Old 09-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #1
beany
Human being with feelings

Default not even rendering without pops & crackles

Hi Guys, I am pulling my hair out here!!! I bought a new Dell XPS8940 i7 gen 11 a month or so ago just to run reaper but I'm having lots of problems with cracks and pops etc. I can't even render down to mp3 without it crackling and that is with my audio interface disconnected so buffer sizing is not the issue. What I see though is one or two CPUs getting to 80/90% whilst the others at 7-10%.

can anyone help with this? Is there a way to stop single cpu cores from running so high by splitting across less utilised cores? - or anything else? Have I bought a white elephant in this DELL??
cheers

Last edited by beany; 09-15-2021 at 11:24 AM.
beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Stella645

Follow a good configuration guide.

https://confluence.merging.com/displ...+Configuration

Run LatencyMon with nothing else running and see what it reports.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Try to avoid long chains of plugs on the master bus to help with core loading. (Any long chain from track through bus to master is likely to load a single core)
Make a pre master and put master bus plugs there instead (to take advantage of anticipative FX)
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
beany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Follow a good configuration guide.

https://confluence.merging.com/displ...+Configuration

Run LatencyMon with nothing else running and see what it reports.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Try to avoid long chains of plugs on the master bus to help with core loading. (Any long chain from track through bus to master is likely to load a single core)
Make a pre master and put master bus plugs there instead (to take advantage of anticipative FX)
Thanks. I'll take a look at these. I had no FX on master bus at all. I only had 10 tracks and only Cockos FX 3xEQ 2xCompressor, 2x reverb. I routed all the tracks to a single stereo track that I disconnected from the master. I was then rendering just that track to mp3. I later did it to a video render and the crackles we much less but still not gone. Im a noob so nothing i'm doing is complicated lol! - thanks
Old 09-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
karbomusic

I'm not sure why rendering would cause pops and clicks, it doesn't even need the audio driver to do that and it isn't dependent on real-time the way playback is. Maybe post a screenshot of your render settings in case there is something obvious we can't see.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:10 AM   #5
Stella645

Yeah sounds like your workload is very light....so can you just confirm if you are getting crackles in playback too or is it only in rendering??

If it's in playback do check through what I listed before. If it's only in render then something else is going on.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:00 AM   #6
beany

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm not sure why rendering would cause pops and clicks, it doesn't even need the audio driver to do that and it isn't dependent on real-time the way playback is. Maybe post a screenshot of your render settings in case there is something obvious we can't see.
Latencymon showed up issues with nvidia card so I've uninstalled it and thinkg seem quite stable now. Renders mp3 okay too. Thanks
Old 09-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany View Post
Latencymon showed up issues with nvidia card so I've uninstalled it and thinkg seem quite stable now. Renders mp3 okay too. Thanks
You should be able to use Nvidia OK with some tweaks.

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost...&postcount=270
Old 09-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany View Post
For playback sure.... But I'm trying to understand how rendering... where Reaper can wait as long as needed for the CPU to free up (because we aren't dealing with audio playback which is time sensitive), causes pops and clicks in the render. The only thing that should occur is a longer render time. That's why I was wondering what the actual render settings were.

If removing the driver helps, it helps and I've heard of it before but it isn't making sense to me.