Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #41
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Why isn't the install working correctly?
Ok I think I figured out the problem. Due to a limitation with the way SWS Cycle Actions get their Command ID, if there are other Cycle Actions present, the toolbar will import the actions out of order. I had exported the toolbar from my heavily customized config, which had many other CA's. I've uploaded a new version of the toolbar file from a clean, portable installation with my custom actions being the first 17 in the CA Editor. It should work fine for anyone who doesn't have any Cycle Actions already.

2. Snapshots work on the whole fx chain; they don't just work on one plugin at a time. But if you only edited one plugin from your chain, what you ask will effectively be the case.

Btw, is your avatar from The Invisibles? Awesome comic.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-20-2016 at 08:24 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #42
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ok I think I figured out the problem. Due to a limitation with the way SWS Cycle Actions get their Command ID, if there are other Cycle Actions present, the toolbar will import the actions out of order. I had exported the toolbar from my heavily customized config, which had many other CA's. I've uploaded a new version of the toolbar file from a clean, portable installation with my custom actions being the first 17 in the CA Editor. It should work fine for anyone who doesn't have any Cycle Actions already.
Ah makes sense. Yeah I've been using Reaper for under a month, so not much customization to that level of complexity yet.

Quote:
2. Snapshots work on the whole fx chain; they don't just work on one plugin at a time. But if you only edited one plugin from your chain, what you ask will effectively be the case.
Naturally! This is a great tool, thanks!

Quote:
Btw, is your avatar from The Invisibles? Awesome comic.
I'll have to check it out. That's Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #43
MonkeyBars

I've been experimeting with this toolbar, but I've run into an issue.

When flipping back and forth between presets, it of course helps to be able to change a setting on one and re-save it. I would assume from the UI that that would be achieved by either clicking save again, or clicking save twice (deactivating then reactivating the letter slot).

Unfortunately neither of these seems to work. Either the toolbar is not able to re-save letter slots without a full reset, or I'm doing it wrong.

Edit: I see this is possible from the snapshots subwindow, which is cool. But it would be great to do it directly from the toolbar.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #44
foxAsteria

Default Please Re-Import the New Cycle Actions File (v2 had a problem, sorry)

Yea, it should re-save when you double click the button (literally all the reset button does is toggle the button states back off, for visual reference). But you're right, it's not working for me either. So bizarre! Need to look into this...

EDIT: OK I think I found a solution and replaced the original file: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/26802/Fx%20...%20Actions.INI
Please delete the old custom actions and import them again from the updated file, thanks.
Not sure how I never noticed that (as I'm using it all the time!), but thanks for pointing it out and let me know if you have further issues.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-23-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #45
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Please delete the old custom actions and import them again from the updated file, thanks.
Not sure how I never noticed that (as I'm using it all the time!), but thanks for pointing it out and let me know if you have further issues.
Thank you so much for your effort.

Unfortunately, after deleting the previous cycle actions, importing the new INI file did nothing – no cycle actions are listed in the window.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #46
foxAsteria

Well I just dl'ed and imported again and it's working, so I'm guessing you have something typed into the filter for the CA Editor? Or try downloading it again and open in a text editor to ensure that it's a valid file. Also, don't forget to hit 'Apply.'

Should look like:

