Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #41
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder_sticks View Post
I believe Kenny has developed this style of speaking in his tutorials to keep the speed of his delivery a bit slower than he may normally speak. I have been purchasing his videos since he first had tutorials on sale on Groove3. Personally I find the information and the delivery to work for me quite well and so do a lot of others. Maybe finding a tutorial maker that is more to your liking would be an option. Many tutorials available.
Just wanted to add that many of the people who watch these videos do not speak English as their first language. So I also slow it down a bit for them. As they have reached out to me on many occasions to tell me just that.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #42
europa_man

Default No Explanation Necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Just wanted to add that many of the people who watch these videos do not speak English as their first language. So I also slow it down a bit for them. As they have reached out to me on many occasions to tell me just that.

Thanks
All the videos that Kenny produces are first rate!
The pace & the presentations are 100% professional.
They are precise, clear and always contain valuable information.
No to need to explain your methods to anyone.

Please do not change your teaching style one bit.
Many of your Reaper videos are priceless.

You are providing us with recording & Reaper subject material that that no one else is covering.

Please keep up the good work!

Eric
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #43
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post

You are providing us with recording & Reaper subject material that that no one else is covering.

Eric
Thank you.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #44
gibi25

Quote:

Thanks
I'm French, my english is really basic.
The way Kenny speaks is perfect for me.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #45
Moocow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroy View Post
Good tutorials but breaks between words are horrible. Is hard to listen this.
I find the videos highly valuable and they have taught me a lot (in addition to many hours spent reading the manual, reading forum threads etc). Thanks Kenny.

When the pace feels a bit slow (especially for something I'm generally familiar with), I make use of YouTube's 'Speed' feature.

I often watch Kenny's videos at 1.5x or 2x speed. How? In YouTube, click settings, then speed, then select the pace you want.

Then slow down again for the parts of particular interest. What's right for you will depend on how much you already know, how good your English is, whether you can understand US English (hey, I'm a kiwi) and in how much detail you want to learn (sometimes I'm just after an overview of what is possible).
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #46
noise_construct

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post

Eric
I find the videos unwatchable due to the unprofessional voiceover, he has some sort of speech impediment making pronunciation unclear and can't phrase sentences naturally, words come in short 3-word machine gun bursts with uncomfortable breaks between the bursts.

Not his fault obviously, not everyone is born a presenter, but maybe making videos is not for him.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #47
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
I find the videos unwatchable due to the unprofessional voiceover, he has some sort of speech impediment making pronunciation unclear and can't phrase sentences naturally, words come in short 3-word machine gun bursts with uncomfortable breaks between the bursts.

Not his fault obviously, not everyone is born a presenter, but maybe making videos is not for him.
A bit of advice:

I would seriously consider changing your handle or username on this forum. It's gotten to the point where most of us don't need to read your posts to know what you're going to say. I fear that posting under this same name has become a severe waste of your time as your thoughts are not being taken seriously.

On the other hand, you might want to consider not posting at all. As the value of your posts vs time spent crafting them is probably doing you and anyone who reads them more harm than good.

Not your fault obviously, not everyone is born an asset to this community, but maybe sharing your opinion is not for you.

All the best

Kenny
Old 10-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #48
vanhaze

Wahahahahaha, good !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #49
ivansc

Kenny - I only get to see what noise_create posts these days via other people quoting him, but dont you think you were a little long-winded in your last post? I coudl say it all in one word, well three at most.

Me? I think he does it just to get a rise out of everyone. Hence he is on my ignore list - best place for him.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #50
edwood75

Quote:
A bit of advice:

I would seriously consider changing your handle or username on this forum. It's gotten to the point where most of us don't need to read your posts to know what you're going to say. I fear that posting under this same name has become a severe waste of your time as your thoughts are not being taken seriously.

On the other hand, you might want to consider not posting at all. As the value of your posts vs time spent crafting them is probably doing you and anyone who reads them more harm than good.

Not your fault obviously, not everyone is born an asset to this community, but maybe sharing your opinion is not for you.

