Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Tsweet
Human being with feelings

Default Recording FX Chain or Snapshot changes

Hello all!

first up, this is my first post, but I have been following this forum for about 2-3 years and I love this community <3

I've been searching for a solution for my problem for about a year now but nothing I've tried has worked 100% so far. I hope you guys can point me in a direction...
I am not a native English speaker, but I hope I can convey my issue properly...

Here's my problem:

I am using Reaper in a studio AND live situation where all my bands inputs are properly routed, FX chains are applied and individual (headphone-)monitoring has been set up for all band members.
I am using an amp VST (BIAS FX) for all my individual string instruments. Every song we play has it's own Reaper project tab and I am happy with the setup this far.
However: Most songs require a set of different guitar tones for specific sections of the song (intro, chorus, solo... you get it). Therefore I have set up my reaper in a way that I have multiple FX tracks for a single guitar input and at those section changes I route my guitar signal to one of them:

[Guitar Input] --(Send Envelope)--> [Guitar FX 1] ---> [Guitar Out]
~~~~~~~~~ |-(Send Envelope)--> [Guitar FX 2] ---> [Guitar Out]
~~~~~~~~~ |-(Send Envelope)--> [Guitar FX 3] ---> [Guitar Out]

In this example the send envelopes are exclusive to each other. Only one Send can be active at any time. So the Envelope "matrix" kinda looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54rxvsbl07...eaper.png?dl=0

Those Send Envelopes are set up statically in the project and I am looking for a way to make them dynamic. I want to be able to extend a solo on the spot and switch between FX chains using a Midi Controller.

So naturally I've been looking into SWS Extensions and I've tried multiple combinations. The best I could come up with was using multiple snapshots for exclusive muting on those 3 tracks. I.e. 3 seperate snapshots with only one FX track unmuted. This works kinda well, but here's the catch:
I also want to be able to record those FX changes. The way my project is set up I only record the DI on the [Guitar Input] track. I want to keep it this way so that I can mix live recordings using different amp settings at a later stage.

So is there a way to dynamically set up FX Chain changes in a live setting wich can be recorded and recalled in a "playback" or "rendering" situation?

I really need your help with this.

Last edited by Tsweet; 07-06-2017 at 02:54 AM. Reason: clear up formatting
Tsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Pinknoise

Have you tried record output ? Send all three guitars to same bus and set to record output. You will be able to record both the DI and the fx tracks if you want.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
Outboarder

Hi

Read the thread ,maybe it helps you.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=192205
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
Tsweet

Thank you for your replies!
Both your solutions suggest, that I record the output of the FX tracks. I am reluctant to do so, because:
A: I would have to do the FX-routing every time I change amp settings or do a new take (In effect hit my midi controller buttons everytime i do a new mix)
and B: this clutters up my recording takes on the harddrive (not such a big deal... but still ^^)

I realise that my request is a bit picky I want to have an All-In-One solution for live and studio. There might not be such thing.

If you have any more suggestions as to how i can record my send changes and have them be repeated automatically everytime I play or record the project please keep them coming.

Thank you very much!
Tsweet is offline   Reply With Quote