Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 11-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Default Filther [JSFX] - Waveshaper / analog filter emu / dynamics processing combo

Helo!

I have made a thing.

Filther - A dynamic waveshaping/analog filter emulation/AM/FM modulation thingamabob
Filther is a waveshaper/filter/dynamics processing combo. It's mostly meant for bassy synth work (good for making them growl/scream), but should work fine on most other sounds as well. I've had some fun with it on drums, guitars and pads as well.

It is entirely free, but comes with no warranty whatsoever. You can also nab parts of the source, but I would appreciate a shoutout if you do.

Manual
Manual can be found here:
Online: https://joepvanlier.github.io/FiltherManual/
PDF: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Filth...ter/Manual.pdf

Installing
The best way to install Filther and be kept up to date with updates is to add the following repository to your Reapack: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jo...ster/index.xml
You can find more information on how to do this here: https://reapack.com/user-guide#import-repositories
You can find some more information on Filther and the repository here: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/JSFX.
Alternatively, there is an attachment on this post, which I will update every now and then.

Features
- Two filter modules, which can be automated by either dynamics or LFO.
- 64 filters to choose from and counting (Clean linear SVF filters, non-linear filters, analog models (my favs are the MS-20, diode ladder and wasp-like thing), FM modulation filters, AM modulation filters, distortion filters, PWM filters, wah pedals. From clean to quirky to very dirty and mean).
- Both FIR and IIR upsampling/downsampling (to prevent aliasing when distorting). Go easy on it, most of the time you don't need upward of x2 and it's only burning CPU. FIR filtering does less damage to transients than IIR, but is more costly.
- Four waveshaping algorithms (tanh, fast tanh, spline and sine). The spline can be dragged via fully automate-able nodes.
- Sample accurate cutoff and resonance interpolation.
- Optional inertia which can be used when live tweaking to reduce zipper effects.
- A dynamics section that responds dynamically to the RMS of the input signal via either an thresholding/attack/decay mechanism or direct functional relation which can be used to automate the filter cutoff, resonance and the waveshaper. Alternatively, MIDI notes or a side-chain can be used to trigger filter dynamics.
- An LFO section.
- Stereo widening filter modes.
- An additional overarching feedback path (non-ZDF).
- Flexible routing. Choose between serial and parallel routing with one or two non-linearities in the path. Note that morph allows you to interpolate between filter A and B, while parallel just has each at 50%.

Samples
If you want to hear a gritty example of what it can sound like: https://soundcloud.com/saike/ohnoesitsaboss2/s-zYCOt
All the distortion/filtering on that track was done with this filter (mostly nonlin Kr0g and Rezzy).
The more experimental filters (such as "Experimental" and "Phase Mangler") can be used on pads to make eerie soundscapes: https://soundcloud.com/saike/filter-ambience/s-UxdLO
Spline waveshaper: https://soundcloud.com/saike/sine/s-mbHJL
FM modes: https://soundcloud.com/saike/fm-modes-filther/s-KXwEQ

Tutorial
Here's a short tutorial on how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtc8kp57xpI
Old tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlgsVy-C2yI
(You can also find the spectral analyzer in the repo).