[Main_Cyclactions]
; Do not tweak by hand! Use the Cycle Action editor instead
Action1="$Cycle: Fx (Open/Close)|IF NOT|41686|41686|40291|ELSE|41686|_S&M_WNCLS4|_S&M_ WNCLS5|ENDIF|"
Action2="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Bypass All Fx (and Sends)|_SWS_MUTESENDS|!|_SWS_UNMUTESENDS|"
Action3="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Fx Chain Copy|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D1|_S&M_COPYFXCHAIN5|"
Action4="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Fx Chain Cut|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D2|_S&M_COPYFXCHAIN6|"
Action5="Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Fx Chain Paste|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D3|_S&M_CLRFXCHAIN3|_S&M_COPYF XCHAIN10|"
Action6="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Load A|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|ENDIF|_SWSSN APSHOT_GET1|"
Action7="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Load B|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|ENDIF|_SWSSN APSHOT_GET2|"
Action8="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Load C|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B3|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B3|ENDIF|_SWSSN APSHOT_GET3|"
Action9="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Load D|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B4|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B4|ENDIF|_SWSSN APSHOT_GET4|"
Action10="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Load E|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B5|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B5|ENDIF|_SWSSN APSHOT_GET5|"
Action11="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Save A|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL1|40505|IF NOR|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPS HOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|_SWSSNAPSHOT_MIXMODE|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|ENDIF|IF|_S& M_DUMMY_TGL1|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SAVE1|ENDIF|"
Action12="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Save B|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL2|40505|IF NOR|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPS HOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|_SWSSNAPSHOT_MIXMODE|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|ENDIF|IF|_S& M_DUMMY_TGL2|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SAVE2|ENDIF|"
Action13="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Save C|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL3|40505|IF NOR|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPS HOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|_SWSSNAPSHOT_MIXMODE|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B3|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B3|ENDIF|IF|_S& M_DUMMY_TGL3|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SAVE3|ENDIF|"
Action14="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Save D|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL4|40505|IF NOR|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPS HOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|_SWSSNAPSHOT_MIXMODE|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B4|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B4|ENDIF|IF|_S& M_DUMMY_TGL4|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SAVE4|ENDIF|"
Action15="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshot Save E|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL5|40505|IF NOR|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPS HOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|_SWSSNAPSHOT_MIXMODE|IF NOT|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B5|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B5|ENDIF|IF|_S& M_DUMMY_TGL5|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SAVE5|ENDIF|"
Action16="$Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshots MODE SWITCH|IF NOT|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|ENDIF|IF|_SWSS NAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|ENDIF|!|IF|_S &M_DUMMY_TGL6|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|ENDIF|IF NOT|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|ENDI F|"
Action17="Cycle: Fx Compare Toolbar: Snapshots RESET|IF|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B1|ENDIF|I F|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B2|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_ EXCL_TGL_B3|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B3|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_EXCL_TG L_B4|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B4|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_B5|_S &M_EXCL_TGL_B5|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D1|_S&M_EXCL _TGL_D1|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D2|_S&M_EXCL_TGL_D2 |ENDIF|IF|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL1|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL1|ENDIF|IF |_S&M_DUMMY_TGL2|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL2|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_DUM MY_TGL3|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL3|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL4|_ S&M_DUMMY_TGL4|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL5|_S&M_DUMMY _TGL5|ENDIF|IF|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|_S&M_DUMMY_TGL6|END IF|IF NOT|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|_SWSSNAPSHOT_SELONLY|ENDI F|_SWSSNAPSHOT_CLEARFILT|"
Nb_Actions=17
Version=3

In fact, if you have trouble with the file, just paste all that into a text file and name it with the .ini extension.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #47
MonkeyBars

Haha thanks for that. I downloaded directly from the link you sent instead of going to the link and saving the download link as the ini file, so I've got HTML here, will report back
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #48
foxAsteria

Well the links don't need to be named or have extensions added and you def shouldn't have any HTML. Sorry you're having troubles with it...
Old 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #49
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Well the links don't need to be named or have extensions added and you def shouldn't have any HTML. Sorry you're having troubles with it...
I've got the right file now, I just thought you posted a direct link to the file, but actually it was a link to the download page.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #50
MonkeyBars

Okay I got the new cycle actions in – reimporting the menu worked to assign the actions – but now the buttons don't seem to be working right at all. I am confused by the UI as it doesn't do what I expect. My main question is, what does it mean when a save icon is light, and what's it mean when it's dark?

In any case, the functionality is completely broken for me. I checked that the buttons have the right actions bound to them, but C, D, and E don't save. Not sure what's going on but here is a Licecap:

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 03-24-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #51
foxAsteria

thanks again for you patience, persistence and being my guinea pig.

upload licecaps here: https://stash.reaper.fm/ and then use the last piece of code to embed.

un-lighting the save button doesn't do anything. it's just a visual indication that you can use it again. reset doesn't actually do anything either. the same states will be there to load unless you save over them.

it seems i didn't test this enough with the new version. for some reason the dummy toggles were working opposite the way i would have expected, so i changed all the IF NOT's to IF's. Seems ok now...*fingers crossed*

Replaced the file on the Stash. Use any of the above links to re-download. Will be testing more tonite to make sure things are ok...but I think we're good this time.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-24-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #52
MonkeyBars

Okay, now it makes sense! It works, thank you very much PF.

So this toolbar allows five global FX chain presets.

What if I want more? Five per track, for example? Is there a way to achieve that?

Otoh, could there be a micro version just for a single FX plugin?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #53
foxAsteria

You can have as many slots as you like. Just copy my Cycle Actions and increment the exclusive toggles, the dummy toggles and the Snapshot slot numbers (study them and you will easily see the pattern). Skip dummy toggle 6 though, as that's used for the full mix toggle.

You will need open the S&M.ini in the Reaper Resources folder and edit the following lines so that you have enough exclusive and dummy toggles for your needs:

S&M_EXCL_TGL_B=5
S&M_DUMMY_TGL=12

Well probably you will only need to add more exclusive 'B' toggles unless you really need more than 12 slots...

Unfortunately there is no way currently to have the toolbar store many snapshots for each and every track. You can keep track of which slots you used for which track, but I think that would be hard to remember. I intended the toolbar as a quick, on the fly comparison tool, so as not to be bogged down by many choices for every track, although sometimes I think that would be nice. It's meant to help you decide if you've improved the sound through your tweaking and then move on.

Snapshots work either on track selection or project-wide (that's why I made the full mix toggle), so no way to isolate them on a per-plugin basis. Use presets for that.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #54
MonkeyBars

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Great toolbar!