Hi folks!

After my stranded attempt last time (>>),
I'm back with new plans for a new studio

Links:
- Main thread, John Sayer forum
- Blog
-- Images

This is my double garage, that I'll convert into a studio:

I'll not repeat everything from the main thread here.
But I'm happy for your inputs, so I'll post some general and specific stuff here as well.

Last edited by G-Sun; 12-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
G-Sun
Human being with feelings

Default Plan

So my first major question is:

How to deal with the quadratic shape?
Where should my mixing-position be?

My basic idea for mixing-position is this:

I'm thinking:
- Basstraps in the corners
- Slot-walls connected to the basstraps
- Soffit-mounted speakers
- Mid/high absorption centered on the walls.
- Maybe some storage/lockers/rack between speakers and basstraps in 2 corners
- There will be a window on the East-wall
- Relocating main-electricity from North-east corner
- Leveling concrete 1cm on floor, vinyl on top.
- False ceiling all over, broadband absorber (org. ceiling is 2,50m)

Any comments on this?

(I'll make basic choices in 2D first, then making a more accurate 3D-model)

Walls: I plan to take down the hardwood leaf inside on the other walls and on ceiling.

Questions:
Are 1,20m to close for the monitors?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
RJHollins

Hi G !

I 'see' ya over at the JS forum ...

The first, main issue I see ... the basic dimensions you have for the Control Room are nearly square. This is a problem you'd want to change.

Are you planning to build a 'room within a room' design ? That would be best. You can then get the length, width dimensions [based on your ceiling height] into a more desirable 'ratio'.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Hi G !

I 'see' ya over at the JS forum ...

The first, main issue I see ... the basic dimensions you have for the Control Room are nearly square. This is a problem you'd want to change.

Are you planning to build a 'room within a room' design ? That would be best. You can then get the length, width dimensions [based on your ceiling height] into a more desirable 'ratio'.
Hi

Yes, I need to get it less square. How much is the question.
I plan to max out the length of the North-South-dimension,
and tighten the East-West width.
I'm thinking a total difference of 20cm. Is that ok? Or do I need more?

Yes, room within a room.
Although I might just make a false ceiling, as I have a lot isolation upwards.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
tspring

Don't forget to consider HVAC in your design. Dealing with noise from these systems while maintaining air flow can be a major challenge in setting up a practical studio. In Maryland where I live in the US, the main issue is air conditioning (cooling) because it is hot and humid here and air conditioning is inherently noisy. So far, cold weather is less of an issue for us because we can use radiant or convection electrical heating units that are silent, and we have heavy enough wiring to place separate heating units in different parts of the studio. However, using electrical heating is pretty expensive, and might not be so simple if you live in a cold climate or if the wiring in your studio can't handle the load from radiant heaters.

T

Last edited by tspring; 12-17-2012 at 12:49 PM.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Hi

Yes, I need to get it less square. How much is the question.
I plan to max out the length of the North-South-dimension,
and tighten the East-West width.
I'm thinking a total difference of 20cm. Is that ok? Or do I need more?

Yes, room within a room.
Although I might just make a false ceiling, as I have a lot isolation upwards.
Hi G-Sun,

You need to track down a 'room ratio' calculator. Ask the guys [in your thread over in the JS forum] for the best one.

From my recall, the floor to ceiling height is apart of the 3 way calculation.

Getting the best dimensions [ratio wise] is going to make acoustical treatment much more effective. Since ALL rooms have 'modes' [no way around that] ... you can 'test' your L,W,H inside these calculators to reveal the best spread of these modes, so that they are not reinforcing each other [these are very difficult to treat].

No sense in 'guessing' the actual dimensions.

Also remember, that the final ratio will be that of your 'interior' walls of the 'room within room'.

Without doubt, if you post on JS, Stuart will definitely help you get the best for your available space.

Remember ... the site is for 'our' education. We have to do the legwork ... when you post results, they'll help explain the bad or good of it. This is apart of the leaning process [fun or not]. Once you go through it, though, you come out all the more wiser and appreciative of how intricate and interconnected these things are. You will look at recording [mic placement, sound stage, perception, etc] in a keener light. AND, of course, they do it for free !

Once you get the best sizes, you can then get your design going in SketchUP. Then you can start getting a feel for the layout.

Honestly ... I would stay focused on the JS site. YES, there are knowledgeable folks here that may be kind to help [which is great]. But the JS site may have, some, 50 projects going on around the world. That is why they need your build location in your profile so that the info they give is pertinent to your specific area. I'm sure if you peruse the site, it is amazing the vast variety of builds that take place. That is their gig.

Just my suggestion. To many cooks in the kitchen can be confusing, and as promising some design idea may seem [elsewhere], there are no checks/ balances in place as in the JS forum. Although Stuart [Soundman2020] has been handling the majority of posts, he is not alone. All the heavy's are watching ... and they will step in if they deem necessary.

Hey ... no doubt this is a lot of work, effort to do this ... some call it crazy. Mistakes are too expensive.