Tips 'n Tricks
- When tweaking, enable Automatic Gain Control to protect your ears from resonance issues. This rescales the volume so that the RMS value post filter is the same as the input level (meaning that you can leave the post fader at 0 dB). You can transfer the estimated gain to the post-gain fader with the outer mouse
- All controls are hinted. Hover over them for more information
- Play with the Pre-Gain / Drive. It can make a huge difference for both the filters and the waveshaper.
- Some filters such as the MS-20 (my fav), Rezzy and CEM/SSM saturate quite nicely when driven. These can be used without wave-shaper to get a cleaner distortion.
- You can toggle whether to modulate only cutoff, only resonance or both with the right mouse button on the modulator toggles (EN1, EN2, DYN and LFO).
- Not all filter/waveshaper combos are unconditionally stable, so that means that some can bite your head of and end in a sad click. Most are though.
- Some originate from music fora (Diode ladder, Karlsen ladder), others I implemented from papers (Expensive Moog, the phasers), others I modeled after circuit boards or diagrams found online (Kr0g, SSM, CEM) and some I circuit bended into existence (Experimental, Rezzy, Phase Mangler).
- The filters, all IIRs are not meant to be clean, many of them saturate in non-linear ways and add a lot of color to your sounds.
- The routing on each filter is different. For some the waveshaper is inside the filter feedback, for others it is a pre- or post processing step. Deciding where to put the waveshaper was done subjectively. If the original had a diode clipper, I usually put it there
- The nonlinear filters are more expensive since they solve a non-linear system of equations at every sample. For all of the nonlinear filters I have also implemented a linearized variant and if you don't use the filter in its saturation range, it is better to use the linear variants for performance reasons.
- ZDF in the filter name stands for Zero Delay Feedback, which means that there is no extra delay present in the feedback loop. These filters tend to respond a little better to sudden changes in cutoff and resonance.
- Spline waveshaping is significantly more expensive than tanh or fast tanh waveshaping. It can also cause instability in some filters where the spline is in the feedback loop. Yet, because a lot of sonic sweetspots exist that make use of this, I have decided to still expose the ability to do this. Tread lightly.
- Have fun with dynamics. Motion makes everything better.
- Feedback can be used to fatten up filters and in some cases regain control of the resonance. If you want some fatness/resonance fighting, keep the delay firmly placed at zero. The feedback delay chain has the exact opposite polarity of the resonance in most chains, so in this mode, it will fight with the resonance to sort of choke in on itself (see diode ladder or ms-20 for this effect). This can make the resonance less ringey, more chunky and a lot more pleasant to listen to. Note that the global feedback is not ZDF. Also note that using feedback, reduces the maximum number of spline nodes by two.
- For phasey effects, use feedback with larger delays. Note however that then you're in the danger zone, because once resonance starts boosting resonance, things get real dicey. I would always recommend playing with this only if you have AGC on.
- Morph mode (under routing) allows you to interpolate between filter A and B. Note however, that morph mode eats one node of the spline.
- Toggle the shortcut list with F1.

Presets
The filter should come with presets. If they do not appear, then before synchronizing with ReaPack, delete the previous Filther.ini. Then open Reaper, make sure the Filter presets are gone from the list, then synchronize Filther with ReaPack.

Disclaimer
As for all my stuff, the usual caveat applies. Use this entirely at your own risk. I don't take any responsibility for the filter messing up a project, and I hope this is useful to some of you.
Depending on the number of subsystems you enable, the plugin can get pretty CPU hungry. Always disable what you're not using.

Call for presets
If you make anything cool with it, please let me know.
Also, if you happen to hit a sweet spot and want to contribute (a) preset(s) to the bigger preset library that I eventually want to build, please let me know.

... now also with themes!

Happy filthering
Attached Files
File Type: zip Filther_v3_00.zip (122.8 KB, 547 views)

Last edited by sai'ke; 10-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you for tool
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Eliseat

That's one bad ass filter and distortion plugin. I always wanted this kind of harshness as I love how it sounds if a bass gets squished thru a wrecked loudspeaker. Very nice.

The handles are a bit flimsy. And everything reacts a bit unsuspected. But that's the soul of a real filthy filther.

Many thanks.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
sai'ke

Thanks guys.

Do you think I should make the handles a bit bigger?

And you can get it to sound really nasty if you want: https://soundcloud.com/saike/sine/s-mbHJL >

Problem is then to get something else to still go over it in the mix.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
J Reverb

YES !
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
The handles are a bit flimsy. And everything reacts a bit unsuspected. But that's the soul of a real filthy filther.
You could map to a hardware midi controller, or something like open stage control
https://github.com/jean-emmanuel/ope...ntrol/releases
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I look forward to using this plugin. Thanks!

A couple things:

1) Presets aren't included in the download, and I can't find them in your repo.

