Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
Philb211054
Human being with feelings

Default A&H Zed 12FX only showing 2 mono choices inputs Codec 1 & 2

This is probably a very simple fix, but have spent all day trying to resolve on my own.... no joy

Using Zed 12 FX Audio Interface and Mixer, connected to my Toshiba Laptop via USB 2.0 codec with Windows 7 Pro & Asio4All v2.

Have Enabled inputs in preferences, 1st Audio USB Codec 1, Last Audio USB Codec 2, same for outputs, no other choices.

So when setting up for recording I cannot route different instruments to separate tracks, as selection is limited to Codec 1 or 2.

Asio Configuration also set to USB Audio Codec.

Thoughts please.....

Cheers Philb

Last edited by Philb211054; 06-15-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: additional text
Philb211054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
Stella645

It's a stereo in out device only.

You could record 2 individual inputs by panning them full left/right on the mixer

If you were hoping for multitrack recording you got the wrong mixer I'm afraid.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
ivansc

From the A&H site:

SEND OPTIONS
1) Main Mix Left + Right (Post-fade)
2) Main Mix Left + Right (Pre-Fade)
3) Auxes 1-2
4) Auxes 3-4

Which means you can send to any ONE of the four options.
I suspect you are wanting to send separate instruments to individual tracks in Reaper, which you can only do two tracks at a time, or send the whole mix to two tracks.
I havent looked on the manual, but IF you have either inserts on each channel or direct outs, you CAN use this mixer for multitrack recording, but you are going to have to buy a multi input audio interface to do it.

I have to say it, but you may well have bought the wrong equipment for the task.

Heh - pushed the send button just before me, Stella!
Old 06-15-2019, 03:17 AM   #4
ivansc

Just checked and you DO have channel inserts. The way to use them as individual outs is to partially insert a stereo jack so only the "out" part is connected & then you will have an individual send for that track. If you use a multichannel audio interface, you can then plug individual instrument channels into individual tracks in Reaper or any other DAW. Sadly the interface (especially if you want 8 or more inputs) is going to cost you more than the mixer & frankly will make the mixer mostly redundant.

FWIW I use a RME Babyface on my laptop which can be connected to one of my Focusrite Octopre 8in/8out Interfaces via ADAT.
I also use the same Octopres with an RME pci slot HDSP9652 in my main desktop machine, which allows me up to 24 in AND out.

There are other cheaper multi I/O options out there, but it will depend on your budget & what you feel like doing after this rather nasty news. Feel for you.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Bazzbass

I really think these mixers are just preying on people who haven't done their research or don't understand what they are trying to acheive.
What real use is a 12 channel mixer that only sends a stereo master to the DAW, I mean why even build such a device?
I understand using it as a sub mixer for say mixing 12 drum mics down to a stereo pair, but it's still better for it to send 12 individual tracks isn't it?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
serr

The manual states the USB interface is 2 in x 2 out.
The manual further suggests that the 2 channel interface is only 16 bit!
If someone sold you this claiming it had a full audio interface built-in, you got baited and switched. Return it.

Most of the combo analog mixer + audio interface products only include a 2x2 interface. Very common. The Soundcraft 22MTK is a low budget combo analog board + 22 x 24 channel interface FYI. I think it's the only one with an actual full interface built in in that price range.

If you really need an analog board tagging along with your audio interface and you're on a budget, the Soundcraft might be the ticket.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
I really think these mixers are just preying on people who haven't done their research or don't understand what they are trying to acheive.
What real use is a 12 channel mixer that only sends a stereo master to the DAW, I mean why even build such a device?
I understand using it as a sub mixer for say mixing 12 drum mics down to a stereo pair, but it's still better for it to send 12 individual tracks isn't it?
It's for the old school club owner that will not ever learn how to run anything digital. No matter what. (Probably never learn to mix in the first place either but I digress.) The interface is only there to let him record his shitty incomplete reinforcement mix that won't ever be of any use to anyone to the computer. He could use the USB return to play house music from his Dell laptop too but instead chooses to use the 1/8" headphone output with his 1/8" to rca cord with one broken channel.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Philb211054

Thanks to all for your response's and feedback.

The A&H is currently now on the market and I have gone back to my old Tascam US-122L and Digitech mixer. Sadly the Tascam also only provides two inputs.

So my question now is "what would be the best Audio Interface/Mixer - need 6 inputs".

Anyone who may wish to respond should understand that when I was young we simply put a mic in front of the speaker cabinet, put a new cassette tape into the tape recorder and pushed record.

To get my head into this space I am currently watching all the video's on the Reaper channel , by Kenny Gioia, just looking for some advice

So all your experienced input will be very much appreciated. I will review the options offered so far.

Last edited by Philb211054; 06-16-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #9
Bazzbass

do you really need a mixer?
I'd just get a Focusrite 18i20 interface
it has 8 mic pres, midi in out, it's all you'll need.
Record all 8 channels straight to Reaper, mix it in there.
Around $800 here in Oz. I love mine.I can record my band live, even if I mic an acoustic kit instead of the easier electric kit with stereo out.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
serr

The Soundcraft 12MTK is the baby version and has 8 mic pres and 4 line inputs. All 12 channels are available on the built in interface. $350 is a pretty frugal price for sure!

This is only interesting if you really truly need an analog mixer!
Just about any standard audio interface would be a better deal if you were recording and mixing with the computer.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
Philb211054

Default Audio Mix/Interface Allen & Heath Zed 12FX

Have been doing a lot of reading and research and have to agree with the replies received to date.

Looking at buying a decent audio interface, currently looking at Babyface & Focusrite.

Just want to 100% certain that I can record individual instruments to separate tracks as now see that Reaper has plenty of capacity,
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #12
ivansc

FWIW I went from the Behringer ADA8000 to the Focusrites, but frankly the newer version of the Behringer is probably at the very least as good as the Focusrites & more likely better. The only reason I switched was because of power supply problems with the original ADA8000. That is one of the thingsd they addressed in the newer version. Other than that, I struggled to hear the difference in quality between the original and the focusrite, much to my surprise.

Behringer`s recent stuff since they got involved with some truly pro designers is much better than back in the old days.