It should be stated that anyone 'here' should also follow your build thread on JS forum. They'd be welcome to offer their insight/ design ideas. If there is an 'issue', then it can be exposed and discussed. Importantly, you will have the correct information to go on to a successful build ... but only if you want it right.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
Don't forget to consider HVAC in your design. Dealing with noise from these systems while maintaining air flow can be a major challenge in setting up a practical studio. In Maryland where I live in the US, the main issue is air conditioning (cooling) because it is hot and humid here and air conditioning is inherently noisy. So far, cold weather is less of an issue for us because we can use radiant or convection electrical heating units that are silent, and we have heavy enough wiring to place separate heating units in different parts of the studio. However, using electrical heating is pretty expensive, and might not be so simple if you live in a cold climate or if the wiring in your studio can't handle the load from radiant heaters.

T
Thanks!

Yes, HVAC..
I'll plan for -20 to +25 degrees Celsius outside temperature.
Mainly me working alone, but should work for 5 people.
I'm planning two passive vent-wholes on the east wall, built into the basstraps.
Besides my design has a window to open if air is tight.
Radiant heating is wired (as it is) and will be on a separate circuit. I'll maybe have a small heater extra.
I believe cost of electricity and getting the two vent-wholes right is gonna be my greatest concern.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Hi G-Sun,

You need to track down a 'room ratio' calculator. Ask the guys [in your thread over in the JS forum] for the best one.
Thanks a lot for your well thought advices!
Yes, I have the calculator. Need to do ceiling-plan first, then I'll do the room-modes for current design.
Quote:
From my recall, the floor to ceiling height is apart of the 3 way calculation.

Getting the best dimensions [ratio wise] is going to make acoustical treatment much more effective. Since ALL rooms have 'modes' [no way around that] ... you can 'test' your L,W,H inside these calculators to reveal the best spread of these modes, so that they are not reinforcing each other [these are very difficult to treat].

No sense in 'guessing' the actual dimensions.
Yeah, you're right
Quote:

Also remember, that the final ratio will be that of your 'interior' walls of the 'room within room'.
Yes. A little unsure about if slot-walls and some panels have an effect on room-modes. Guess they don't.
Quote:

Without doubt, if you post on JS, Stuart will definitely help you get the best for your available space.
Yes, that's the place, and Stuart has a wealth of knowledge
Quote:

Remember ... the site is for 'our' education. We have to do the legwork ... when you post results, they'll help explain the bad or good of it. This is apart of the leaning process [fun or not]. Once you go through it, though, you come out all the more wiser and appreciative of how intricate and interconnected these things are. You will look at recording [mic placement, sound stage, perception, etc] in a keener light. AND, of course, they do it for free !
Indeed
Quote:

Once you get the best sizes, you can then get your design going in SketchUP. Then you can start getting a feel for the layout.

Honestly ... I would stay focused on the JS site. YES, there are knowledgeable folks here that may be kind to help [which is great]. But the JS site may have, some, 50 projects going on around the world. That is why they need your build location in your profile so that the info they give is pertinent to your specific area. I'm sure if you peruse the site, it is amazing the vast variety of builds that take place. That is their gig.

Just my suggestion. To many cooks in the kitchen can be confusing, and as promising some design idea may seem [elsewhere], there are no checks/ balances in place as in the JS forum. Although Stuart [Soundman2020] has been handling the majority of posts, he is not alone. All the heavy's are watching ... and they will step in if they deem necessary.
Yes, you're right. I was only a little concerned after no one had entered the thread at JS
Quote:

Hey ... no doubt this is a lot of work, effort to do this ... some call it crazy. Mistakes are too expensive.
Yes, crazy, but not impossible
(and yes, I don't have budget for big mistakes)
Quote:

It should be stated that anyone 'here' should also follow your build thread on JS forum. They'd be welcome to offer their insight/ design ideas. If there is an 'issue', then it can be exposed and discussed. Importantly, you will have the correct information to go on to a successful build ... but only if you want it right.
Yes, JS is THE place.
Although, I believe some people here would feel it easier to add they're 2c here.
(and I believe I know enough to make some judgements about the advices I get, and from whom it's given.. )
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
G-Sun

Wall plan:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/vi...126170#p126164

Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
tspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Thanks!

Yes, HVAC..

I believe cost of electricity and getting the two vent-wholes right is gonna be my greatest concern.
One of the reasons I am sensitive to the ventilation issue:

The small town I live in has a volunteer fire department that is called to duty by activating a distributed set of sirens that can be heard all over town. It is loud. Really loud. Our studio's window can't block it out entirely. So far, the sirens have not gone off while we were recording a really quiet passage, so no harm is done, and we all laugh when the wailing starts. Still, some day, you know what is going to happen.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
One of the reasons I am sensitive to the ventilation issue:

The small town I live in has a volunteer fire department that is called to duty by activating a distributed set of sirens that can be heard all over town. It is loud. Really loud. Our studio's window can't block it out entirely. So far, the sirens have not gone off while we were recording a really quiet passage, so no harm is done, and we all laugh when the wailing starts. Still, some day, you know what is going to happen.
Hehe. Not much sirens here. But a heavy trafficked road 150m away, and the neighbour-son passing by on his aircraft
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Tod

Ha, I see you're at it again G-Sun, and looks like you've got a much better building to work with. That's great.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
G-Sun

Hehe, thanks Tod

Well, looks like much work this time as well.
Yes, it should be possible to get a good project studio out of it.
Just need to get the design together.

Happy XMas