2) Updates to Spectral Analyzer (version 1.4) aren't showing in ReaPack (version 1.3 on my system shows as the most current, and won't update with ReaPack when synchronizing). Perhaps that's because the filename now has "MK2". (Fixed, thanks!)
Yeah sorry, I really messed up how the spectral plugin was being packaged. Took a few tries to fix it. I also made the 'default' the up to date one now. I kept the old ones in in case anyone got attached to that look/feel

Yeah, you are correct. I'm not sure how to best handle distributing them. I don't want the repo to accidentally start overwriting people's own presets. Maybe someone with more experience distributing jsfx can chime in on this

I've attached the ones I've made so far to this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: ini js-Saike Tools_Filther_Filther_jsfx.ini (53.1 KB, 411 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
And you can get it to sound really nasty if you want: https://soundcloud.com/saike/sine/s-mbHJL >

Problem is then to get something else to still go over it in the mix.
That's exactly what I mean.
Love it!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
sai'ke

Quote:
No problem!

Geraintluff found a way of including presets with his JS plugins when downloaded from ReaPack (included automatically). I noticed on his Github that the presets (in form of .rpl) are named the same way as the plugins but with .rpl appended to the end. There may be more clues how it's done in his index.xml but it's over my head. He made a reference to a "magic naming convention" so I'm guessing the .rpl names themselves have to be a certain way at least.

He initially made .ini files available but that confused some people. I suggested .rpl as a separate download (because people might be more comfortable importing the presets that way) but then he figured out a way of including them in the download from ReaPack too.
Thanks. I'll shoot him a text and ask him where I can find help on this. It would be much nicer if I could just pack some presets with it and don't have to worry about overwriting people's stuff

I couldn't resist messing more, so I added a bunch of FM filters, for the ones among you that may like some nasty FM

https://soundcloud.com/saike/fm-modes-filther/s-KXwEQ
In order from nice to nasty: Clean, FM feedback (feedback loop within filter is FM modulated), Cutoff is FM modulated and Signal is FM modulated.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
geraintluff

Hi Joep,

Yes, including presets is entirely based on special filenames. If your effect is "Filther.jsfx", then any presets from "Filther.jsfx.rpl" in the same directory will be automatically loaded.

This isn't documented anywhere that I could find. Here's the thread where Justin told me how to do it.

If you add new presets and reload, they are added onto the end of the preset list (from my memories of testing it). I can't remember what happens if there's a naming-clash (it might overwrite them) - if that's a concern, I guess you could give all your presets a common prefix (e.g. ReaEQ comes with a bunch of presets named "stock - ...") and trust users to not deliberately clash with that.

Geraint

Last edited by geraintluff; 11-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
sai'ke

Thanks Geraint! It seems to work!

I've added some presets to the plugin now. For some reason I had to force a reinstall in Reapack before it picked up the extra file, so if it's not working, that can be tried.

It was a bit tricky to make presets, since they depend on the timbre and volume of the incoming signal a lot. Definitely play with the pre-gain/drive if you decide to play with this thing.

I've also done some minor work here and there to try and improve usability somewhat. The sliders are a bit wider, the plugin can now also force in and output clipping (note that the input clipping happens before the distortion stage (making sure it stays "on the map") and the dynamics window should be a little less finicky. Also, small edits can now be made with the scroll wheel when hovering over a slider.

Edit: Hmm... no wait, I still seem to have to import them o_O

Last edited by sai'ke; 11-12-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Eliseat

The really weird thing is, I found the ini file on my desktop.

But that's okay as I can now put my own presets in the file. Many thanks again.

Edit: no, I have to correct me. I got all the presets plus mine into the Filther FX AND I got a copy of the Filther ini on my desktop. Everything seems perfect now.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Ozman

Tested the MS-20 filters.
They sound great!

Awesome on the drum bus.

Lovin this filter.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Tested the MS-20 filters.
They sound great!

Awesome on the drum bus.

Lovin this filter.
Ghehehe, thanks! I think those turned out nicest. Especially the non-linear ones when driven. They're a bit hungry on CPU though.

