Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #41
quasar333666
Human being with feelings

Default Using many efx

If you are like me, and use many cpu intensive effects (such as reverb), here is a nice trick to save cpu power and still use that linear phase eq:

Go to Options-->Preferences-->Audio and turn on the option that says: Do not process muted tracks.

Now you can render any tracks as needed to save cpu, in File-->Render, and then mute the original track. Wizzaam!

I also make a folder track and unclick master/parent in the routing options. Then I put all the muted tracks in that folder in case I need to go back and make a change and re-render.

I use the "set loop to selected items" hotkey often for this, as it makes the rendering process much quicker...

Enjoy the tasty bites!
quasar333666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #42
sebas777

Default A quick quasi-freeze. It's so COOL ;)

For instant "freeze" within one channel (pre-fader):

1) insert a Melodyne Plugin after all the effects (works also on stereo channels).

2) transfer audio to the plugin (just press the button and it will auto-transfer

3) bypass the other effects in the rack, leave only Melodyne on, but do not modify any of its parameters.

4) Melodyne plays the "frozen" track for you , and there's almost no CPU load.

5) If you save the project, all the frozen tracks are automatically saved in the Melodyne folder and they load with the project the next time you open it And if you want to delete them, just unload this instance of Melodyne, or you can also flush them manually.

Enjoy !
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #43
Bevosss

Default Move cursor by grid divisions

Currently there are no actions to move by bars, beats or fractions (8ths, 16ths, 32nds), so I wrote a ReaperScript that does this, using the function keys.

I've included two scripts, one jumps to regions, and one moves in grid divisions.

Both have the middle mouse button mapped to select on items...just click the middle mouse button and release, drag to select, and right-click to finish the selection.

F11 is mapped to 'delete file' if you abort recording.

Keypad (/) is mapped to stop recording, delete file, restart recording. (The (/) key does not work normally in Reaper. )

I've tested with the default keymap, all works fine here. Hopefully since I made it so easy, somebody else will try it.

Ok, I've made this dead easy and it works on the default keymap (DK).

Just download and unrar, and place the folder in ProgramFiles/REAPER. There's a shortcut to drag onto the desktop or start button.

Double click the shortcut to start, choose your script and press ok (or double click)

Reaper opens...press shift-F1 to see the mapped functions.

Press Alt-F1 to change to another script.

(Thanks to Art Evans for creating ReaperScript DIY!)

Enjoy!

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/21863/ReaperScripts.rar

*and markers here: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/23371/D...%20Markers.ini

Last edited by Bevosss; 06-27-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #44
Bevosss

I just added a ReaperScript for jumping to Markers 11-20 from the 'F' keys. Enjoy!

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/23371/D...%20Markers.ini
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #45
Bevosss

Default Automated Multi-Output VSTi Render

I mapped this to Shift-Alt-R...just select the output tracks, press your shortcut, and put your feet up.

Track:render selected tracks to stem tracks (and mute/bypass originals)
Item:select all items in selected tracks
Item edit:move items down one track
Track:remove selected tracks
Track:unmute all tracks

Works great for me here, I only mute tracks temporarily, if it's long-term I mute the items, so I prefer to automate the unmuting...disregard the last step if you differ, and unmute them manually.

I just tested this on some V-Drums recorded into EZ Drummer in a multi output folder, worked perfectly...but ymmv.

Try it if you're game!

Last edited by Bevosss; 06-19-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #46
emphryio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post

OR - as Justin points out - "You can also just do start->programs->REAPER->REAPER (reset configuration to factory defaults)".
Errr.. how does one undo that last bit of advice. My BP just jumped 100 points I think....

edited to add: Nevermind.

Last edited by emphryio; 06-27-2007 at 10:09 AM.
emphryio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #47
Bevosss

Default Macro Thread Here

I started a thread for macros here, lots of automated goodies like zoom, freeze, tools, rendering etc. Add your own if you have any, there's also a macro section in the new User Guide by Nicholas.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #48
pjs

Please make the Macro thread sticky! Very useful and I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come.
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #49
Bevosss

Default Macro Keymap and Help PDF

I've added the Macro Keymap and Help File HERE.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #50
pop_n_fresh

This won't be anything special to most of you but I thought it would be benefit people (like myself) who're new to digital recording, it's about using ReaFir to take out noise from your tracks without gating and possibly compromising some sound quality. Thanks to Fluffy for pointing this out.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=17
pop_n_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #51
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Takes are a very powerful and unique concept in Reaper.
With them we can create different versions of MIDI-clips and have them always available within the same item! No copying, no moving around, no exchanging, to test different melodies or variations. Just right click on a clip and choose the different take.
So i'd recommend, to open clips for editing as copies. Opening as a copy and saving the changes, creates a new take.

