Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
vocalnick
Human being with feelings

Default SubProjects + Kontakt crashing on import (FIXED)

I’m getting a total Reaper crash when I drag RPPs containing Kontakt instruments into a project in order to turn them into SubProjects.

The imported RPPs open up in a new tab as they should, start rendering the PROX file, and the crash seems to occur somewhere after that (the PROX file is rendered successfully)

I’ve noted the following patterns:

- Projects which already have RPP-PROX files are fine. It’s only that first render on a non-PROXed RPP that will crash.

- A couple of test projects with only audio material in them (no VSTis) seemed to work fine.

- I did another test with a couple of other Non-Kontakt VSTis and they seem to work OK as well.

- Projects with Kontakt instances will ALWAYS crash. It’s very repeatable.

- Once the RPP-PROX is generated and it’s crashed, I can re-open and drag the RPP in again and it works fine.

- Once the Kontakt-containing SubProjects are in the master project I can open, modify, close & re-render them without a crash - it's only that first import & initial render that causes the issue.

All the info requested in the sticky is below, but happy to provide any additional logs etc. that may be helpful

OSX 10.11.1 on a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15"
Reaper 5.16 (64) (latest at time of report)
Kontakt 5.4.3.307 (latest at time of report)

Crashed thread 0

Code:
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x00007fff92f09e69 objc_msgSend + 41
1   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff908ced02 _CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 50
2   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cda7ae0 NSCoreDragReceiveMessageProc + 2400
3   com.apple.HIServices          	0x00007fff8dabee4a DoMultipartDropMessage + 328
4   com.apple.HIServices          	0x00007fff8dabeb54 DoDropMessage + 41
5   com.apple.HIServices          	0x00007fff8dabeb25 SendDropMessage + 80
6   com.apple.HIServices          	0x00007fff8dabd7f3 DragInApplication + 505
7   com.apple.HIServices          	0x00007fff8dabc611 CoreDragStartDragging + 535
8   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cda3fdd -[NSCoreDragManager _dragUntilMouseUp:accepted:] + 1010
9   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cda11cb -[NSCoreDragManager dragImage:fromWindow:at:offset:event:pasteboard:source:slideBack:] + 1212
10  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cda0cfd -[NSWindow(NSDrag) dragImage:at:offset:event:pasteboard:source:slideBack:] + 135
11  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000100472834 SWELL_InitiateDragDropOfFileList(HWND__*, RECT*, char const**, int, HGDIOBJ__*) + 596
12  reaper_explorer.dylib         	0x000000010c5bc404 OurOwnBrowser::dlgProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 1832
13  reaper_explorer.dylib         	0x000000010c5bf22f OurOwnBrowser::staticDlgProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 109
14  com.cockos.reaper             	0x00000001004708fc SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 364
15  com.cockos.reaper             	0x000000010046d66d -[REAPERSwell_hwnd onSwellMessage:p1:p2:] + 829
16  com.cockos.reaper             	0x000000010048dc6a SendMessage(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 90
17  com.cockos.reaper             	0x000000010047fe90 -[REAPERSwell_listview mouseDragged:] + 320
18  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8d2afb79 -[NSWindow _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 2108
19  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8ccf4b8d -[NSWindow sendEvent:] + 517
20  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cc74b27 -[NSApplication sendEvent:] + 2540
21  com.cockos.reaper             	0x00000001002f01f3 -[REAPERapp sendEvent:] + 547
22  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8cadbd9a -[NSApplication run] + 796
23  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff8caa4fbe NSApplicationMain + 1176
24  com.cockos.reaper             	0x00000001000119cc main + 28
25  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000100011994 start + 52
Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
vocalnick

Has anybody got any ideas on this?

I've been spruiking this feature from the rooftops for music-for-picture work (including a Sound on Sound magazine article coming up soon) but this is a bit of a showstopper...
Old 03-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #3
mschnell

AFAIK, creating using a subproject renders the appropriate tracks when appropriate.

Do other rendering actions with your Kontakt instruments work as expected ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
vocalnick

Heya, thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIK, creating using a subproject renders the appropriate tracks when appropriate.
Have you tried the specific scenario where you drag in an RPP that doesn't already have an associated PROX file?