All the best

Kenny
Hey Kenny,

Just to say that i have been using DAWs for almost 20 years. I watched some of your videos when i was changing to REAPER. I still use PT in parallel so your videos are even better as you are also a PT user. I watch your videos whenever there is a new one or if i feel to consolidate certain areas that i don't use often or haven't used for a period. You sir, have the gift of being pedagogic and the gift of turning off the complicator, which i find a tremendous asset both for beginners or new ones to REAPER. Meanwhile you still have time to answer questions here in the forum and participate in the discussions towards the development and the workflow of the program.

Thanks for the generosity, thank you Kenny.
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #51
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood75 View Post
Hey Kenny,

Just to say that i have been using DAWs for almost 20 years. I watched some of your videos when i was changing to REAPER. I still use PT in parallel so your videos are even better as you are also a PT user. I watch your videos whenever there is a new one or if i feel to consolidate certain areas that i don't use often or haven't used for a period. You sir, have the gift of being pedagogic and the gift of turning off the complicator, which i find a tremendous asset both for beginners or new ones to REAPER. Meanwhile you still have time to answer questions here in the forum and participate in the discussions towards the development and the workflow of the program.

Thanks for the generosity, thank you Kenny.
Very nice of you to say.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 02:40 AM   #52
zacki

Quote:
A bit of advice:

All the best

Kenny
Longtime overdue words. Set to ignore list (again)...

Thank you for your videos!
zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #53
heda

I like Kenny's videos. He explains it very well, and slowly for anyone who has never used REAPER, with several ways to do things, and in depth. I always learn something on every video even if I consider myself knowing REAPER very well. He always has good tips or interesting ways to use REAPER. The voice is good for tutorials and easy to understand for non english native speakers like me. Thanks Kenny!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #54
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacki View Post
Longtime overdue words. Set to ignore list (again)...

Thank you for your videos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I like Kenny's videos. He explains it very well, and slowly for anyone who has never used REAPER, with several ways to do things, and in depth. I always learn something on every video even if I consider myself knowing REAPER very well. He always has good tips or interesting ways to use REAPER. The voice is good for tutorials and easy to understand for non english native speakers like me. Thanks Kenny!
Thanks guys.

The sad thing about non-constructive criticism is that it discourages other people from making videos or creating themes, scripts etc.

I don't see that as a good thing.

Thanks

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 10-16-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #55
trevlyns

Don't you change a thing Kenny - your style and clarity is much appreciated by technophobe Over the Hill Billies like me.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 AM   #56
vanhaze

+1000 !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #57
airon

I can see how the style may be a little fast for some folks whose first language is not English with a NuYawk accent.

The Youtube speed setting won't help them much. Their algorithm is rather silly, and a 75% speed setting might have worked better than straight 50%, which is the next speed down from 100%.

I'd probably download them and use a decent media player, or indeed Reaper itself . You get a great choice of playback algorithms there. I recommend "Elastique 2.28 Soloist" set to "Speech". Right-click on the PLAYRATE slider and have it preserve the pitch, and you're off to the races.

The Close Captions in Youtube work well on these videos. Another good option for anyone having trouble understanding everything.

Another tip. On Windows in the Firefox browser(probably Chrome and all others too), use the J , K and L keys to REWIND 10 seconds, pause/play and FASTWORWARD 10 seconds.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #58
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post

I always admire your incredible friendly style of saying things. So nice and warm. I am glad we have a special group for this kinda people: the ignore list. So congratulations to you sir to be the first for me on this list.
But it is not your fault obviously, not everyone is a born nice person, but making comments in a forum is not for you.

On topic: please Kenny, stay as great as you are. I am not native English and am able to understand everything you say. Thank you for your very much!
And thank you also for your great comment on the above mentioned moron!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #59
Lawrence

For Christ's sake, the videos are (afaict) free. If you don't find them useful, don't watch them, or if you think you can do it better, do it.

[/Entitlement]

I for one chuckled at the NewYawk rythymn and accent when I first heard Kenny, but that has nothing to do with anything. I'd say unless you paid him for tutorials, stfu.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #60
sammydix

Been using FF for many years and never knew about J K L. Thanks for that!

A Reaper tutorial wo Kenny, just doesn't feel right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I can see how the style may be a little fast for some folks whose first language is not English with a NuYawk accent.

The Youtube speed setting won't help them much. Their algorithm is rather silly, and a 75% speed setting might have worked better than straight 50%, which is the next speed down from 100%.