Example:
MIDI-clips on different tracks feed a track with a VSTi (+FXs).

You want to free up CPU, but have the MIDI data available for later editing without moving clips into subfolders or other administrative tasks.

Solution:
- Drag the MIDI clip to the track with the VSTi.
- Right click the clip and choose APPLY FX AS A NEW TAKE (this renders the sound and the resulting wav-file is attached to the MIDI-clip as a new TAKE).
- Drag the clip (it now consists of the original MIDI-clip as take 1 and as the audio-file as take 2) back on the original MIDI track.
- Now you can switch off FX on the VSTi-track.

So you have the MIDI rendered to audio, and if you want to switch back to MIDI for editing, simply right click the item and select the older (MIDI) take! Incredible.

If the rendered FX becomes cut off at the end of the clip, because the MIDI-clip ends, before the audio tail has faded out (i.e. because of a delay), this is also no problem for Reaper: before the render, simply extend the MIDI-clip by dragging the end to the right and choose APPLY FX AS A NEW TAKE afterwards.
Odin,
I've just found this, and applied it today.

You've saved me many hours of work writing orchestral projects. This is a much faster way of rendering for resource saving.

Thanks!

Alex.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #52
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
Odin,
I've just found this, and applied it today.

You've saved me many hours of work writing orchestral projects. This is a much faster way of rendering for resource saving.

Thanks!

Alex.
And I just found this because of your find. Killer for production speed. Also, using shortcut keys to select the takes as Reaper is playing back really speeds things up.

Shane
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #53
steadyrev

Default THEY ARE WATCHING YOU!

Found this at Wavosaur:

http://www.wavosaur.com/tutorials/ho...move-noise.php
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #54
Bevosss

Default Syncing to other Daws/Tempo Mapping/Warping to the Grid

These threads will sink and disappear soon, so here's the links:

Syncing REAPER to other DAWs

Tempo Mapping

Warping to the Grid
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #55
labyrinth

Default Finding the Tempo

Many probably already know how to do this, but here's a tutorial for it.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/1123/Findin...ps%20Tempo.doc
Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #56
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
Many probably already know how to do this, but here's a tutorial for it.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/1123/Findin...ps%20Tempo.doc
I can't open it...I get an error message (unable to open graphics conversion filter)

There's another method here for it as well... http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=14

Last edited by Bevosss; 04-20-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #57
labyrinth

Basically is the same thing as that Bevoss.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #58
Bevosss

Default Inserting multiple consecutive files from the media explorer

Here's a tip to avoid Reaper inserting your consecutive files back to front/upside down order (when using the right-click actions, 'insert into project' and 'insert into project on new track')...

Click on 'name' in the explorer so the files read in ascending order...then they will insert correctly!

Back to front I know, but it works...(a windows fault apparently).

Discussed here: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21631
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #59
ed209

I'm excited as a virgin over my newly found ability to map my mousebrowser + and --keys to shortcuts.

Although I'm sure I'm late to the party, I hope someone finds it as exciting and fresh as I to be able to split item under mouse cursor with the mouse alone.

It is great.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
I'm excited as a virgin over my newly found ability to map my mousebrowser + and --keys to shortcuts.

Although I'm sure I'm late to the party, I hope someone finds it as exciting and fresh as I to be able to split item under mouse cursor with the mouse alone.

It is great.
To add to your excitement you could also try enabling the option in the general section inside the advanced options called somethin like "enable key commands whilst still using the mouse". This allows you to do things like scrubbing and then cutting whilst still scrubbing
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #61
musicbynumbers

Edit: oops, wrong tips and tricks thread. I meant to post it in the google doc one still good stuff in here!
It is possible to reassign the "esc" (escape key) to only clear the time selection instead of clearing time and loop selection.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 09-11-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #62
hcm2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar333666 View Post
If you are like me, and use many cpu intensive effects (such as reverb), here is a nice trick to save cpu power and still use that linear phase eq:

Go to Options-->Preferences-->Audio and turn on the option that says: Do not process muted tracks.