Quote:
Do other rendering actions with your Kontakt instruments work as expected ?
Yup, all works as is should, except the above scenario, which crashes EVERY time.

If it's just me I'll be (relatively) pleased, because it's something I can fix
Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Edit: as a workaround, I've found that if Kontakt is loaded in another project, it'll prevent any subproject instances of Kontakt from crashing...

Edit: also adding an option as a workaround, which is "leave reaproxy project open after rendering", since it's the rapid closing of the reaproxy that causes an issue with Kontakt.

Edit: looks like we can also fix the bug!

Last edited by Justin; 03-18-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Edit: as a workaround, I've found that if Kontakt is loaded in another project, it'll prevent any subproject instances of Kontakt from crashing...

Edit: also adding an option as a workaround, which is "leave reaproxy project open after rendering", since it's the rapid closing of the reaproxy that causes an issue with Kontakt.

Edit: looks like we can also fix the bug!
Wonderful news about the fix, and in the meantime the workaround is pretty effective - I just have an empty Kontakt instance in my master project. It takes up no significant resources, and avoids the crash. Thank you

While I've got your attention on SubProjects, another little quibble. If you have "Copy imported media to project media directory" enabled, the RPP gets copied to the project folder, but the SubProject's media doesn't get copied. That's possibly more of a feature request than a bug report, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd drop it here.

Briefly, I want to be able to set up a library of music cues, which I can then drag copies of into projects and then modify without touching the originals.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalnick View Post
Wonderful news about the fix, and in the meantime the workaround is pretty effective - I just have an empty Kontakt instance in my master project. It takes up no significant resources, and avoids the crash. Thank you

While I've got your attention on SubProjects, another little quibble. If you have "Copy imported media to project media directory" enabled, the RPP gets copied to the project folder, but the SubProject's media doesn't get copied. That's possibly more of a feature request than a bug report, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd drop it here.

Briefly, I want to be able to set up a library of music cues, which I can then drag copies of into projects and then modify without touching the originals.
That would be great to have sorted.

Would love it Justin if you'd consider a "pass" on some of the subproject smaller issues that are still hanging around. There's a few things that happen that still make it not as smooth as it could be.

They are listed in the below thread (although not in any particular order yet).

No worries if not though, they are still awesome, just would be happy for a few fixes

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...81#post1617081

Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
but the SubProject's media doesn't get copied.
If they would get copied this would (potentially) take a huge amount of disk space and a lot of time copying. I Can't see that this would be desirable (as a default).

Quote:
When modifying the project, the media files are not modified, anyway, so I don't see your point.

-MKichael
Old 03-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
If they would get copied this would (potentially) take a huge amount of disk space and a lot of time copying. I Can't see that this would be desirable (as a default).
Disk space is cheap, and I'm a stickler for organisation - but yes, I'd suggest an option rather than a default

Quote:
When modifying the project, the media files are not modified, anyway, so I don't see your point.
Your'e right - that was possibly a poor choice of example on my part. My underlying concern is project management/organisation. For me it's ideal for all the project's media to be within that project's folder structure, rather than scattered around the drive.

I use relative recording paths, so new recorded media always goes to a subfolder of the project folder i.e. "Project Name/Audio". At is currently stands, if I import an RPP as a SubProject, the RPP is copied into the master project's "Audio" folder, but the media continues to reference the old location. If I then make any NEW recordings (or glues, or bounces) within the imported copy, it will record those to the "Audio" subfolder of the new location, so I'll have media in two disparate locations. This issue can compound too - if I copy the new modified RPP into another project as a SubProject and then make additional recordings, I now have media in three places... and so on.

It's probably not a common occurrence, but an option for "Copy imported media" to also apply to SubProjects dependencies would be nice.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 AM   #10
mschnell

I (additionally) would voter for allowing the third (totally opposite and IMHO viable and obvious) option not to pre-render the (accordingly specified) subproject at all, but to have the rendering take place only when listening to / rendering the main project.

On top of this, the possibility to off-charge the rendering of a sub-project on a remote PC would be a perfect future option (as the current ReaMote implementation is known to be not decently workable).

-Michael (having posted that request already in the appropriate forum)