Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Francesco
Human being with feelings

Default What do you render your projects at? 16 bit/44? 24 bit/44? 24bit/96?

Just wondering, I think so far I have exported all my projects to 24bit/44k hz which I now read somewhere is not really common? I mean the most common I guess is 24bit/96k hz? right? Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between them?
Francesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I mean the most common I guess is 24bit/96k hz? right? Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between them?
Yo yo-mic check 1,2 1,2,mic check 1,2,1,2-- let's spit this..."
Brothers/sister--it's all about resolution of captured images.Audio is a captured image once recorded,so resolution does matter_yes there are noticable differences if 2 files are a/b inverted phase_ null compared.
With lower sample rates your introducing more distortion of an incomming signal-higher sample rates help to smooth out the peak and trough transitions caused by qauntizations.
I just stick to what my system runs better- 16/24/32bit 44.1/48/96khz - the higher the resolutions- = the better computer you will need.

Question= "what sample,or bitrate is a human voice?"
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
serr
Human being with feelings

24 bit 44.1k is very common nowadays. So is 24 bit 96k of course.

I use 96k for studio projects just because you can. I use 48k for live projects like most folks. (48k is the sweet spot for processing headroom vs. low latency when a low latency live sound system is required. With my interfaces anyway.)

24 bit at any sample rate is common actually. The reduction to 16 bit (where you now actually start to hear damage beyond the special cases) is only done for the aging CD format.

Render your mixes at 24 bit and whatever sample rate you recorded at. Master additional lower formats (CD, mp3) from your final HD master so everyone can hear it on whatever they listen with.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote