Old 02-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #41
Refillable
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
You can get No6 pretty clean transparent, too, but too much fiddling with it for me. It's quite a full-featured gadget, isn't it?
If you only use the limiter and protection section of the No6, it's fairly simple and effective. But yes, there's a lot of features if you dive into it.
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #42
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBerniman View Post
Depending on the goal U have mastering can be a simple "technical step", for example a dithering or a limiting step, or it can be heavier, more "artisitic" so to speak.

With Waves plugs You can get a decent mastering using a single plug let's say a Mazeratti GRPone : it has some presets to do a decent heavy mastering glued and loud!! Only with 2-3 knobs without dealing with a 31 band Eq or comp or whatever!!!

With Waves U can put on Ur master a Vitamine plug : it manages Ur Eq/Widening/Harmonics in the same place!!! U just have to put a limiter at the end to get Ur O limit!!!

It's a different way to deal with a simple comp or eq to get what U want to achieve!!!
Vitamin looks like it might be pretty cool.. but it does allow a fair amount of control too. Ive never tried it

Exciters are one of those processors I find myself trying (and im trying to break this habbit) in hopes it does soemthing cool..
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
Exciters are one of those processors I find myself trying (and im trying to break this habbit) in hopes it does soemthing cool..
Some are real and some fake. Strange but true -- some work rather well and a few, like that 3-piece series that Nomad Factory offers, don't seem to do a damn thing. Never could understand what that's all about. "No Hear'ums" plugin FX.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:54 AM   #44
rightonthemark

AAMS

LANDR

BlueMountainMastering

or ReaEQ, MStereoExpander, ReaXcomp and Limiter #6
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:27 AM   #45
Judders

If you're mastering your own material, why would you want to drastically change how your mix sounds with exciters, compressors, tape sims and EQ?

Doesn't that just mean you didn't mix it right? Sure, by all means strap that stuff across the 2-buss in mix if it floats your boat, but why mess around with frequency and harmonics that affect relative balance after you've mixed the song?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #46
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
If you're mastering your own material, why would you want to drastically change how your mix sounds with exciters, compressors, tape sims and EQ?

Doesn't that just mean you didn't mix it right? Sure, by all means strap that stuff across the 2-buss in mix if it floats your boat, but why mess around with frequency and harmonics that affect relative balance after you've mixed the song?
Absolutely! When I mix "indie" projects that might likely not see a proper mastering studio, I slap everything* on the mix buss minus the final limiter. That way I have a "polished" mix and I can limit it later (different requirements for vinyl than for digital).

* ("everything" is maybe a hi-end tape chain, a subtle Baxandall EQ, a buss compressor and ... that's it. No exciters, never (eewwwww!!!)
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 AM   #47
bladerunner

Quote:
You can get No6 pretty clean transparent, too, but too much fiddling with it for me. It's quite a full-featured gadget, isn't it?
You just switch off the parts you don't need. The only thing I like about that plugin is the soft clipper. I much prefer a number of other limiters for the limiting part.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #48
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
You just switch off the parts you don't need. The only thing I like about that plugin is the soft clipper. I much prefer a number of other limiters for the limiting part.
Couldn't agree more. I've archived it. I still use Vlad's Molot. Love that (can be) dirty green thing. Can do a flavour of one Neve and a Fairchild on the other switch/settings.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #49
bladerunner

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I've archived it. I still use Vlad's Molot. Love that (can be) dirty green thing. Can do a flavour of one Neve and a Fairchild on the other switch/settings.
Yes, Molot is possibly my most used compressor. It took a while to really get a handle on it but I use it for lots of applications now. Nothing else like it (for free anyway).
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #50
TheFlavor
Banned

Quote:

Doesn't that just mean you didn't mix it right?
exciters, compressors, tape sims on the master bus give you options impossible to achieve by processing individual tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodulation

(EQ doesn't, so you have good a point about EQ.)

If you play an E and B on guitar, and put the sum through an amp, you get a power chord. But if you put an E through an amp and put a B through an amp, and then sum the two amp'd signals, you don't get a power chord. Same deal with nonlinear FX on the master bus.