Quote:
It worked! Report below...

Before syncronizing with ReaPack (to get the updated Filter with included presets), I deleted the previous Filther.ini (to wipe out the presets of yours from the attachment in your post, that I'd added myself). I then opened Reaper and made sure the Filter presets were gone from the list, then synchronized it with ReaPack. Your included presets were successfully added (and in my case, it didn't make an .ini on my desktop as Eliseat mentioned). I notice your presets you included now have "[Saike]" appended to the start of the name.
Cool. Glad it works. And thanks for reporting back! I'll add it to the top post.

Appending my name to them was done so you can identify your own quickly. Also, if anyone makes any cool presets that they are willing to share, I can add them to the preset list.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Nice filter ! Thank you very much
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Sju

Hey, what an awesome sounding filter you can _really_ push this thing! Thank you!

About the GUI:

1. it opens up like this

2. the controls are very small. Would it be possible to have a BIG knob for each, especially the cutoff, reso, and drive? There's a lot of useful cutoff range in the couple of pixels of travel of the slider at the left side.

3. How about an optional gain link between pre and post gain?

EDIT: looks like I was using an old version, maybe some of these are fixed now

PS. cool name btw nobody really came up with that before?

Last edited by Sju; 11-15-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #17
sai'ke

Quote:
I had assumed that, and was just letting you know how it worked (in case you were wondering).
Haha, yeah, sorry, I should've realized that. My brain's a bit fried lately. It's been a busy time at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
About the GUI:

1. it opens up like this
Whoops. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I've changed the size hinting to let reaper know it likes to be bigger.
Quote:
2. the controls are very small. Would it be possible to have a BIG knob for each, especially the cutoff, reso, and drive? There's a lot of useful cutoff range in the couple of pixels of travel of the slider at the left side.
I've increased the size of the sliders (twice now ). I hope it's workable now.
Quote:
3. How about an optional gain link between pre and post gain?
This is a good idea. I will consider adding this in a future version. You mean linking them in opposite directions or the same? It kind of depends on which filter you select what you would want I suppose?
Quote:
PS. cool name btw nobody really came up with that before?
I have Meta from the discord to thank for that name. He came up with it. I was originally going to call it Filth filter after a Jeskola buzz effect I did in my teenage years (don't bother looking for it, It was too buggy to expose the public to it ). He then came up with Filther, which sounded a lot better

Also, the new filther has an RMS mode now. In this mode, the cutoff / resonance can be set directly to the value of the RMS signal (the one you see displayed in red).
For this mode to work nicely, set the maximum roughly to the maximum of the In signal you see under Dynamics, set the RMS time to a level where you see nice smooth curves.
Curve/Attack will affect how the dynamics variable is affected by the RMS value. Higher leads to longer attacks.
Inversion can invert the effect of RMS on the curve.

Last edited by sai'ke; 11-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
toddhisattva

Default Automuting A Lot

I love the sounds!

But it's throwing a lot of peaks that cause automuting. I can keep it from automuting by adding a limiter, but then the track's good part gets whacked when the limiter kicks in for the peaks.

Reaper 5.962, Windows 7, WASAPI 48kHz/24bits, playing some arps in Daichi Synth1 straight into Filther.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
sai'ke

Huh. Peaks is unusual. Do you have any of the filters on? If so, which filter is this happening for?

A few of the filters may not be unconditionally stable when you push them at high resonances/cutoffs (they have warnings in the info box).
Old 11-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
sai'ke

Some updates...

- Added quite a few filters. A few different approaches at trying to emulate the WASP. Some very broken filters and also the clean cytomic SVF filters.

Some demos of the dirtier ones:
https://fanburst.com/saike/waspeytes..._code=23d7dd0c
https://fanburst.com/saike/waspeytes..._code=30c25f47
https://fanburst.com/saike/brokencon..._code=027a63a9

- Added retina option for people with high res displays (Would be cool if someone could let me know if this works, because I can't test it locally).

- Added x4 options to allow for longer attack/decay and RMS values.

