Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
tweed
Human being with feelings

Default Can I BYPASS an effect/VSTi and save CPU?

Hi..!
What i've found in my Nuendo is that I can AUTOMATE the BYPASSing of a VST instrument or effect and WATCH the CPU useage go DOWN...

This is VERY essential for me as I run the sequencer LIVE.

That way I have tons of VST's loaded and as the sequence runs [that I play along with] it MUTEs the BYPASS switch/button and voila... CPU drop for last VST which then is available for the next UNmuting/UNbypassing ...um, I hope that's clear enough...

1) can reaper automate any bypass switch... or?? [sorry I'm new]

and

2) will this SAVE CPU???

cool.

tweed
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Look at the envelopes available for any effect you have on a track and you'll see that "bypass" is in there - check the preferences for an option that makes bypassed FX not use CPU.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
tweed

HURRAY NO.1 thank you!
NOW the Nuendo killer [for me] IS...
can I now or is it planned to be able to AUTOMATE the bypass switch... sorry I don't have time to DELVE into finding the answer this miniute, and I'm SO keen to find out.

off to work now!
tally ho!!!

m
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

It's automated via envelope drawing. Apart from volume and pan, Reaper doesn't record automation at present, which is one of its more glaring omissions compared to (I suspect) just about all the competitive apps.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Diogenes

Select the track with FX you want to bypass at a certain point. Click the Envelope Tool button and check Bypass for the effect in question. Close the dialog. On the track you will have an envelope default at "0" if you hover your pointer on the line. Moving the envelope node up to "1" equals effect bypass.

That's it. If you open the performance meter, you'll notice the CPU use for the track drop off when the effect(s) are bypassed. This is a pretty neat way to do this task IMO...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

But not as neat as not having to hand-draw the envelope.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
tweed

yo woo all!

just got back and yeah, haven't read the aboves yet [thanks !] tho gotta quickly write I took reaper on the old lappy with me to job and sussed the SUPER SEXY bypass of effects WITH CPU saving feature... WHOOOOO WHOOOO WHOOOO I like.... so cool to see the CPU metering window go down down down when I AUTOMATED the bypass....!!!!

I'm freaking to have found REAPER..

teaser: I'm now going.... hey, for my live set I wonder how SPAWNING instances would be as opposed to the way I work with NUENDO. In nuendo I have to have the whole set as one song so ther's no load time ...right....

I'll start a new thead on this after I muck about with Spawning Instances...

Alos: If I hadn't been SO excited I would have had to write this post, tho I was off to work and wasn't sure I'd figure out the effects bypass thing so I went safe and posted to the gurus here!!
.... That said...... expecting a tip or two when NOW read what ya all wrote... obviously.

Thanks!

yee haa night!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
tweed

Yeah, nice comments. cool.
Hey, ya know I'm cool with REAPER as it is and we'll get more stuff as it comes right. I mean, the writing of automation... hey, nice I guess tho I'm now realizing that one REALLY gets to know one's tracks by er.....hand coding the automation...

I mean there's clever things one can do with say, Nuendo.... but man what a freakin mess I could create writing tons of questionable automation....and THEN trying to SEE it and work with it...

Well, basicallly maybe it would be cool to be able to really SEE the automation one had writin in REAPER before just being able to record tons of crap... does that make enough sense?

So like seeing SELECTABLE automation tracks [can we do this now? dunno] and being able to manually write sexy small automation would be better than having to wade thru tons of hidden tracks with tons of controller recordings buried in them.... gotta run... sorry for not being concise..uh, and stuff.

tweed