Quote:
Sure, by all means strap that stuff across the 2-buss in mix if it floats your boat, but why mess around with frequency and harmonics that affect relative balance after you've mixed the song?
You have the option to put them on your master before you start mixing. Then you mix through the master FX.

Last edited by TheFlavor; 02-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.
TheFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #51
citizenkeith

Quote:
It's also worth remembering that there is no such thing as a 'mastering' plugin.
Somebody better tell Brainworx!

http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_digital_v2
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #52
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Hehe - that's just marketing Well... my point is that plugins marketed as 'mastering' plugins can be usually broken down into dynamics, eq, mid/side control etc. etc. Once you know what these things are you can master using separate 'mixing' plugins - which will allow much more flexibility as you can control where they are in the signal chain or swap out different comps, different eq's etc. All the mastering plugins I've ever used have usually got parts I do like and parts I don't so I would always end with different plugins doing different jobs anyway.

Last edited by bladerunner; 02-13-2015 at 08:42 AM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #53
citizenkeith

Quote:
Hehe - that's just marketing Well... my point is that plugins marketed as 'mastering' plugins can be usually broken down into dynamics, eq, mid/side control etc. etc. Once you know what these things are you can master using separate 'mixing' plugins - which will allow much more flexibility as you can control where they are in the single chain or swap out different comps, different eq's etc. All the mastering plugins I've ever used have usually got parts I do like and parts I don't so I would always end with different plugins doing different jobs anyway.

I know it's marketing, I was just giving you some good-natured crap, hence the

I will say that Brainworx did a great job of organizing all the controls needed. I think it's a great tool for those getting their feet wet in mastering. Once you understand what you're doing, you can all my that knowledge to using other plugins.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #54
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I know it's marketing, I was just giving you some good-natured crap, hence the
No worries

Another reason I'm not keen on those type of all in one plugins is probably to do with the way I work. I like to have different plugins doing different jobs so I can just quickly bypass a plugin to A/B it's effect. For instance I will often have one eq cutting and one boosting rather than doing it all in one plugin. This means I can just hit the bypass button rather than having to go into the interface and start bypassing individual bands. I like as simple an interface as possible too - that brainworx one is very cluttered and headache inducing for me!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #55
citizenkeith

Well for those who might like Brainworx Digital, it's on sale today for $100.
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/plugin-...100-each-28978
Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #56
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:

^^^^ that.

that is what I think. if you use heavy weapons in the mastering chain I would say, that this is a sign of a bad mix. why should I want to change everything what I have mixed? double work: I mix and then I work as long on the mastering as on the mix?

mix it right, then the mastering is done with a light compressor, maybe a very light eq and a (any) brickwall limiter. if this isnt enough, go back to the mix.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #57
Angrycolon

[QUOTE=tgraph;1477216]http://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/

3 good sites for free high quality plug ins that work well in mastering, imo

I downloaded the freeware eq and compressor from Tokyo Dawn Labs into a Macbook Pro. But when I went to install, it asked for permission to "make changes to my computer. Is this normal? I don't recall seeing this prompt with other purchased downloads. (Yea, I'm paranoid of malware.) Anybody else getting the system change warning at the install of TDL products in iOS? I am dieing to try out these plug-ins.
Angrycolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #58
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrycolon View Post

I downloaded the freeware eq and compressor from Tokyo Dawn Labs into a Macbook Pro. But when I went to install, it asked for permission to "make changes to my computer. Is this normal? I don't recall seeing this prompt with other purchased downloads. (Yea, I'm paranoid of malware.) Anybody else getting the system change warning at the install of TDL products in iOS? I am dieing to try out these plug-ins.
That's normal on mine.

I installed them ages ago and my Mac hasn't imploded yet
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:08 AM   #59
Angrycolon

I'm a little behind the times here with both DAW recording and switching over from PC to Mac. I just switched from stone and chisel to pencils too. Cool deal then. I'll install today. Thanks for the confirmation ....and moral support.
Angrycolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #60
Twangothan

I use Ozone which I really like mind you I bought it when it was a lot cheaper. I am not sure there's anything in it you couldn't do with the standard plugs which come with Reaper to be honest.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #61
Plazma

Terry West's MHorse P3 - brilliant mastering plugin, and free.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1719.
Plazma is offline   Reply With Quote