Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Trancit
Human being with feelings

Default Struggling a bit with zooming...

Hi there,

because of not having a detail view for audio and automation, I like to zoom in a lot for more detailed work...

For zooming in there are a lot of different actions, but where my problem start is a quick way to get back...

For me, itīs working on a project at a certain zoom level for most of the time...then for precise edits zooming in quite a bit and doing the changes...

Now I would like to get back to my starting point (before zooming in)...
How do you do that???

Shift+Z (Toggle zoom to selected items) doesnīt work (means it doesnīt bring you back) as soon as you scroll after zooming in, making cuts etc...

Track views (with saved horizontal zoom and Track control panel status) buggy as Windows screensets (and never got fixed) doesnīt work anymore as soon as you work on the last tracks of a project... (doesnīt restore the trackheight anymore)...

So how to do...???

Itīs all about getting back to the "original" zoom... as I said, with zoom in I donīt have any problems at all, but getting back to a "normal" zoom drive me nuts...
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
dug dog

Hmmm.... I didn't know that track view was not working.

You could use the action "restore previous zoom level" and assign it to a hotkey but you"ll have to hit it more than once to reverse several zoom moves.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
You could use the action "restore previous zoom level" and assign it to a hotkey but you"ll have to hit it more than once to reverse several zoom moves.
Ha, thatīs great... thx
Thatīs the problem with so many actions... if you donīt know how they are named, itīs easy to overlook the most important ones... :-)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
if you donīt know how they are named, itīs easy to overlook the most important ones... :-)
Indeed.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
brainwreck

Other users have said long ago (myself included) that there should be actions for user-defined zoom levels, which was the main underlying lack in users wanting an editing view. Maybe that has been implemented by now. I don't know (still using v4), which gets back to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
Ha, thatīs great... thx
Thatīs the problem with so many actions... if you donīt know how they are named, itīs easy to overlook the most important ones... :-)
I have often thought that searchable action tags could be helpful here. But really the problem is in the naming of actions and lack of explanation of the naming. But searchable action tags might at least allow for users to help make sense of the naming (sharing action tags among each other), since the naming isn't likely to change at this point.

Last edited by brainwreck; 01-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
lunker

I use "+" and "-" to zoom in or out (for both the arrange view, and the MIDI editor), and use "CTRL +" to zoom to the time selection ("View: Zoom Time Selection"), and "CTRL -" to zoom all the way back out to the full project/item ("View: Zoom Out Project" in the main view, and "View: Zoom to one loop iteration" in the MIDI editor).

I find that placing the edit cursor, or zooming to the time selection, followed by a few taps on the "+" key get me to the zoom level I want pretty quickly, and then "CTRL -" zooms back out so that I can move to a different location and zoom in again.

Last edited by lunker; 01-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Other users have said long ago (myself included) that there should be actions for user-defined zoom levels, which was the main underlying lack in users wanting an editing view. Maybe that has been implemented by now. I don't know (still using v4), ...
I saw this in a video from the Reaper blog, where he showed actions for 1 measure, 4 measures etc... but he only showed this shortly and said he let somebody do it for him because it was complicated to realize...
Old 01-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I use "+" and "-" to zoom in or out (for both the arrange view, and the MIDI editor), and use the CTRL key as a modifier to zoom to the time selection ("View: Zoom Time Selection"), and to zoom all the way back out to the full project/item ("View: Zoom Out Project" in the main view, and "View: Zoom to one loop iteration" in the MIDI editor).

I find that placing the edit cursor, or zooming to the time selection, followed by a few taps on the "=" key get me to the zoom level I want pretty quickly, and then "CTRL -" zooms back out so that I can move to a different location and zoom in again.
Yeah, I know... but the normal actions doesnīt click with me somehow... looking for something quicker...
But the restore previous zoom does it really fine... so for now I am done :-)