Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
bitterkitten
Human being with feelings

Default autosave maximum

It would be nice to be able to tell Reaper, in addition to how frequently project backups are created, that when X # of backups has been reached, it will write over or eliminate the older ones.

That's it!

(I am pretty sure there's one or two other FR's regarding maintaining potential project subfolder neatness and where autosaves should go, but I don't think they mention this).

Thanks!
bitterkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
nofish

+1 please
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
pw3

+1 here also
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
bluzkat

+1

Definitely need this... please!?!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
bitterkitten

I am assuming the upvotes mean this is not an option currently in Reaper that I am missing. ; )
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
bitterkitten

yay 4.1! But this would still be nice. Unless it's there now and I'm missing it. : )
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
daxliniere

Thanks BitterKitten, but have you created an FR in the tracker for this?
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Coachz

Great idea.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Thanks BitterKitten, but have you created an FR in the tracker for this?
how do you do that?
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
bitterkitten

oh, that's with the bug reports. Shoot. Guess I should do that. I figured that if enough +'s appeared here FR threads somehow got magicked over there. Will attempt now..
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
bitterkitten

done. I think this is right - http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3646
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkitten View Post
...threads somehow got magicked over there.
hehe

Voted, Cheers BK!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
nofish

thanks bitterkitten for putting it up

voted
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
gofer
-blänk-

Default transfer from tracker IID #3646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep
bump, i just deleted 2 gigs of baks on a project i'm working on. (tend to leave reaper open) seems like it wouldn't be that complicated of a thing to integrate. but really, without it, having backups are not useless, but a real pain becuase they add more house cleaning, which is really the last thing i want to get from reaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkitten
If this was never implemented, clearly we'd all live. It would just be a nice thing to have. Tidiness is good, and I'm certain our devs are always considering ways to keep all our files in order.

Why more folks haven't voted for this (yet) I dunno.
Quote:
ya, it's probably more complicated than you'd think, as i find programming tends to be. plus, they're doing other shit.

idk why there are not more votes either. maybe not many people use backups. but for me, not losing something i did i really like, is high up on my list of priorities. or maybe no one else gets crashes, or no one saw the thread, idk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk
I would vote for this but I think you should change the feature description to delete the oldest autosaves from the project that's open only. This way you won't end up deleting all of your autosaves from all your other projects whilst working on another.

i.e. "Number of recent autosaves to keep = [ 25 ] per project"

BTW this suggestion is only for users (like me =) who save all their autosaves into one folder and not to project specific folders! I save in one folder so that I can clean it out periodically.
Quote:
i save in project specific folders, and i want this. but ya, it would be for every project.

so you go into settings and you choose max autosaves per project = 5; and then when you get to your fifth autosave, it deletes the oldest, for that project.

i didn't know you could save them all in the same folder. i could see how you might want that for cleaning purposes, but also, doing a quick search bak in windows searching your reaper projects folder will serve the same purpose.
but for me, i find it best to keep all the saves in the project directory, it's cleaner. and if this was implemented you wouldn't have that house cleaning problem.

the ability to save all your baks in a given folder would make creating this option a little more difficult i think. reaper couldn't just delete the oldest bak, but would need to delete the oldest project specific bak, which may be easy to do, and may not. idk.
Quote:
I meant for it to be per project. But then, I'd never store all my baks for every project I ever make in the same folder... that seems like trouble. Diff'rent strokes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk
Cool. I'm voting whatever way this is implemented (common folder/seperate folder - I don't mind!) because this really needs to be done.

I don't see why this hasn't been flagged before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere
Come on, let's get this happening!

I found over 800Mb of backup files in the project directory of one song!!!
Quote:
I am unsure if a bump is considered "ok" 'round these parts, but here goes. Bump.
abcdefghij
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Seventh

Yes please! It's a real pain in the ass to deal with the unnecessary backup files.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
Marah Mag

I just voted for this FR... I saw it in Sound asleep's sig in another thread.

I have not read this entire thread, so maybe this has already been said...

I would like to have an optional per-project override of the global default autosave and bak settings. And the related undo settings.

I have my preferences set to backup every 2 minutes and to always save the undo.

But not all projects need that.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #17
square2

plus 1 here too!
square2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #18
CaptainHook

Yes, and like audio files i would like to be able to store them in their own folder within EACH project folder, rather than a global one (like PT does). Is that possible at the moment?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #19
Coachz

Already does if you set it up in project settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Yes, and like audio files i would like to be able to store them in their own folder within EACH project folder, rather than a global one (like PT does). Is that possible at the moment?

Coachz Repo
Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #20
Marah Mag

it doesn't (seem to) let you specify the folder. But there's an option to create baks (and undos) in the project folder and to also save them in a specified other folder. So there is a local/global split there. But even that local option is global.

I currently keep a folder called RPP-BAK at a pretty high level in my structure so it's easy to get to and that's my global for baks and undos.

I do sometimes switch on the option to also save baks in the project folder. It's useful, say, if you're crashing frequently and recovering baks and get tired of switching folders.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Coachz

My mistake, i was thinking audio files.

