Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
gkurtenbach
Human being with feelings

Default Batch checking for source media outside of project folder

I'd like to able to answer the question "are there Reaper projects where any of the source media files are outside the project directory?"

As a rule, I set up projects so that media items are saved to a subfolder "Media" in the project folder. However, there are some cases where some source files end up being outside the project directory, especially in older projects where I wasn't careful about this sort of thing.

Now I know you can view the location of source media in the Project Media/FX Bay. However, since I have hundreds of project files, it would be wonderful if there was a way to do this checking in batch. Something like:

For every project in this folder tree
------report if the project has any source media outside the project path.

I am wondering if anyone else has cobbled something together to do this?

thanks!
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
MusoBob

This may help
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225489
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
gkurtenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
Thanks for the info.

I wrote a C++ app that takes a list of .RPP project files and checks each project if any of the source files are outside of the project's project folder. I used the cool app "Everything" to get the list of *.RPP files on my machine. Turned out there are about 850 reaper projects and out of them maybe 20 projects had some source files not in the project's project folder. I could find some of those source files and copied them into the project directory. Other source files were completely missing, probably deleted when cleaning up old folders.

So, the lesson is to be careful and ensure a project copies all its source files into the project folder at some point. Otherwise, those files might disappear if you clean/delete your other folders. I was surprised how some files managed to go missing.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote