Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #81
Fex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
Yeah but what makes a janitor then?
A love of keys. You get to have a lot of keys. On your belt. To show that you have a lot of important doors to open.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #82
Consul

Okay, let's try this again.

http://soundcloud.com/darren-landrum...-the-flight-of

Post-meltdown rock.

"... And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
emanresu

Hic.. now I cant get it off my head
"niiight" needs a correction, a little low pitch there. "anymooore" too..
A few times a word or two is too quiet and covered with other stuff.
Anyway. Very cool, I turn it up and smoke a cigarette. Thanks for that nice song hehe

The bass drum in the intro is quite long but has a sudden fade.. draws a little attention, maybe just let it ring or add a bit echo. Just that the beginning shows a big room and drum sounds differently there.

Last edited by emanresu; 03-09-2012 at 07:56 PM.
emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #84
Fex

"I turn my head ever so slow
I follow her path through the heavens
And I feel so lost here below"
is not as strong as the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
"niiight" needs a correction, a little low pitch there.
Maybe, but there's a nice vibrato there. Darren's starting to sound like a singer.

The vocals should be louder. The mix should be less bass heavy, IMO.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #85
emanresu

I listen your other tracks and man, I have this grin on my face
Darren good
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #86
Consul

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I can easily do a few more takes on any of the phrases at this point.

@Fex: You pointed out the second bridge not being as strong as the rest. I deliberately made it a lot sparser because it highlights something about the character. If anything, I was thinking about redoing the vocals on that part to make them quiter/huskier to fit the section. That part of the song is the moment that the character shows the most weakness.

Who knows, I might not like it that way and re-sing it stronger instead. That's the beauty of a home digital studio, right?

"... And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."
Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #87
Fex

I didn't mean that the section was sparser/quieter/huskier. That works. I meant that it wasn't as good. Don't melt down again!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #88
bob

very Bassy.Your voice has a touch of Neil Young.Years ago there was a band called Caravan(Canterbury Music)the style reminded me a little bit of that band.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #89
tspring

I didn't get a chance to hear the earlier versions of this song, but this version is quite engaging. The song has a pleasing and interesting melody, which is one of the most difficult things to achieve in music. Your vocals on this sound a bit like Neil Young, and he has done a lot of music that I really like. If Neil can make a song work, you ought to be able to pull it off too. Personally, I think that it is much more important to project emotion and genuineness in a vocal than to sing with perfect pitch. From what I read in this thread, you are on the path toward some real growth in your ability to do this. More power to you. My son also has a voice that reminds me of yours in some ways, and I believe he is also working hard on injecting emotion and genuineness into his music - you can get an idea of how well he is doing here: http://www.facebook.com/ponybonesmusic - (Listen to "The Adventurous Life").

By the way, this is a great thread, as it cuts to the heart of what makes music such a passionate pursuit.

Last edited by tspring; 03-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #90
Consul

This isn't the first time I've heard the Neil Young comparison. It kinda bugs me because I honestly don't much like him. Just personal preference, mind you.

Actually, more than Neil, I'm told I sound almost just like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_FcgL6KvI

His name's Rich Frost (or Rich Martin, his real name). Here are some others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdbhze37Ctc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCCxC_gm8M (my personal favorite)

My sister heard him (as part of Powder) play on one of her Pandora stations, and she stopped suddenly and said, "that sounds like Darren!" Maybe so, but the really fun part of this story is that the first and third of the videos I just linked to were uploaded by the man himself. So this story starts with my sister fortuitously finding my vocal doppelganger and ends with me sending him a message on Youtube, and that's why I love the Internet.

And for the record, I love Caravan and have several of their albums. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their influence slipped in.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #91
jopatius

I agree that the vocals are a bit better now, but in my opinion they are still not convincing. However, I am able to come up with a hypothesis in my mind that this could evolve into a "OK in an alternative way" level some day. As of now, it's not there yet.

The "vocal sound" is one thing, but assuming it is what it is,
why don't we have vocal harmonies here? This would really benefit from a bass male track. It would contradict & complement the lead voice track nicely.

My most important comment to you: instead of trying to get this all done by youself in your basement, you really would benefit from connecting with other people, working at least with the vocals with you. If you spend 10% of your time looking for the right people to work with you, that shall give you more than spending 50% of your time trying to improve your own vocal performance.

You are not going to get rich by doing this, so you should not worry about the financials. You can get connected to other people who like your music though by keeping on doing this. In my opinion, that's the best you can achieve by making music yourself (in general)(the same applies to me too)(and to anyone else on this forum too). If that's not enough for you, you should stop creating music now.

You added those strange links -
the second of those links, "Powder- I try" was a rip-off from "gimme some lovin" from spencer david group in a way which made me feel bad. Your own music is better, you should not compare it to stuff like this.

For some strange reason you are focusing to your own vocal sound now, and it is
a) turning your attention into stange anomalies among the vocalist who also have strange voices, and
b) keeping you from connecting to other people who could give you more convincing vocal tracks.

Last edited by jopatius; 03-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #92
emanresu

Hm.. yes, vocals are not perfect but very very close. Maybe take a break then listen over. And again a little practice - it is a difficult tune. I like your singing in "Time to go" - your sound is cool too. So.. no sweat, time to enjoy the process
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #93
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consul View Post
This isn't the first time I've heard the Neil Young comparison. It kinda bugs me because I honestly don't much like him. Just personal preference, mind you.

Actually, more than Neil, I'm told I sound almost just like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_FcgL6KvI

His name's Rich Frost (or Rich Martin, his real name). Here are some others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdbhze37Ctc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCCxC_gm8M (my personal favorite)

My sister heard him (as part of Powder) play on one of her Pandora stations, and she stopped suddenly and said, "that sounds like Darren!" Maybe so, but the really fun part of this story is that the first and third of the videos I just linked to were uploaded by the man himself. So this story starts with my sister fortuitously finding my vocal doppelganger and ends with me sending him a message on Youtube, and that's why I love the Internet.

And for the record, I love Caravan and have several of their albums. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their influence slipped in.

and for those who don´t know Caravan here is one of my favorite Caravan songs,

Caravan - Golf Girl (music video 1971)