Now you can render any tracks as needed to save cpu, in File-->Render, and then mute the original track. Wizzaam!

I also make a folder track and unclick master/parent in the routing options. Then I put all the muted tracks in that folder in case I need to go back and make a change and re-render.

I use the "set loop to selected items" hotkey often for this, as it makes the rendering process much quicker...

Enjoy the tasty bites!
Thanks for the post
hcm2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #63
ed209

If you click either tcp or mcp mute or solo, and drag to another track's solo or mute button, you will solo or mute all tracks between as well. Well, I didn't know that until two minutes ago anyway...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #64
Fabian

Default Toggle FX bypass

For A/B'ing FX chains on a specific track, you can do the following:
1. In the FX window, set up the two chains, one after the other.
2. Bypass all the FX in one of the chains
3. Select both chains (Ctrl+A), play.
4. Pressing Ctrl+B in the FX window now toggles bypass for the two chains.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #65
BenK-msx

Default probably old-hat

I am an admittadly "do i have to?" midi user (i never got into piano roll after a decade of tracking!), and i got frustrated today trying to make a selection of a midi take into a looped section to drag out for rest of song once those few bars were edited tight.

i thought recording with time selection auto punch would do it, but it doesnt make a loop the length of selection amongst other niggles..

the 'item copy looped portion' action means you still have to then paste loop in to place and then no doubt get rid of the original, but its ok, trimming to length and gluing is a better bet but I didn't want to have to use glue - EDIT: well, am going to have to lump it as my setting 'loop source' after 'trim' method relies on the action that only appears as a toggler at the moment so sometimes it doesn't work as expected! -sigh-.

anyway best of the bunch is a childlike 2 line macro of:
trim selected item to selected area -
glue item

select section to loop - hit key and drag it out.
should be as easy native, but hey, its easy now so i'm not complaining. more for new midi folk i guess, but handy.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #66
Hitch

May I ask the forum members to post in this sticky thread more frequently, please? There's a lot of useful information in many other threads that could find a happy home here.

My tip? Right-click and ask questions.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #67
musicbynumbers

Default GREAT PREVIEW ITEM MACRO :)

Here's a custom action list that I think improves on the already great sws command for previewing items;

It allows you to just hover the mouse over an item (no need to select it) and simply press the button assigned to the below custom action to audition that sound (with pan and fades intact) without loosing your previous selection. It's very fast for working out what sound is what

-SWS: save selected item(s)
-item: Select item under mouse cursor
-Xenakios/SWS: Preview selected media item (toggle)
-SWS: Restore saved selected item(s)

My one little problem is that it plays back pre fader volume so it can be quite loud compared to your actual mix, Will contact Tim and ask him if it's possible for either a post fader or just an additional command 6dB lower.

ADDITIONAL:

another thing you can do is assign just the preview action (without toggle) to toolbar icon and then if you right click it (to make it active) you can then preview every item you select straight away but still be able to move and copy them, great for a scene I just did with lots of gun shots and splintering wood

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 03-03-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #68
musicbynumbers

Default Additon to above - audition sample from anywhere not just the beginning! ;)

This one allows you to audition just the hovered over item from anywhere you have the mouse cursor so you can press it half way through the item and hear it from there

Have the split tool nearby and voila

The only bad thing it does is will add env points to item volume and pan..

-SWS: save selected item(s)
-Item: Split item under mouse cursor (select right)
-Xenakios/SWS: Preview selected media item
-SWS: Add item(s) to left of the selected item(s) to selection
-Item: Heal splits in selected items
-SWS: Restore saved selected item(s)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #69
herovsvillain

I don't know if someone said this already, but I believe that if you have a drum track, you should always add JS: LOSER/Saturation and set it to 100%. I don't know why, but it just makes it sound better (to me at least.)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #70
AtmanActive

Default Implode 2 mono to 1 stereo, and, get rid of takes

You've imported some multitrack project and now you have 16 mono tracks, but these are actualy stereo pairs so you would like to end up with 8 stereo tracks. No problem, import this to your actions, and use it:

Implode 2 mono items to 1 stereo item.ReaperKeyMap

---

You like to record MIDI or audio in a loop to nail down the exact groove for that phrase you're been working on for hours, but then when you want to play it back so you can chop up the pieces you like, takes system (which is indeed magnificient in other situations) gets in your way. This is the exact moment where you would like to have your recorded track played back continously, regardless of how you've recorded it - cyclic. No problem, import this to your actions and use it:

Explode all takes (in order, glued).ReaperKeyMap

---

As always, SWS Extensions are required (Reaper wouldn't be REAPER without them )
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #71
reggiev

Default installing dx and dxi efects into reaper

hi there i can see all the vst and vsti software effects tht i install but i having a problem intalling any other type of effects into the reaper effects bin,can i get some assistance in this situation please,thank you.
reggiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 AM   #72
jacques mk2

Default Splash

hi there
Love love love this prog but...
Can't find an easy way to change splash screen on Reaper v3.651 !!!...any idea ???
cheers
Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #73
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques mk2 View Post
hi there
Love love love this prog but...
Can't find an easy way to change splash screen on Reaper v3.651 !!!...any idea ???
cheers
Preferences>General>Advanced UI/System Tweaks
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #74
jacques mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Preferences>General>Advanced UI/System Tweaks
Many thanks mate...
Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #75
Highengate

also very handy:

if you use some vocoder, or reavoice and stuff, you dont always have to route midi to the audio. instead, you can enable free item positioning on a track,
so you run both, midi and audio on one track. the midi will trigger the vst which needs it to form the audio, without having to be routed from some other track.

a good way to keep your project away from becoming unoverseeable due to too many tracks...
Highengate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #76
zappsunzorn

If you have loops and time selection unlinked and you have "draw labels above rather than within the item" selected in your preferences you can move the time selection left and right by shit+click and dragging on the track labels, or in the area under all the tracks.

The loop selection can be moved the same way by clicking in the numbers area of the ruler.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #77
Arnar

Default How to make your keyboard control filter cutoff. Wobble bass.

Track 1 with audio source and the filter in question.
Track 2 set to Midi input from your controller.

Put REasynth (it's light) on track 2 , set to square and fast attack etc.
Drag IO button from Track 2 to track 1 to create a send.
Send from Track 2 Audio 1-2 to Audio 3-4 on Track 1.

Either select a pre send and bring down the Fader on track 2 if you don't want to hear the (trigger synth) or just ALt click on the on the IO button , that will remove trigger from master.

Now you go to track one , select plugin , select the parameter that you wish to control by touching it or moving it slightly.Reaper will remember that while you go to the upper right corner of the plugin window and find Param. Open that and select parameter modulation.

There you select Audio signal as the modulator.

Take notice of the TRACK CHANNEL option , there you will select the 3-4 Input that you just created as a send from track 2 as the modulator.

Put audio on track one , play keyboard on track 2 and open your filter by playing the keys. Tweak response and settings to your liking in the parameter modulation window and in REasynth.

Then you save as track template and you never have to set it up again.

Keep in mind that the track now also will open up according to a midi file, now that's obvious but what isn't so apparent is that when you save your track template , you can save media as well.

That means trigger patterns can be saved with the template and imported as well , stacked as takes , use T to switch takes and rythm's.

That's what I do.

Now ,if you left the TRACK CHANNEL at 1-2 then the Track itself will control the modulation , set to 3-4 and your send from track 2 will control it.

Set it to neither and select an lfo.

Have fun.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #78
dsp

rendering a take (or bounce inplace as i like to call it) then replacing the old take

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...228#post621228

i do this in cubase very often so could not live without it.

just need right click apply fx from list as an option now
dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #79
tehbr00tz

I'm going to flat-out ask..

How in the crap do you make a wobble, like in Chrispy's Inspector Gadget remix?

That's probably an annoying question, but, seriously, I can't figure it out at all.
I'm a complete noob to Reaper, so, that doesn't help. I'll need step by step instructions if anyone's willing to give it a shot.

If not, that's cool, too! Just trying to get some help.
tehbr00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #80
musicroom

Default Something I didn't know

I had Reaper open and was dragging/dropping media files when I inadvertently grabbed a Reaper Project file and dropped it on top of Reaper's TCP. Prompted and opened right up. Cool. (same practice worked with Sonar too).

_