrastow on Linux). In order to use it you need 32-bit or 64-bit Linux with at least GTK2 version 2.8 installed (GTK3+ is not supported yet). I recommend 64-bit Ubuntu Studio distribution as the best one currently available, IMHO. There is no Tranzistow installation per se - just unpack the ZIP archive into some folder and that's it. Tranzistow use ALSA, Jack or PortAudio/PortMIDI to communicate with audio and MIDI hardware, so you must have correct driver and firmware installed for the sound card you intend to use. You need libasound2 as well, although I suspect it is already installed together with ALSA. By default, Tranzistow will connect to "hw:0,0" audio device and "hw:0,0" MIDI device, but this
can be changed through configuration/INI files. If you intend to use Jack then you must have Jack installed and configured properly, of course. The same with PortAudio/PortMIDI.

Here is a link to the actual document:

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrast...Tranzistow.pdf

I would recommend checking to see if you have the following installed on your system:

GTK 2.8 or higher of the GTK2 series (Doesn't yet support GTK3 or GTK4)
Libasound 2
JACK
CARLA

Also, I noticed that it was designed specifically to work at a 96Khz sample rate, but the developer said it may work at other sample rates as well. It's worth it to try at that rate though until you have determined the source of your problem.

Let me know how it goes! :-)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
audiojunkie

I'm going to correct my original thread title, since it isn't actually a VST. I don't want the title to be misleading--I truly thought it was a VST when I originally posted this. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
JamesPeters

So...you didn't test it at all, you didn't even know it wasn't a Linux VST plugin, but you criticized the rest of us for not immediately using it and falling in love with it?

I have little interest in something that's not a plugin and requires Jack to use with Reaper. Also no offense but the sounds I heard in a few demo clips sound as though I could get them using Surge (although I assume it's possible it can do more than those sounds, and I might be missing some aspect which makes it unique).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
PMan

I was trying to run it standalone.
I get an error that says "error setting ALSA audio sample format".

I am curious, but I don't want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting just to see if it's something that I'm interested in, plus I work exclusively in Reaper.

That being said, thanks for the info!
Old 08-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Quote:
If it's meant to work in 96 KHz only (and "may work at other sample rates"), I would have to assume it will only work at 96 KHz and that you need to set Jack to 96 KHz which means also Reaper will have to run at 96 KHz.

I don't run at 96 KHz, so that's one more reason I'm not interested in this standalone synth. If it clearly did something unique that I wanted, that might be different.

Try Surge. It's great, and it's a Linux VST (and LV2) plugin.

@Sean: your first post still says "it supports Linux and is a VST". Technically that's correct since there's a standalone synth for Linux and there's also a Windows VST of it, but the way that statement is written can lead people to believe there's a Linux VST version.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #11
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
So...you didn't test it at all, you didn't even know it wasn't a Linux VST plugin, but you criticized the rest of us for not immediately using it and falling in love with it?

I have little interest in something that's not a plugin and requires Jack to use with Reaper. Also no offense but the sounds I heard in a few demo clips sound as though I could get them using Surge (although I assume it's possible it can do more than those sounds, and I might be missing some aspect which makes it unique).
No! No! No! No! No! .....yes! (<---referencing a Monty Python joke, there) :-D

I still need to reinstall my OS, and haven't had the time, so I hadn't yet tried it. However, I had posted a youtube video of how it sounds, and thought for sure there would be more comments about the sound quality--even if no one had tested it.

So, I wouldn't say I was criticizing anyone for not testing it.... I was just surprised that no one commented on how it sounds. :-D

And....to be honest. I have little interest in something that's not a plugin and requires JACK to use as well, so I'm quite disappointed, because I probably won't be using Tranzistow either.

As for it sounding like Surge.... I may need to go back and check out some more Surge presets and see if I can hear some of the mad modulation going on. It may not be necessary to look further than Surge (or possibly Vital) if that's the case.

I recognize that the sounds may not be to everyone's liking, but they sounded quite a bit like the Solaris hardware (from which Tranzistow gets its inspiration), and were a far different sound palette than the typical virtual analog subtractive synths that we so commonly hear--very unique. That's why I posted in the first place.

But, no. Please don't take my comments as criticism! :-) Take it more as me originally being surprised originally at the lack of enthusiasm of having a new and different palette of sounds available as a VST instrument--which turns out to likely not be the case after all. :-)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
audiojunkie

Quote:

I am curious, but I don't want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting just to see if it's something that I'm interested in, plus I work exclusively in Reaper.

That being said, thanks for the info!
No worries! Now that I recognize that it is a JACK synth, it doesn't quite fit into my workflow either. :-)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
JamesPeters

Once you actually start using these plugins, you'll see why Surge is keeping me from caring about most other synths.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
pax-eterna

Quote:
Once you actually start using these plugins, you'll see why Surge is keeping me from caring about most other synths.
Might be worth a look...
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
audiojunkie

Quote:
If it's meant to work in 96 KHz only (and "may work at other sample rates"), I would have to assume it will only work at 96 KHz and that you need to set Jack to 96 KHz which means also Reaper will have to run at 96 KHz.