I'd probably download them and use a decent media player, or indeed Reaper itself . You get a great choice of playback algorithms there. I recommend "Elastique 2.28 Soloist" set to "Speech". Right-click on the PLAYRATE slider and have it preserve the pitch, and you're off to the races.

The Close Captions in Youtube work well on these videos. Another good option for anyone having trouble understanding everything.

Another tip. On Windows in the Firefox browser(probably Chrome and all others too), use the J , K and L keys to REWIND 10 seconds, pause/play and FASTWORWARD 10 seconds.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #61
X-Raym

Hi,

On Tempo Mapping video, at the end, Kenny shows how on Mac you can press CMD to move a tempo marker, adjusting it's position, and the tempo value of the previous marker.

I don't succeed to reproduce that on windows: with CTRL, it just change the previous tempo marker value, but don't adjust position of the current one.

Can anyone reproduce on windows ?

it may be a bug, or maybe just a user pref.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #62
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Hi,

On Tempo Mapping video, at the end, Kenny shows how on Mac you can press CMD to move a tempo marker, adjusting it's position, and the tempo value of the previous marker.

I don't succeed to reproduce that on windows: with CTRL, it just change the previous tempo marker value, but don't adjust position of the current one.

Can anyone reproduce on windows ?

it may be a bug, or maybe just a user pref.
Is it possible you have the ruler set to only show "beats" and therefore you don't notice you're actually moving it?

Try setting it to show Beats and Time.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #63
X-Raym

@kenny
I did a test on fresh install:

it works as expected.

I don't know what is wrong with my config,

any idea ?
Old 10-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #64
Kenny Gioia

project settings -> timebase for tempo/timesig envelope is set to time rather than beats
Old 10-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #65
X-Raym

@kenny
It works !

I find this behavior a bit surprising. but it works.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #66
andycamb

Default Hail King Kenny

Just like to say thanks Kenny... As an oldie in my 60s battling with the newfangled technology. (Most of my stuff is ancient analogue gear.) Your tutorials have been invaluable and excellent... Long may you reign...
By the way is there another way to set all of selected midi notes to the same value other than by highlighting them all and dragging them to maximum volume, then lowering them again? If there is that would be handy.
andycamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #67
trevlyns

You'd have to select them first - obviously; but then just hit Ctrl+F2 to bring up this dialog box.

Last edited by trevlyns; 02-02-2017 at 05:34 AM.
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:29 AM   #68
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif rjslaps.gif (59.2 KB, 1673 views)
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #69
Strangebrew66

Default King Kenny

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Kenny for his hard work in producing, for me, perfect tutorials. I wouldn't change a thing.

I purchased Reaper this year and, though I don't get much time to really dig into it, I've watched many of his videos. Sometimes, I'll watch one in a spare moment, purely because they're always informative and I love the presentation. I always learn something new and he's become a beacon to many, without doubt.
As I searched for a Daw, Reaper kept coming up. From a certain point, I knew this was the one for me. From Justin, through all the folk who have poured their hearts into making Reaper what it is, I'm sure that it's the closest thing to a labour of love that you'll find. I love it, too. My method is about familiarising myself with Reaper, bit by bit. I haven't touched the tip of what's possible, within the Reaper environment but am still excited about what I've learned already.
There are others that I haven't mentioned but that seem to have the same love for Reaper. I've scanned the forums before and seen pretty much the same thing... A community who want to solve others' problems. So satisfying to be a part of it all.
Since this was about "King" Kenny (Apologies, if the title is unwanted, Mr.G!) I'll end by saying that the tutorials, like Reaper itself, far exceed anything I ever imagined. So, thank you to you, Kenny. You're invaluable to me and many others. Keep up the excellent work! It's greatly appreciated. And thank you to everybody else who've helped others through various problems... It helped me, too. I made the right choice with Reaper.
Strangebrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 AM   #70
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangebrew66 View Post
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Kenny for his hard work in producing, for me, perfect tutorials. I wouldn't change a thing.

