Old 05-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
Edu Camargo
Human being with feelings

Default $Marker(Name) / $Region(Name)?

Hello guys,

I'd love to get a deeper understanding of these new wildcards implemented on REAPER version 6.20.
Do these added parameters have a similar effect for example like when you create markers for DDP projects? For example: TITLE=My New Composition|PERFORMER=A Guy called Joe
What is the propper use of these wildcards? Can we create long regions / marker names with lots of informations and then add them to metadata / file names?

Please help me to understand the concept.

Thanks,

Edu Camargo.

Last edited by Edu Camargo; 05-15-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Misspelling of a REAPER wildcard argument
Edu Camargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
Edu Camargo

Anyone?
Old 05-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
poulhoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu Camargo View Post
Anyone?
This feature is not well documented yet, unfortunately. As far as I can tell each region or marker can only contain one argument so you would have to add separate markers or regions, each with different (name) values.
poulhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu Camargo View Post
Hello guys,

I'd love to get a deeper understanding of these new wildcards implemented on REAPER version 6.20.
Do these added parameters have a similar effect for example like when you create markers for DDP projects? For example: TITLE=My New Composition|PERFORMER=A Guy called Joe
What is the propper use of these wildcards? Can we create long regions / marker names with lots of informations and then add them to metadata / file names?
Hmm, no, there's no concept of a separator at present. If you had marker text as in your example above, the only thing you'd be able to do with it is $marker(TITLE), which would resolve to "My New Composition|PERFORMER=A Guy called Joe".

[edit] support was added for this in REAPER 6.33, as described in post #7 below.

Last edited by schwa; 10-20-2023 at 06:44 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
ktm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Hmm, no, there's no concept of a separator at present. If you had marker text as in your example above, the only thing you'd be able to do with it is $marker(TITLE), which would resolve to "My New Composition|PERFORMER=A Guy called Joe".
@schwa:
Would it be possible to implement the concept of a separator into the wild card system?
will $marker(name) actually ignore the #? (can’t remember right now...)

Thanks
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Edu Camargo

Thanks guys for the replies.

I've been experimenting with these new parameters and now they make sense to me. So at present you'd have to insert a marker for each text you'd want to use for metadata writing.

As @ktm, I'd love to know about the complexities (if any) of integrating these separators into these wildcards, so you could use it as a way of interchange between DDP and file metadata; and all excluding the ! (exclamation mark) and # (pound) at the start of the name, which in DDP stand respectively as index 0, or pre-gap, and index 1 mark, or CD track start.

But I found the concept very useful especially for many batch rendering.

Thanks again,

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:18 PM   #7
SamWwise

Default You can use separators and it is really helpful for batch rendering!

Hey so I recently figured out how to actually use the $marker(Name)[] and $region(Name)[] wildcards.
Basically, it's a key-value pair that you can use to dynamically name your rendered files.

- The 'Name' is the key that it'll search for.
- In the square brackets [], you put the character(s) that separate your key-value pairs.

Here's an example of usage. Let's say I'm designing footsteps sounds for a videogame:

I'll have different sounds for different surfaces (grass, concrete, dirt...) and different paces (walk, jog, run...).
So I'd name my regions something like:
1. [surface=grass pace=walk]
2. [surface=grass pace=jog]
3. [surface=grass pace=run]
4. [surface=dirt pace=walk]
5. [surface=dirt pace=walk]
and so on and so forth...

Then in the file name field in the render window, I simply write "Player_Footsteps_$Region(surface)[ ]_$Region(pace)[ ]_$namenumber" and the outputs will be:
1. Player_Footsteps_Grass_Walk_1
2. Player_Footsteps_Grass_Jog_1
3. Player_Footsteps_Grass_Run_1
4. Player_Footsteps_Dirt_Walk_1
4. Player_Footsteps_Dirt_Walk_2

Since my key-value pairs are separated with a space character, I put a space inside the brackets [ ].
And quick tip: if you capitalize the first letter of a wildcard, the substitution's first letter will be capitalized (2 first letters capitalized = all word capitalized).

And there you got it!
Now, no need to separate you batcher renders in multiple batches. Just use key-value pairs in your marker's/region's names and you can render all in one batch!

Hope that clear things out !

Oh and another wildcard tip:
You can use empty items, add descriptive notes to them, place them in their related regions and then you can use entirely wildcards in the render file name field instead of relying on fixed values.
For example, I could've inserted an empty item with the note "Player_Footsteps" and then also have other regions with "Player_Screams", then type "$itemnotes_" at the beggining of the file name.
The great thing with that, is that if a key is not found in the marker/region name, no text is added. So the regions without any "surface" or "pace" simply won't have those in the file name.
SamWwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:39 PM   #8
Edu Camargo

Hi SamWwise!

Thanks a lot for your post.

At the time I posted this thread, the concept of separators weren't implemented. This took some updates to REAPER 6 to include such feature.

One of the great things about it is that you can build within a marker or region name all the information you need, especially if one decides to make extensive use of metadata. Plus, you can create a metadata preset with all the information you plan to extract from these markers and regions.

I use this concept of regions a lot on my masters today. Through REAPER I'm able to create digital files already properly tagged and set to go. I'm planning to sell digital stuff on my future site so I'm mastering this way of working with regions more and more.

Peace and God blessed!

Edu Camargo.