Coachz Repo
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
tarnationsauce2

Holy smokes!
I didn't know that Reaper wasn't deleting old backup files. My BAK folder was huuuuuge, full of old crap that's already done. LOL now I have a few gigs of free space. Shows how often I use a backup file (i.e. never) haha.
Yeah this "FR" seems more line a necessity than a "feature". Or at the very least Reaper should inform the user that making BAK files means we have to remove old ones ourselves.
tarnationsauce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 AM   #23
daxliniere

AAARRGGHHH!! Another project... 1.4Gb of backups :/
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #24
andysarchus

Pretty please?
andysarchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Coachz

yes, Make it so !

Coachz Repo
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
buoya

there must be a better way to do this, the whole DAW hangs every time it autosaves for me + the amount of backup files is pretty unmanagable and messy. I can live with it for the time though because overall reaper is massive amounts of win.
buoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoya View Post
there must be a better way to do this, the whole DAW hangs every time it autosaves for me + the amount of backup files is pretty unmanagable and messy.
I have this problem with the temporary GUI lock up (and spinning ball) too.

OSX 10.6.8
More info here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...346#post846346
Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
flowheimer

Default Alternative

I don't care how many backup files there are as long as they're not visually clogging up the project's root folder.
Reaper should allow setting the backup folder to a relative path, for example, ./backups, thereby tucking all automatically-generated session files out of sight and making our clerical duties a little simpler.

This is already possible for audio files. I'm no programmer but it doesn't seem like a difficult feature to implement. I'm sure they'll get to it.

fH
Old 11-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowheimer View Post
I don't care how many backup files there are as long as they're not visually clogging up the project's root folder.
What's worth mentioning here... or making explicit... if that hasn't already been done... is that the visual clutter... which is also what I find most annoying... is that (at least on Windows) the clutter files are only visible when you access the project folder using Explorer. If your projects are accessed and navigated using Reaper's File Open and Save dialogs, then by default it only shows *.RPP files, which don''t accumulate automatically.)

In fact, I rarely open files from Reaper's Open dialog, I typically have an Explorer window open to the project folder, or to some other relevant folder from which I'll nav to the project folder if necessary. App file dialogs are usually pretty wack (historically speaking; Reaper's are not bad actually, at least they incorporate the new Windows 7 Explorer features.)

For me, it's really the visual clutter that's at issue, not the disk space. At this point I've pretty much resigned myself to massively redundant disk usage.

When it comes to disk space, anything under a gigabyte is bellybutton lint.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowheimer View Post
Reaper should allow setting the backup folder to a relative path, for example, ./backups, thereby tucking all automatically-generated session files out of sight and making our clerical duties a little simpler.

This is already possible for audio files. I'm no programmer but it doesn't seem like a difficult feature to implement. I'm sure they'll get to it.

fH
to me, there is visual clutter which is sometimes annoying, and then there is wasting a couple of gigs every project for backups. my DAW is always on. i usually leave Reaper on as well in whatever project i'm working on, or even for anything else i use reaper for, like messing around, just hosting instruments, whatever. and whenever i do that, my computer is constantly saving pointless backups and wasting my hard drive space. my hard drive space is finite. i don't want to be concerned with it for backups. i don't wanna have tons of wasted space in backups. i use enough space for backups i need. every project i have needs to be saved twice, so every backup is twice as large.

i don't care how much space my media items take, but they sometimes take alot, and that's what i want to eat up all my hard drive. not pointless backups i'll never use.

i might as well just have my hard drive slowly filling with nonsense. it's like a virus slowly eating away at my hard drive.

i get projects with gigs of backups. if i back it up we could be looking at 4 or 5 gigs of backups per project. not too bad, but then 10 projects is 50 gigs of nothing. and that's alot of valuable real estate that could be my music instead. and everytime i enter a project it accumulates even more. and the clutter.

i like all my stuff to be clean and quick to access, and all my hardrive filled with stuff i want and/or need.

idk it just seems to me a necessary part of the backups feature. i'd even rather it only save one backup and have it rewrite the exact name filename every time without prompting.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #31
Marah Mag

wrt to manual saving....

the undo list should indicate when projects are user saved.

The kind of housekeeping stuff being discussed here is of the same general kind as in threads about file and folder paths.

In both cases what's being asked for is greater granularity in project management options.

Reaper is actually unusually strong there. That raises expectations.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
Marah Mag

And then there's this.

I call myself a compulsive saver. And I am.

But Reaper just crashed on me, at 9:49pm. It just vanished from the screen (for reasons unimportant here.)

My project folder is already opened, sorted by date in descending, my last save at the top. And there it is, timestamped 9:25pm.

hahaha.

So I go to my rpp-bak folder (which by itself is larger than what not TOO long ago was a large hard drive) and there, after it finishes sorting all the stuff in there (which takes a second or 2), sitting at the top, are an rpp-bak & rpp-bak-UNDO pair timestamped 9:48pm.

Isn't that nice?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #33
Coachz

possibly find why it's crashing? I rarely crash so with lots of crashing I can see the reason for obsessive saving.

