Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
PauloMattos
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Take FX - How to make them work?

Hello guys. Im working on a small project, and I thought it would be easier if I could just apply FXs to MIDI takes, instead of having to render them into a .wav and then applying the FX. I do know that this is somehow related to plugins, but have no idea as to what exactly that means! Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have come to understand that certain plugins affect MIDI's, while others can do only wave takes. Is this correct?
PauloMattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
DarkStar

First off, a plug-in is an additional piece of software that you can load into your main program (Reaper in this case). The plug-in will provide some additional functionality; for example a reverb effect, a software synth, a MIDI chord generator

Now to answer your second question first - yes, some plug-ins process MID, some process audio, some process both.

OK, back to MIDI takes. It sounds like you want to apply some audio effects. But a MIDI take is just data, at this stage there is no audio. So an audio effect will not do anything.

What you could do is drag and drop an instrument from the Reaper Browser onto the MIDI clip, then add the audio FX. But it looks like you will need to do that for each take in the clip (which seems a bit odd to me).

Also, in Preferences > Appearance > Media, enable "Per-take FX" and "no FX"
Old 11-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
PauloMattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
First off, a plug-in is an additional piece of software that you can load into your main program (Reaper in this case). The plug-in will provide some additional functionality; for example a reverb effect, a software synth, a MIDI chord generator

Now to answer your second question first - yes, some plug-ins process MID, some process audio, some process both.

OK, back to MIDI takes. It sounds like you want to apply some audio effects. But a MIDI take is just data, at this stage there is no audio. So an audio effect will not do anything.

What you could do is drag and drop an instrument from the Reaper Browser onto the MIDI clip, then add the audio FX. But it looks like you will need to do that for each take in the clip (which seems a bit odd to me).

Also, in Preferences > Appearance > Media, enable "Per-take FX" and "no FX"
Thank you so much for your answer. It helped clarify what is what, and I've managed to apply FX's to specific takes through rendering them into wave takes.

I guess it all worked out well!
PauloMattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
DarkStar

You're welcome