Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Farmskis
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer uca222 i/o question

How many I/o does the Behringer uca222 have? It has 2 rca (L and R) input and 2 rca (L and R) output and a phones monitor. I am not sure if stereo counts as 2 inputs or 1 input. Newb question I know but I need to start somewhere. Also would I be able to track two mono sources such as a mic with this interface? I have been trying to set it up in Reaper but I may need to download some drivers for it? Do I just use the Behringer drivers or are there better ones? Thanks in advance!
Farmskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #2
mverbunt

2 mono in / 2 mono out (or 1 stereo in/out). To connect mic you do need mic preamps as this interface does not have them. For starters small mixer like Behringer 802 that comes with 2 mic preamps will do.
mverbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Farmskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mverbunt View Post
2 mono in / 2 mono out (or 1 stereo in/out). To connect mic you do need mic preamps as this interface does not have them. For starters small mixer like Behringer 802 that comes with 2 mic preamps will do.
Thank you! I do have a small mixer with preamps that I use. Yamaha mg82cx. Is there was way to record two separate tracks with this interface as long as the two are mono tracks? Also am I able to monitor in my headphones using some reverb from either the mixer or reaper? I would like to have some control over volume of voice vs backing track in my monitor phones.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Stella645

Yes you can record 2 mono channels. Just choose only the L or R input in Reaper for your tracks.

To use your Mixer FX without recording them you would need to come out of the insert points using them as a direct out. you can't just plug a jack in there for this though...This article explains the options clearly.

http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/113

So channels 1 and 2 of the mixer inserts connect to the UCA as described in the link and the UCA outs connect to ch 7/8 phono inputs.
So you have DAW playback level adjustment on ch 7/8, mic or line ins on 1 and 2 and can add FX to any channels that will be playback only.

There is one possible issue here and that is the direct outs of the mixer may be a little hot for the consumer level UCA inputs.
I suspect you'll be fine if you don't overdo the gain but maybe try to test one of these connections with your mic first.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Farmskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Yes you can record 2 mono channels. Just choose only the L or R input in Reaper for your tracks.

To use your Mixer FX without recording them you would need to come out of the insert points using them as a direct out. you can't just plug a jack in there for this though...This article explains the options clearly.

http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/113

So channels 1 and 2 of the mixer inserts connect to the UCA as described in the link and the UCA outs connect to ch 7/8 phono inputs.
So you have DAW playback level adjustment on ch 7/8, mic or line ins on 1 and 2 and can add FX to any channels that will be playback only.

There is one possible issue here and that is the direct outs of the mixer may be a little hot for the consumer level UCA inputs.
I suspect you'll be fine if you don't overdo the gain but maybe try to test one of these connections with your mic first.
I do something very similar. I use the special cable for the d.o. through the insert. Except on the uca outputs I go in through the 2tr and then only send that to monitor. Things have not been working quite right as far as monitoring through headset while singing so maybe I will try the 7/8.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Stella645

Not sure using ch7/8 will make any difference then. 2tr in should work pretty much the same.
What problem do you have with monitoring?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Farmskis

Quote:
Not sure using ch7/8 will make any difference then. 2tr in should work pretty much the same.
What problem do you have with monitoring?
I am unable to get the vocal to be heard above the backing track. It really does not make sense because the gain should control the level going into the daw. Then the volume on the mixer should control the level in the phones when singing without effecting the level going into the daw. To my knowledge I should be able to use the special insert cable to pull the direct vocal into the daw but then also allow the signal to go through the effects on the mixer to get reverb etc while monitoring. Such as the reverb is only in the phones not going into the daw. The only thing is it seems I can not really control the volume of the vocal in the phones. Just out of curiosity, if I turn up the mains volume should the volume go up in my monitor phones? I didn't think so but being new at this maybe my logic is wrong.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Stella645

Stop trying to turn up the vocal and instead turn down the backing track until you have the balance you want.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Farmskis