I don't run at 96 KHz, so that's one more reason I'm not interested in this standalone synth. If it clearly did something unique that I wanted, that might be different.

Try Surge. It's great, and it's a Linux VST (and LV2) plugin.

@Sean: your first post still says "it supports Linux and is a VST". Technically that's correct since there's a standalone synth for Linux and there's also a Windows VST of it, but the way that statement is written can lead people to believe there's a Linux VST version.
Good catch! Thanks! I originally changed the title, but only skimmed my post and missed that I also mentioned that it was a VST there. I have now corrected my post. Now, since it's not truly what I am wanting, and since Surge (and possibly Vital/Vitalium) seem to be possible (and better) replacements, we can let this thread die. :-D
Old 08-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
audiojunkie

Quote:
I've never been much of a synth "programmer". I have always felt more at home in the realm of sampling. :-) That said, I'll have to start searching for more Surge patches. :-)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #17
JamesPeters

I don't program patches much either. I've done it a few times in a few synths but it takes a lot of work. Surge has lots of great presets and fortunately editing a patch is a lot easier than creating one, so I can usually find a sound I like and edit it a bit to get it closer to what I wanted.

The new version of Surge (Surge XT) has an improved patch browser with search feature. That version is a bit unstable at the moment, but when it's ready, that's going to be great. Apparently it's capable of even more than Surge too. People are creating patches for it that sound really good (I heard some on the Discord channel).
Old 08-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #18
pax-eterna

creating patches used to be easy circa Roland Jx3P et al, you know when all you had was an oscillator or two, an ADSR and an LFO , but these days on some synths and workstations you just about need a mathematics degree to figure em out haha! It's why I too, usually start with presets and tweak.

Although after checking the web page, that Surge looks pretty straightforward to me I mean that in a good way!
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #19
EvilDragon

To say Surge can sound like Tranzistow shows perhaps a lack of appreciation for the amount of work and DSP chops that went into Tranzistow. They don't sound at all alike, Tranzistow has overall way higher quality DSP inside (Surge is very much a mixed bag in this regard, especially the old filters are quite meh) and is properly multitimbral, it has insane modulation capabilities Surge cannot touch (including a lot of audio-rate modulations which Surge simply doesn't do except inter-oscillator FM)...

But anyways two synths with two very different philosophies behind them, and both are equally valid. One can get lost in either of them. But Tranzistow is just more of everything. And you know what Malmsteen said - more is more!

Sincerely, one of Surge developers, and also a friend of HrastProgrammer.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-06-2021 at 03:41 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
To say Surge can sound like Tranzistow shows perhaps a lack of appreciation for the amount of work and DSP chops that went into Tranzistow. They don't sound at all alike, Tranzistow has overall way higher quality DSP inside (Surge is very much a mixed bag in this regard, especially the old filters are quite meh) and is properly multitimbral, it has insane modulation capabilities Surge cannot touch (including a lot of audio-rate modulations which Surge simply doesn't do except inter-oscillator FM)...

Sincerely, one of Surge developers,
Get to work, then.

I did say this: "...although I assume it's possible it can do more than those sounds, and I might be missing some aspect which makes it unique." I'm quick to dismiss a standalone synth (something not available as a VST or LV2 plugin) if it seems I can use something else for the same job (at least for what I recognize, or for my preferences). That's one part of my prejudice. The other part: programming patches is a confusing nightmare to me, so if the synth doesn't sound pretty much the way I want right away, I'm likely to give up and never recognize its potential.

I consider myself duly corrected.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:01 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
I'm quick to dismiss a standalone synth (something not available as a VST or LV2 plugin) if it seems I can use something else for the same job (at least for what I recognize, or for my preferences).
I downloaded and then found out that Tranzistow was not picked up by REAPER. That killed it 100% for me. If I can't use it in my recording software, why do I even want it?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #22
JamesPeters

Standalone synths that require Jack are common enough in Linux and were pretty much the norm for years, and apparently it saves hassle trying to make it a plugin which will work on various systems, so I can understand why a developer would choose to do this. If I were more of a synth fan, and this did something special for me, I'd consider using it even though I'd have to configure it with Jack.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:04 AM   #23
EvilDragon

I reckon it's entirely possible to use Tranzistow VST2 plugin on Linux through WINE. Unsure if anyone tried that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I downloaded and then found out that Tranzistow was not picked up by REAPER. That killed it 100% for me. If I can't use it in my recording software, why do I even want it?
Reaper picked it up just fine over here...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #24
JamesPeters

What distro did you try it in, ED?
Old 09-07-2021, 04:38 AM   #25
SmajjL

Thanks for the tip! never heard bout it'h

Is ED on Linux? and/or involved with opensource synths? OMG congrats Penguins!

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-07-2021 at 04:44 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #26
cern.th.skei

i have an older version of tranzistow installed here, in vst2 format.. bit it has always been pretty unstable, and not following the vst2 specs too well.. i was hoping for a fixed version, as it has some very interesting sounds and capabilities..

but he/they dropped the vst2 format instead? ok, i'll just keep the old version.. not interested in standalone synths/"plugins"...
Old 09-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I reckon it's entirely possible to use Tranzistow VST2 plugin on Linux through WINE. Unsure if anyone tried that?

Reaper picked it up just fine over here...
Is that a native Linux VST2 or a bridged Windows VST2? I've pretty much eliminated all Windows plugins on my machine, and am only using Kontakt on a regular basis in projects at this point.

What I downloaded appeared to be a stand alone synth.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #28
JamesPeters

He means a Windows VST2 and that you should use Wine.

I was being facetious in my post asking what distro he used. He doesn't use Linux, despite being a dev of Surge. He's a total Windows 10 fan. He wears Microsoft t-shirts.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #29
SmajjL

Quote:
He doesn't use Linux, despite being a dev of Surge. He's a total Windows 10 fan. He wears Microsoft t-shirts.
*Oww'chi*

So Surge is dragon-powered now? good!
Yeah, Windows *does* work and Everything just works on Windows, Linux is not for everyone and some don't have time to tinker etc, but Linux will be there should anyone or any, thing, change your mind
If one have 100 payed-for software that mostly work on Windows, then a tad hard maby? i could use either, i'm not married to any OS

Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
He means a Windows VST2 and that you should use Wine.
I'll never install any Windows VST/VSTi plugins again. I have the few instrument plugins I need working, and have zero interest in installing any additional plugins that aren't native Linux.

Quote:
I was being facetious in my post asking what distro he used. He doesn't use Linux, despite being a dev of Surge. He's a total Windows 10 fan. He wears Microsoft t-shirts.
It looks like a zero, but real Windows fans wear the Cortana T-Shirt!

Old 09-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #31
JamesPeters

Quote:
I'll never install any Windows VST/VSTi plugins again. I have the few instrument plugins I need working, and have zero interest in installing any additional plugins that aren't native Linux.
I don't use Windows VST (or Windows software) either. Actually there's one exception: REAPER FX Presets Sorter by Edgemeal.

Quote:
It looks like a zero, but real Windows fans wear the Cortana T-Shirt!

We know what to get ED for Christmas.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
I don't use Windows VST (or Windows software) either. Actually there's one exception: REAPER FX Presets Sorter by Edgemeal.
I use Superior Drummer until I replace it with real acoustic drums, and I use Kontakt on a lot of projects, but that's about it with Windows plugins for me. I could even do without Superior Drummer as it never ends up in completed projects, but since I have a license for it, I use it as an elaborate metronome. Kontakt OTOH I use on more projects than not and it is the only Windows plugin I really need.

Quote:
We know what to get ED for Christmas.
There's also the Microsoft Covid19 mask (insert Microsoft virus joke here).

Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #33
SmajjL

Could you please *not* provoke dragon's, wizard's, godzilla's, kong's or the borg? thx
Ps, typed this from the "distro" Windows 10

Old 09-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #34
DuX

Well, both Tranzistow and Diodow work fabulously here with Reaper 666 on Debian Linux 10. The catch is to put both executable and VST2 plugin in the VST folder. It says so in the Tranzistow manual.

Incredible synths. Especially Tranzistow. It's my newest discovery. I love the no-fuss user interface. I'm a fan of efficiency and I can work fast with this. Hell, I used to program patches on Korg Wavestation SR which has a 2x16 screen. Back in the day I would kill for a Wavestation editor that looks like Tranzistow's. In fact we used such editors, or any editors pretty much [Sounddiver].

Back to Tranzistow...

Last edited by DuX; 09-09-2022 at 02:21 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 AM   #35
4duhwinnn

Quote:

There's also the Microsoft Covid19 mask (insert Microsoft virus joke here).

Any mask that mounts on the ears is itself a sick joke. Utterly worthless against a virus. If some stupid company were to make a mask capable of stopping a virus, the wearer would have to inhale so hard, that the virii would just be sucked in through the several facial gaps allowed by ear-mounted masks. Wearing such a beast, if one were to hit the open market, would hinder physical labor, and be too expensive to replace in a timely way. But the status quo makes people feel like hollywood elites, acting out their parts to save the world.

I saw a seagull fly under a bridge...about the same degree of difficulty as a virus passing through the typical media approved masks.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Any mask that mounts on the ears is itself a sick joke. Utterly worthless against a virus. If some stupid company were to make a mask capable of stopping a virus, the wearer would have to inhale so hard, that the virii would just be sucked in through the several facial gaps allowed by ear-mounted masks. Wearing such a beast, if one were to hit the open market, would hinder physical labor, and be too expensive to replace in a timely way. But the status quo makes people feel like hollywood elites, acting out their parts to save the world.

I saw a seagull fly under a bridge...about the same degree of difficulty as a virus passing through the typical media approved masks.
Cheers
Instead of wearing a stoopid and ineffective mask, just get infected and take Paxlovid! Then you can get right back to playing with synthesizers.

Who was that masked man?