Coachz Repo
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #34
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
possibly find why it's crashing? I rarely crash so with lots of crashing I can see the reason for obsessive saving.
there are many reasons things can crash, i can't spend all day trouble shooting my DAW, sending error reports, and the such. reaper does crash. maybe it's a 32 bit thing with 64 bit plugs, maybe it's redrawing 64 bit plugs to be in one window rather than appear in the taskbar, maybe it's this or it's that. maybe some of us, don't have setups that have lots of crashing.

me, i get the odd crash here and there. maybe it's other programs that might crash windows, idk. but i don't want my DAW to dictate how i do things really. and what i really don't want is to lose a moment of inspiration when my DAW crashes. even if it crashes only once i don't want to lose stuff i have done. the basics is the most important thing when you are doing something important. stability, and correctedness, like before my reaper didn't snap correctly and this made a mess. this is the worst. other features and bells and whistles are nice, being able to customize the way my DAW looks to a higher degree is nice. but the basics need to be there. for me, backups is one of those basics.

i need stability, i need backups for when crashes occur and they will no matter what, particularly if you're on pc, mac may potentially be safer that way, and i need things to work correctly as i expect, not so further down the road i realize that what i thought i had done, what i was depending on my DAW to do for me, did not occur properly, and i find i have to redo stuff.

in music sometimes there is a moment, and that moment needs to be captured, and that exact moment will never come again exactly, and if i lose that, i'm pissed. shit like that will make me drop the DAW altogether and find something that's more dependable, even if i can't customize it how i want, and have to learn another software.

and reaper has brought me real close to that line quite a few times. real close. and i'm currently bordering that line right now. the fact i have a lot of stuff in reaper, and am comfortable with it, and that i like how it does things, and how i've configured it to do things is strong. ya, it can't do some stuff very well, not so bad of a thing. but if it let's me down with the basics, that's just terrible. the foundation needs to be strong. making sure your stuff is safe, backed up without filling up your hard drive drive like crazy, to me fits in that category.

that's why it's in my sig. it's not a feature i use everyday really (well, it sort of is because i'm filling hard drive everyday, and even as i speak actually) but it's something that needs to be correct imo.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #35
buoya

would also like to add that reaper not only needs better autosaving/recovery features it needs to have them when you have an untitled project.

Obviously if you are recording/mixing a band you are always going to have the project named and saved from the outset. If you are making things from scratch you often won't save it untill you feel its going somewhere. I have now had two crashes after an hour of being locked into something that I hadn't yet saved with no chance of recovery which is incredibly frustrating. Again Ableton never has this problem as even with unsaved project it is keeping undo/project data constantly so if you do crash it will load up to pretty much where you were previously. This is a big issue imo for feeling comfortable working with this DAW.
buoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #36
Marah Mag

Backups of unsaved projects need not be an issue if you are doing automatic backups to a non-project folder.

This cap is from my RPP-BAK folder. I have Reaper set to do an auto bak to a specified folder every 1 or 2 minutes, and it does so, even on unsaved and untitled projects. (As far as I can tell, R doesn't make an auto bak if there have been no edits made to the project since the last time an auto bak was taken, which accounts for the time gaps between each bak file, even though the interval set in prefs is shorter than those gaps.)

Last edited by Marah Mag; 11-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #37
Sound asleep

i think you can set a default folder where audio is saved when using a non saved file, and maybe backups would go there, if not, then this would be something i would add to the backup features request for sure.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #38
gofer
-blänk-

Default Transfer from tracker IID#3646

Transferred from tracker IID#3646:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Sorry, new around these parts.. Is it kosher to append a request related to another?

If so, i would request in addition to autosave maximum that an option to define a folder relative to the project folder be possible for backups. Much like you can with audio files (and how PT handles backups). Keeps the project folder tidy and everything related to it inside. Global backup folder for all projects doesn't appeal to my workflow, neither does storing all of them alongside the main project file making it hard to locate your actual project file! :P

I've voted for this anyway!
Quote:
I think that people try to parse out feature requests as much as they can (although I've seen several that are a bunch that appear to be bundled together). I suspect if the devs implement this, they will have already been thinking about folder structure, as a number of people have mentioned various ways they'd like files to be tidied up. : )
Quote:
Yes, agreed.
Quote:
Zipping .rpp-bak files seems to make them considerably smaller too. This would be a nice feature.
Quote:
ReaBump
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis
Very good idea

Learn more about the Feature Request tracker here
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #39
Marah Mag

As I probably mentioned above, I have Reaper do a backup every minute.

It seems excessive but in fact I'm regularly happy & relieved that I have it set that way. These are only created when a project is unsaved.

Since January 1, my bak folder has accumulated 5614 pairs of .rpp-bak and .rpp-bak-UNDO files.

I know this cos every so often I go in there and get rid of the UNDO files, letting the basic rpp-baks be.

The batch I just zapped came to 165 gb.

Post this, the folder of basic baks, which go back to late September, has just under 23,100 items occupying about 75 Gb.

Just some numbers.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #40
daxliniere

I know. It's crazy this hasn't been addressed yet.
Not sure how it keeps falling through the cracks. :/