Quote:
Stop trying to turn up the vocal and instead turn down the backing track until you have the balance you want.
If the vocal was loud enough I would. If I put on the phones and have my wife sing I can barely hear her in them. If you are wearing them while singing, forget it. No matter how low you go with the backing you are not hearing then either the backing or the vocal.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Stella645

Lets check the basics

What mic?
What type of cable connectors? XLR to XLR or something else?
phantom power switched on if mic needs it?
Gain up on the channel to set input level?
try to get the clip light to go off and then back off the gain till it doesn't.
Channel Volume up?
Monitor/Phones level turned up?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Farmskis

Quote:
Lets check the basics

What mic?
What type of cable connectors? XLR to XLR or something else?
phantom power switched on if mic needs it?
Gain up on the channel to set input level?
try to get the clip light to go off and then back off the gain till it doesn't.
Channel Volume up?
Monitor/Phones level turned up?
Phantom power is on the condenser mic. Gain is up. This does affect the level going into the daw but really seems to not do much as far as hearing more in the phones. I have looked over the basics as much as possible and was reaching out to see if there was a basic I was missing. One thing that I noticed was that for some reason if I went into my computer's control panel under the sound settings and turned down the USB mic it seemed to have a huge effect on the recording level. I thought I was using the uca222 but maybe I don't have the driver installed correctly or selected in daw so I am checking things down that road now. Loacted and downloaded the uca222 driver software. Going to see if that changes anything.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Stella645

The headphones are plugged into the Mixer yes?

So the UCA driver has nothing to do with the volume of vocal in the headphones.

Why is a USB mic in your windows sound settings at all....you don't have one do you??

Quote:
Phantom power is on the condenser mic. Gain is up. This does affect the level going into the daw but really seems to not do much as far as hearing more in the phones.
It wouldn't. The channel volume and phones volume are the only thing that will do that.

Last edited by Stella645; 02-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Stella645

Something else occurs to me.

Assuming the headphones are plugged into the mixer. Unplug the insert/direct out cable from the mic channel and see if the vocal level in headphones goes up.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
Farmskis

Quote:
Something else occurs to me.

Assuming the headphones are plugged into the mixer. Unplug the insert/direct out cable from the mic channel and see if the vocal level in headphones goes up.
I just was able to try that. Volume seems the same either way. Although I did not have a whole lot of time to play with it. The software change and setting up the daw on asio and selecting the Behringer vs using waveout and codec seems to help a bit. I will have to play around with it to see if it has fully corrected my issue.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
Stella645

If your headphones are plugged into the mixer (you didn't answer this question) then the level of the vocal is nothing to do with drivers or Reaper. It can only be something in the mixer.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Farmskis

Quote:
If your headphones are plugged into the mixer (you didn't answer this question) then the level of the vocal is nothing to do with drivers or Reaper. It can only be something in the mixer.
I am sorry about that... The headphones are plugged into the mixer.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
Farmskis

Things are definitely better. I am able to control backing and voice in phones and also get proper recording levels all independently.
The only thing I notice and this may not matter but I just would like to know for my knowledge. It seems I need so very little of the "monitor mix" knob to get proper volume. What does monitor mix mean? Also what is st return knob do? Sorry for such newb questions but just when I think I know I don't know.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Stella645

The monitor mix is simply the amount of the 2 track input sent to the monitoring....your headphones in this case.

The St return adjusts the level of whatever you plug into the return input/s.

Common use would be to connect an external FX unit....out from the send and back in to the return. The send knobs on each channel set the level you send to the FX and the return sets the overall level of the FX as it arrives back in the mix.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
Farmskis

Quote:
The monitor mix is simply the amount of the 2 track input sent to the monitoring....your headphones in this case.

The St return adjusts the level of whatever you plug into the return input/s.

Common use would be to connect an external FX unit....out from the send and back in to the return. The send knobs on each channel set the level you send to the FX and the return sets the overall level of the FX as it arrives back in the mix.
Thank you for that info!