I purchased Reaper this year and, though I don't get much time to really dig into it, I've watched many of his videos. Sometimes, I'll watch one in a spare moment, purely because they're always informative and I love the presentation. I always learn something new and he's become a beacon to many, without doubt.
As I searched for a Daw, Reaper kept coming up. From a certain point, I knew this was the one for me. From Justin, through all the folk who have poured their hearts into making Reaper what it is, I'm sure that it's the closest thing to a labour of love that you'll find. I love it, too. My method is about familiarising myself with Reaper, bit by bit. I haven't touched the tip of what's possible, within the Reaper environment but am still excited about what I've learned already.
There are others that I haven't mentioned but that seem to have the same love for Reaper. I've scanned the forums before and seen pretty much the same thing... A community who want to solve others' problems. So satisfying to be a part of it all.
Since this was about "King" Kenny (Apologies, if the title is unwanted, Mr.G!) I'll end by saying that the tutorials, like Reaper itself, far exceed anything I ever imagined. So, thank you to you, Kenny. You're invaluable to me and many others. Keep up the excellent work! It's greatly appreciated. And thank you to everybody else who've helped others through various problems... It helped me, too. I made the right choice with Reaper.
Thank you. It means a lot.

King Kenny.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #71
K8ch

Couldn't agree more. Kenny's tutorials are stellar. He presents things in a very logical manner, and points out the nuances/bugs/anomalies along the way.

You won't find anyone -better- at presenting a given subject, than Kenny, that's for certain.

Peace,

K8ch
Old 12-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #72
Strangebrew66

Couldn't agree more. Kenny's tutorials are stellar. He presents things in a very logical manner, and points out the nuances/bugs/anomalies along the way.

You won't find anyone -better- at presenting a given subject, than Kenny, that's for certain.

Absolutely.

And thank you, Kenny, for your response. Look forward to more tutorials and, also, revisiting previous ones. They're beautiful creations and you don't waste a single second. Proud to be a part of it.

(Sorry K8ch...not sure how to properly quote!)

Last edited by Strangebrew66; 12-13-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Unwanted characters
Strangebrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 AM   #73
StratMcBadlyHandle

Default Thanks so much!

One of the reasons I bought Reaper was its wealth of documentation and Kenny's excellent video lessons. Really appreciate the the work that has been put into those videos. Hat's off to you, man and thanks again.

May your life be filled with happy surprises!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #74
G-Sun

Kenny,
watching you videos, I always learn a lot.
And it strikes me,
I guess few know Reaper as well as you do.
It would be interesting to see how you personal workspace and workflow is.
Both in Reaper and Studio as a whole.
Or, maybe you've done a video about that?

Last edited by G-Sun; 01-10-2017 at 06:50 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #75
trevlyns

+1 for G-Sun! Studio tour please
Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #76
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Kenny,
watching you videos, I always learn a lot.
And it strikes me,
I guess few know Reaper as well as you do.
Not really. I still research a lot before making a video and sometimes that means watching my own videos.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how you personal workspace and workflow is.
Both in Reaper and Studio as a whole.
Or, maybe you've done a video about that?
You can get an idea of Mixing workflow in this tutorial:

http://www.kennymania.com/product/mi...el_time-vol_1/

Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #77
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMcBadlyHandle View Post
One of the reasons I bought Reaper was its wealth of documentation and Kenny's excellent video lessons. Really appreciate the the work that has been put into those videos. Hat's off to you, man and thanks again.

May your life be filled with happy surprises!
Thank you.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #78
G-Sun

Quote:
I still research a lot before making a video and sometimes that means watching my own videos.
Well, you're doing good research then
Quote:

Thanks!
I have problems founding fresh strings at the moment,
so, can't really afford it to have a peak.
But, no offense, you do excellent videos and deserves payment for your good work.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #79
tgraph

Default a video request

Hi Kenny, I've got a lot of good information from your videos and appreciate the time you put into doing them.

I would like to see one on using reference tracks... easy ways to set them up, to match volumes, track routing ideas... how to set them up for useful work.

Thanks.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #80
Srender

Quote:
Not really. I still research a lot before making a video and sometimes that means watching my own videos.

Thanks
Bought Mixing in Reel Time. It's 8-hours of looking over Kenny's shoulder watching every move he makes in his workflow. I'm 45 minutes into it (following along myself in Reaper), and I already have more than my money's worth. Highly recommended.
Srender is offline   Reply With Quote