Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v6.16rc4 - November 13 2020

v6.16rc4 - November 13 2020

* Includes branch: VST failed plug-in list/rescanning
* Includes branch: separate process VST/VST3 scanning
* Includes feature branch: media explorer and metadata improvements
+ Anticipative FX: fix excessive buffering when feedback loop w/ PDC present but feedback is disabled
+ Media explorer: support dragging files into folders in file list
# Metadata: fix reading some metadata fields

This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post

+ Anticipative FX: fix excessive buffering when feedback loop w/ PDC present but feedback is disabled
Could you guys explain this one? With feedback disabled does it not just prevent you from even creating a feedback loop?
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

+ Media explorer: support dragging files into folders in file list

Awesome guys thanks!
Old 11-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Breeder

Is there a possibility to allow showing FX chain files in media explorer when "show all files" is off? I know, I know, FR...but while you're doing media explorer I guess it's ok to mention
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
tpunk

I want to move to a folder displayed in the tree of Media Explorer like Windows Explorer.
Is it possible to delete a file from the original folder at the same time as copying?
Also, there are times when you want to make the tree display a little bigger.
tpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
akademie

Devs, please,
as there is a lot of work put into Media Explorer in last pre-releases, can you look at the bug described in the Bug report here?

Media Explorer bug- MP3 stereo files play MONO via selected track if set to 4 & up ch
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=242507
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:17 AM   #7
Reaktor:[Dave]

Great to see the metadata branch being released, soon. These improvements are so useful.

I'm not sure how the "Custom tag" column in the Media Explorer is supposed to be used. All my files with custom tags show up empty at that column.

There is an issue with the new plugin scanning behavior. With v6.15, scanning the RealGuitar.vst3 while the plugin isn't registered will bring up the registration dialogue. With v6.16rc4, this dialogue doesn't show up so my only option is to cancel that particular plugin, making it unavailable in Reaper's plugin list. This seems like a very serious regression.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Reflected

melodyne vst3 suddenly removed from my fx list
I tried rescaning, reaper finds it but it still won't show up in the fx list.
it was working few days ago.
it's still working in other programs tho.

what could be the reason?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
ovnis

Quote:
I'm not sure how the "Custom tag" column in the Media Explorer is supposed to be used. All my files with custom tags show up empty at that column.
Me too! All my custom tags have vanished.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Previously, you could only enter custom tags in databases, and you couldn't write the tag into the file. Now you can enter a custom tag (or any metadata field) for any file whether in a database or not, and you can also write the tag into the file.

Do you have a file in a database for which a custom tag used to be displayed in the media explorer, but now it isn't? If so, the best way to figure out what's up is if you can share the relevant lines out of the xx.ReaperFileList file, if possible.

Last edited by schwa; 11-14-2020 at 08:24 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #11
ovnis

I have a gigantic ^^ data base (61 MO). When I start "scan database for new files", all custom tags (inside data base) disappear! v6.16rc4

"Now you can enter a custom tag (or any metadata field) for any file whether in a database or not"
So, I can enter a custom tag inside the audio file?
Old 11-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #12
ovnis

Before the new files scan:

FILE "V:\MAO\Samples\Big Fish Audio\Celtic Instruments\Samples\Marc Short 75u.wav" 278408 0 1373759364
DATA u:Ethnic

After:

FILE "V:\MAO\Samples\Big Fish Audio\Celtic Instruments\Samples\Marc Short 75u.wav" 278408 0 1373759364 0
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

OK thanks, that is a bug, fixed for the next build.

In 6.15 and before, you can enter metadata in the media explorer only for files that are stored in REAPER databases that you created on your local machine. The metadata is stored persistently along with your other REAPER user data, but can't be embedded in the file.

In 6.16, you can enter metadata in the media explorer for any file, whether it's in a REAPER database or not. The metadata will be stored persistently along with your other REAPER user data, and you can choose to write the metadata permanently into the media file.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
ovnis

OK. Thank you for that clarification.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Devs, please,
as there is a lot of work put into Media Explorer in last pre-releases, can you look at the bug described in the Bug report here?