- Added keyboard control of comboboxes and sliders.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

The Waspey sounds awesome !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #22
Eliseat

Quote:
Some updates...

- Added quite a few filters. A few different approaches at trying to emulate the WASP. Some very broken filters and also the clean cytomic SVF filters.

Some demos of the dirtier ones:
https://fanburst.com/saike/waspeytes..._code=23d7dd0c
https://fanburst.com/saike/waspeytes..._code=30c25f47
https://fanburst.com/saike/brokencon..._code=027a63a9

- Added retina option for people with high res displays (Would be cool if someone could let me know if this works, because I can't test it locally).

- Added x4 options to allow for longer attack/decay and RMS values.

- Added keyboard control of comboboxes and sliders.
This is legendary! Many thanks for this plugin and for your passion to make it better every time.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #23
Ivannn Bennnettt

Cool one
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
Bri1
Banned

@ sai'ke-wow--just tried this-wow.
can already tell-it's defo going in the favourites list!
some new terms might be defined with this 1 >gnarly just don't quite cut_it atmo.
exellent.thanks so much.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
sai'ke

Ghehe, thanks

I hope you enjoy it.

Remember that with some of the filters you have to be careful. If the description says "not unconditionally stable" it can have crackles, pops or even stop working completely.

Most of them should be fine though!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
If the description says "not unconditionally stable" it can have crackles, pops or even stop working completely.!

lol-actually,besides the 'not working bits' -- what you describe can be quite attractive in some ways! sure u know all this..
very clever use of js man- users make reaper even greater!!
your very talented like many here> creative force is strong.
i guess all of our aims are towards perfection-it's a great goal to shoot for!! great shot!!
ty.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
toddhisattva

Default Bedugged

Quote:
Huh. Peaks is unusual. Do you have any of the filters on? If so, which filter is this happening for?

A few of the filters may not be unconditionally stable when you push them at high resonances/cutoffs (they have warnings in the info box).
Okay I think I've narrowed it down, and it might be operator error ;-)

The astronomical peaks happen *when I flip through presets.* For instance, I've got an arpeggio measure repeating, and flip from "Noisy Drums" to the next preset, "Gentle Fuzz," and crack there's the +53dB peak and automute. Then I can unmute and play the loop again and it works just fine.

So finding "the right" preset might take a little longer than usual. Worth! It!

Thanks for the buzz.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhisattva View Post
Okay I think I've narrowed it down, and it might be operator error ;-)

The astronomical peaks happen *when I flip through presets.* For instance, I've got an arpeggio measure repeating, and flip from "Noisy Drums" to the next preset, "Gentle Fuzz," and crack there's the +53dB peak and automute. Then I can unmute and play the loop again and it works just fine.

So finding "the right" preset might take a little longer than usual. Worth! It!

Thanks for the buzz.
Thanks a lot for reporting back! So, that was a bug actually. A pretty major one. The fact that it occurred from Noisy Drums to Gentle Fuzz allowed me to reproducibly cause the spikes and gave me a clue on where it could be. Had to do with extrapolating the spline and coefficients beyond the end of the spline not being properly initialized (oops!).

Long story short, extrapolation was handled incorrectly. I have since fixed the bug, which should make the plugin work a lot more reliably.

If anyone has any track that changed because of this, please let me know and I will add a legacy mode (although I would really advise against it, since this bug could have unpredictable consequences)! I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #29
jrengmusic

Does this JSFX support retina screen?

This looks very interesting. I really wanna try it out. But this is how it looks on my iMac 5K Retina screen. The window size seems right, but the gfx drawn at half scale. Everything so tiny.

Last edited by jrengmusic; 12-04-2018 at 08:59 PM.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
sai'ke

Could you verify whether it happens in the latest version as well?

I did add retina support at some point. Not having a retina capable device myself, I can't test it however. I do notice in the screenshot that the plugin is missing the x4 modifiers, so it's not the latest version.

Also, would you mind rescaling the image a bit? It's really throwing off the way the forum is displaying here

Thanks
Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #31
jrengmusic

Straight from github.