Media Explorer bug- MP3 stereo files play MONO via selected track if set to 4 & up ch
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=242507
I can confirm this on mac.
Play/cue from MX through selected track that has multi-channel,

Collapsed stereo:
MP3 (LAME)
RX2

Preserved stereo:
M4A (AAC)
WAV
AIFF

Haven't checked more formats.
https://i.ibb.co/Qvy2sVT/overview.jpg

also,
MP4 and QT video sound are not playable from MX through selected track, but can still route out. I'm thinking this could be a small bug.

– it's great that the upgraded Media Explorer along with the Video Window allows for instant preview of Mp4 / QT video (has worked flawlessly since the first revision . It would also be cool if embedded cover art could be displayed in the same way.

Last edited by PhelixK; 11-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
WyattRice

Thanks for all the media explorer stuff.
I know I'm not supposed to request here, but I wasn't available during all the dev builds to discuss.

One that I would use is when "Insert in selected media items" is to
add an action "Insert as new take and move to source preferred position (BWF)"
Anyway, thanks!
Wyatt
Old 11-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #17
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Previously, you could only enter custom tags in databases, and you couldn't write the tag into the file. Now you can enter a custom tag (or any metadata field) for any file whether in a database or not, and you can also write the tag into the file.

Do you have a file in a database for which a custom tag used to be displayed in the media explorer, but now it isn't? If so, the best way to figure out what's up is if you can share the relevant lines out of the xx.ReaperFileList file, if possible.
So the custom tag is a single custom tag by Reaper that can be embedded into the file, now? Meaning I won't be able to see custom tags I added to the file myself like "MICROPHONE" or "LOCATION"?
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
mabian

I'm editing a CC lane envelope (Hold/sustain pedal, CC 64).
Right-clicking on a node, while the cursor is a crosshair, not only deletes the node (unwanted, I'd like the node context menu pop up), but I cannot find how to check and customize this behavior: right-click mode is not available in MIDI editor CC contexts for anything regarding CC lane.
Is that expected?

Windows 10x64, REAPER 6.16rc4 x64.

EDIT: found - "right-click delete CC event" option at the bottom of the editor mouse modifier panel. Damn...

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
deeb

i just reminded, is it possible to write a custom tag by script to the selected file(s) in ME?
Old 11-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
So the custom tag is a single custom tag by Reaper that can be embedded into the file, now? Meaning I won't be able to see custom tags I added to the file myself like "MICROPHONE" or "LOCATION"?
You should be able to see any file metadata in the media source properties dialog. The only metadata visible and editable in the media explorer are the 10 or so specified columns including a special reaper-specific tag. If you write the media explorer metadata back into the file, each field will be written in every supported metadata format for that file type.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #21
vicnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I had related weird issues for a long time.
Before (maybe around Feb 2020) I cannot create two groups as FX and MusicMaster, if I move mastering chain to MusicMaster. CPU load when above 100%. I've created a bug report at that time and nothing happened.
So I sticked to using Mastering Chain on Master Bus only.

Once read the changelog. I tried to move the Mastering Chain back to MusicMaster Group channel, but I got different result:
Under 44.1kHz buffer = 1024 samples, Windows 10 x64.
As gif shown, the CPU hog Mu(8xOS) [you could replace it with any CPU hungry VST2, it all the same] use very little CPU on "Music Master Bus"
But if I copy the Mu to "Master Bus", RT CPU spikes to 80~90% and playback stutters beyond acceptable with one more Mu cloned.

Is there a way to make my "MusicMaster" and "Reaper Master Bus" fx chain exchangeable (CPU-load wise) if I want more complex mastering routes. Said 3 to 4 parallel mastering compressors receiving the same 2bus like Bob Horn does.
vicnest is offline   Reply With Quote