Switch to forum quick style REAPER 5 theme, it automatically rescale images according to your browser width
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #32
tvm79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post

Straight from github.

Switch to forum quick style REAPER 5 theme, it automatically rescale images according to your browser width
If you can't wait for the fix, you can try changing line 88 in Filther from:
gfx_ext_retina = 1.0; To : gfx_ext_retina = 2.0;

I think that should work, though bear in mind, I did not do in-depth testing
Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #33
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvm79 View Post

This do the trick. I haven't done further test. But so far so good. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #34
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvm79 View Post

came here to ask the same thing, thank you for the fix
Old 12-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #35
sai'ke

Yeah. I assumed that gfx_ext_retina would be set to 2 at the start of @init, rather than at the end. Would someone with retina support mind trying 1.06 (without manually applying the fix just mentioned)? I have attempted to automate the retina detection.

Direct link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jo...r/Filther.jsfx but updating via reapack should also pull it in.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #36
TonE

I think Filther is the perfect fx to play with X360 controller, via joyosc and oscii-bot, see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206796

Any ideas for mapping parameters and ranges are welcome, with or without ReaLearn, I will post my experiences here, videos, mappings, track templates, so everyone could use same setup, as all is free: Filther, joyosc, oscii-bot, except X360 or any other game joystick/controller. We could share here one user and two user setups, those would be then a different type of 'audio games' using one or two joysticks. Converting an X360 to a monster Filther controller.

Another point. What are best ways of analyzing filters, visually, for checking their 'quality' if there is any such measure. Which scientific and non-scientific methods are known and used in practice? For example, if I would want to compare all the filters available in Filther, which would be possible ways? The goal would be kind of being able to design new filters based on those insights, taking various elements of those filters, combining their 'best parts', if possible. Or just experimenting with new ideas. One such idea would be trying to design it so, it sounds always good, or excluding those ranges which are 'more troublesome', so even if you would go wild on an X360 controller, the result would behave still controlled and nicely, I guess one of Moogs tricks was making his instruments/parameters sound always good, or? Never owned any Moog, just guessing.

Last edited by TonE; 12-08-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #37
TonE

Mousovered changing of parameters, at least for example pre-gain/drive seems not to have any effect until I click on it using left mouse button. It would be great if changes would be immediately updated, without requiring any clicking. Why? More fun. Just wanted to test filther a little more, for X360, then observed this feature.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #38
sai'ke

What do you mean by mouseovered changes?

You're supposed to drag the slider (which requires a click to start dragging). If that doesn't work, then that's a bug.

Other than unconditional stability (which not all of these filters are unfortunately), quality is completely subjective I think. Some would say harmonic distortion, low aliasing, but really, what is considered appropriate depends on artistic intent.

The things that I go through pains (higher CPU load) to simulate (saturation effects, slew, harmonic distortion and whatnot) were originally non-ideal / undesirable traits in filters from an engineering point of view. The 'technically' best / most optimal filters are the "simple" linear ZDF ones. They sound transparent and clear and don't show any distortion with higher gains.

Last edited by sai'ke; 12-08-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #39
EpicSounds

Quote:
Yeah. I assumed that gfx_ext_retina would be set to 2 at the start of @init, rather than at the end. Would someone with retina support mind trying 1.06 (without manually applying the fix just mentioned)? I have attempted to automate the retina detection.
looks good now
one thing that might be broken on mac is the highlight around some sliders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3wd64mo4m...lider.gif?dl=0

What does the shaper button do?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #40
sai'ke

Hmm, the font alignment doesn't look great on mac. I should look into that.

The range highlighting seems to work as intended? That thicker line indicates how much the dynamics modulate. When you drag the center up, the range over which it can modulate reduces, eventually hitting zero. That's why it's gone when you pull it back down. Outer mouse button sets it.

The shaper button enables the dynamics panel for the shaper. The yellow curve in dynamics interpolates between no shaping and whatever curve you set (spline, atan or otherwise). This can be used to generate compressor/soft limiter-like effects.